Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA rules changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I've never run the car on 888s only ra1 and an old set of R6s, the rear is a soft as it can go...I have my own suspicions but which particular handling traits are you trying to dial out with the softening of the rear?...
Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Oh christ... You mean I was the only one NOT cheating?? I made a point of running without a flash because I'd know.... Whats the fun in that?
Your car was a 2001 996, but a 3.6 ? - It had to have a different ECU in it.
If your ECU was a Koni ECU then I'd bet cash it was flashed, if you changed it back to stock then good for you. Although there were probably some other changes that you may not have been aware of that should keep it from being truly a GTB car.
We took the high route and just ran our 3.6Liter 996 (non-Koni car) but with many mods in PCA GT3S, then it's an easy classification with no questions. When being tech'd, Dan Jacobs asked me why it wasn't in GTB, I rattled off a few items and then added because it wouldn't be right, nor legal. I could have gotten away with the items I told him but I'd rather be legal and in GT3S we were clearly legal.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Come on guys. You all don't really think that all spec cars are created equal and that the wallet doesn't matter, do you?
The more Spec it can be made the better. As the rules sit currently the cars are not Spec no, but why add to that ? If you don't want a Spec class then run GT in PCA (GTS in NASA) with it and have some real fun spending money and going faster !

I promise with the open cage rules, you can build a better handling Boxster, with the open exhaust after headers rule you can build a higher hp exhaust, I have already proven this, as well as a few others I know.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

No - the 996 Koni GTB1 (now gone in little pieces to Koni heaven) had a 3.6 X51 motor with a matching Porsche ECU. No GrandAm ECU in there.

Stock programming was confirmed while what turned out to be a wiring fault was being diagnosed.

Last edited by dan212; 07-18-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

No - the 996 Koni GTB1 (now gone in little pieces to Koni heaven) had a 3.6 X51 motor with a matching Porsche ECU. No GrandAm ECU in there.

Stock programming was confirmed while what turned out to be a wiring fault was being diagnosed.
Porsche ECU I didn't doubt, but unflashed ? ? ? As in stock OEM Porsche flash with no maps on top of original flash ? Unlikely. At least unlikely if it was ever a competitive Koni car.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heads up it appears that the deadline for feedback is August 1st not October 1st.

Copied from the PCA.org website.

"Per PCA Club Racing Rules the Comment Submission period on the 2013 Rule Change Proposals is open until August 1st. Please submit comments to crrules@pca.org"
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Heads up it appears that the deadline for feedback is August 1st not October 1st.

Copied from the PCA.org website.

"Per PCA Club Racing Rules the Comment Submission period on the 2013 Rule Change Proposals is open until August 1st. Please submit comments to crrules@pca.org"
Their are multiple dates and sorry if I confused anyone. But here it is.

Deadline dates are
Change Proposal submissions June 1st.
Final date to submit comments regarding proposals Oct 1st
Date they actually decide which proposals to make rules by Oct. 15

Here is the process as copied from the PCA Rule book.

2012 PCA Club Racing Rules page 35
RULES REVIEW PROCEDURES
PCA Club Racing has established an annual process for considering changes to these rules. The specific events and approximate
annual dates for this process are as follows:
March 15 Notification in Club Racing News and on the PCA Club Racing website that proposed rules changes may
be submitted between April 1 and June 1.
April 1 Opening date for submission of proposed rules changes.
June 1 Final date for submission of rules revision suggestions to the Club Racing Committee.
June and July Technical/Rules Committee and Stewards review suggestions and formulate proposed revisions for the
coming year.
August 1 Proposed revisions published for comment either in the Club Racing Newsletter, on the PCA Club Racing
website, or by separate mailing to all licensed racers.
October 1 Final date for submission of comments to the Club Racing Technical Chairman.
October 15 Proposed revisions reconsidered in light of comments and submitted to the Club Racing Chairman and
his/her Advisory Committee for approval.
November 1 Final revisions published in Club Racing Newsletter, on the PCA Club Racing website, or by separate
mailing to all licensed racers to take effect January 1.
NOTE: Changes in safety related rules are at the discretion of the National PCA Club Racing Committee and may or may not be
part of this procedure.

Last edited by onefastviking; 07-19-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Engine was changed from Koni days. X51 and ECU were installed together. No flash.. Ran 93 octane too.

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Porsche ECU I didn't doubt, but unflashed ? ? ? As in stock OEM Porsche flash with no maps on top of original flash ? Unlikely. At least unlikely if it was ever a competitive Koni car.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Let the difference in the cars all be in the drivers seat, not in the garage or wallet.
Bingo
Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

If SPB changes make shocks and springs free, then that kills the class since it's no longer spec. Spec means everyone runs the same stuff. Spec Miata does not allow custom valving and any spring rate. You buy the spec suspension from Mazda Speed. Spec e30 doesn't allow these types of variables either. If you allow that, might as well buy Hoosiers and run in E class like Gary said.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
If SPB changes make shocks and springs free, then that kills the class since it's no longer spec. Spec means everyone runs the same stuff.
A "spec" class is only as limited as the rules make it. The Spec 911 class is a certainly a spec class but it offers much more freedom than either SPB or SM.

Any rule changes should be up to the people that run in the class.

Scott
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Engine was changed from Koni days. X51 and ECU were installed together. No flash.. Ran 93 octane too.
Dan do you have dyno numbers for that motor? I'm curious as the 2 I've seen dyno'd here are only 305 and 309 on a Dynojet. I expected more....
Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by winders
Any rule changes should be up to the people that run in the class. Scott
Exactly....
Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Any rule changes should be up to the people that run in the class.

Scott
JR - I too agree 100% with this which is why I haven't sent my thoughts to PCA. I have been very vocal to make sure all the PCA SPB racers know and understand what is being proposed.
I feel SPB has great potential as a Spec class. Getting the rules between PCA and NASA to be the same this year was a move that is sure to help both PCA, NASA, and the class growth of SPB. A massive change in those rules would be bad,in my opinion. Not to mention it's not in the spirit of the Spec Boxster original thoughts when the class was first started.

I guess I could send my thoughts since I maintain a few SPB's and have built 1 and am currently building another. I also will probably be a co-driver in one in an enduro in the near future so technically I guess I am a future Spec Boxster racer.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:31 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

JR - I too agree 100% with this which is why I haven't sent my thoughts to PCA. I have been very vocal to make sure all the PCA SPB racers know and understand what is being proposed.
I feel SPB has great potential as a Spec class. Getting the rules between PCA and NASA to be the same this year was a move that is sure to help both PCA, NASA, and the class growth of SPB. A massive change in those rules would be bad,in my opinion. Not to mention it's not in the spirit of the Spec Boxster original thoughts when the class was first started.

I guess I could send my thoughts since I maintain a few SPB's and have built 1 and am currently building another. I also will probably be a co-driver in one in an enduro in the near future so technically I guess I am a future Spec Boxster racer.
You can drive too?....

Quick Reply: PCA rules changes