Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driver skills. Ban waving.

Just to be clear about my earlier post:

1. criticism of the driver's incompetence and evident lack of skill and preparation is aimed at the driver, not the incident..

2. waving is practically invisible and entirely inappropriate between drivers at speed on the track in a DE or a race. This is unrelated to tasks such as a radio or brake bias or any number of functions related to driving. It's also unrelated to communication with track workers, gestures of "point-by's" or any actually valid hand signal communication which is expected of drivers.

As for the deers, it sounds like on the green side of the USA, the track operators need to consider more robust countermeasures and something like a special flag or flashing lights or something to slow the pace when an animal is on track. This is more than a debris flag or safety vehicle on track flag, but along the same lines. I think it's patently negligent of the track operator to have such a hazard that's potentially going to end up killing one or more drivers (in a single incident) and yet their efforts to control the risk are not working.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
It doesn't really matter if he let go of the wheel -- he was barely holding it in the first place. Maybe someone taught the driver that a "10 and 2" hand position was old school and now it's "7 and 5" ... it's not fun sharing the track with this level of basic skills in the hands of other drivers.

The driver's meetings at these DE's should include a multiple choice quiz to at least raise the question of whether each driver has even the basics down.

This business of waving and "thanking" just has to be banned. It's idiotic. The other driver isn't looking at you, he's watching the track, finding the line to the apex, anticipating the brake marker, watching your front wheels to see if you're steering into his line, etc. Even if he momentarily glances at your cabin, the likelihood of it being at the exact split second you wave your hand (instead of, oh, I dunno, steering the car ...) is practically zero.

Ban waving!
If ths logic were taken to its conclusion we would have to ban 'point bys' especially those indicating pass on the right. They require the driver to put the whole arm out the window and over the roof of the car. This is more likely a case of the driver not looking far enough down track, but hitting deer happens all the time. I was luckly when one cleared my jeep.

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm sorry, but in my opinion folks who are finding ways to criticize the driver in this video are in denial. They are trying to reassure themselves that "it couldn't happen to me.". Well I'm sorry, but it could happen to you.

As far as waving, it's a courtesy thing, and you see it even in the pros in the middle of races. I wave to thank people for a point-by in DE's all the time. I've done it in the middle of the race before when a slower driver makes a pass easy for me (yes there is at least one slower driver out there somewhere).
One can wave without taking their eyes off the track. This is more likely what happened in this case.

Originally Posted by disasterman
I can find fault with the guy not having his visor down. I put my visor down every time I go on track, whether it's a race, DE or testing. Use your safety gear, including your visor.
+1 I always drive with the visor down. It is part of the safety equipment.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's all about minimizing, not maximizing risk. Point byes are a necessary evil. No other way around them.

And the other exception is if you have the skill to pass Boyer....(w/o having 25% extra horsepower)
Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
What about the "Poor" deer? All kidding aside that was one helluva an impact and not convinced it could have been prevented. I replayed the video a few times and its tough to blame the driver. Wrong place at the wrong time.

Exactly. I'd like to see the armchair warriors on here do any better at speed.

Hindsight is 20/20. Happy to see the guy is ok. The deer is now venison.

C.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those that want to ban waving should spend more time at the track and less at the keyboard. There are many ways to get distracted while on track, waving to thank a driver for a courteous point by is not generally one of them.

For those that aren't from any where near Summit Point, it is in the Appalachian Mountains of West Virginia and deer are everywhere up there. The only way to prevent this is to stop going to that track. It's a hazard specific to this part of the US (roads and tracks). Wildlife on track is always a possibility that driver's need to be aware of. I remember a turkey vulture landing on track at Texas World Speedway last summer, would have been nasty for the guy driving the radical sr3 to take that sucker in the face!

Driver did a good job not freaking out and bringing the car under control.

Put your visors down boys! You never know when you'll need it whether from your side windows or front.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

waving is practically invisible and entirely inappropriate between drivers at speed on the track in a DE or a race.
Say what????

In SM racing we give a hatchet signal to indicate that we want the following car to bump draft, and wave them off when we want them to back off. Drivers never seem to have trouble seeing this signal.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 867 Posts

Just to be clear about my earlier post:

2. waving is practically invisible and entirely inappropriate between drivers at speed on the track in a DE or a race. This is unrelated to tasks such as a radio or brake bias or any number of functions related to driving. It's also unrelated to communication with track workers, gestures of "point-by's" or any actually valid hand signal communication which is expected of drivers.
Just to be clear, this is a very silly, myopic point of view.

Originally Posted by Chads996
Exactly. I'd like to see the armchair warriors on here do any better at speed.

Hindsight is 20/20. Happy to see the guy is ok. The deer is now venison.

C.
+2

Originally Posted by Doug007
Those that want to ban waving should spend more time at the track and less at the keyboard. There are many ways to get distracted while on track, waving to thank a driver for a courteous point by is not generally one of them.
+1
Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Also, since I am offering my belligerent two cents, I think driver wave byes are assinine. It's OK on a cool down lap, but other than that, two hands should always be on the wheel. As for radios, my talk button is on the steering wheel and is situated such that I can keep two hands on the wheel.
For those of us with manual "on the floor" shifters, it's kind of hard to keep two hands on the wheel at all times....

Scott
Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

All track cars at tracks like Summit Point should have heat seeking missiles installed on the roofs. Kill the damn giant rats before they kill us. Lyme disease has made me a true Bambi hater.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Lyme disease has made me a true Bambi hater.
Hate the ticks instead. It's not the deers' fault that they are intermediate hosts. You've seen deers ears covered with so many engorged ticks that it looked like a tumor?

I blame the Forest Service for 50 years of strict burn control. Periodic fire in the low brush is the only way to reduce the tick population, and we haven't had much burning around here since I was a kid.

Actually, I blame people in general for building their houses anywhere and everywhere, so the Forest Service HAS to ban burning, or else somebodys' pwecious wittle housie will be turned to ashes.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I amazed that anyone could critique the driver's handling of the situation. Where he was on the track, your eyes are already looking towards T1 and gauging traffic in the corner the road drops down there and you pick up a bit more speed. You approach T1 prepared for a car spinning between the apex and track out of T2 which is still hard to see. You also look for cars going straight off from a fluid drop. I have driven/raced hundreds of laps at SP and if you told me to look for a deer in the right side brush just past the tower I am not sure I could have avoided it still. That was the perfect storm. I now understand better how the other racer was killed there a couple of years ago in a shifter kart.

VR, you should call up the boys and drop some more ordinance at SP.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a very near miss with a large buck in the chute a few years ago at a race at SP(he was huffing blood he was running so fast and got some on my rear fender). I was in the heat of battle and only saw him at the last minute. I kept my foot in it and barely past in front of him. Even if that guy saw it, I dont see that he could have avoided it.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
I amazed that anyone could critique the driver's handling of the situation. Where he was on the track, your eyes are already looking towards T1 and gauging traffic in the corner the road drops down there and you pick up a bit more speed. You approach T1 prepared for a car spinning between the apex and track out of T2 which is still hard to see. You also look for cars going straight off from a fluid drop. I have driven/raced hundreds of laps at SP and if you told me to look for a deer in the right side brush just past the tower I am not sure I could have avoided it still. That was the perfect storm. I now understand better how the other racer was killed there a couple of years ago in a shifter kart.

VR, you should call up the boys and drop some more ordinance at SP.
+1.

And they still do
Old 06-18-2012, 02:48 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

-superman couldn't avoid that.

on the bright side, bbq for everyone....

Ban waving? yeah, good luck with that!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That was almost me last fall, but missed her near the bridge by a foot. It's time to thin our the heard. I'm doing my part. Would this help

http://deerwhistle.com/

Quick Reply: Dangers on Track