Sponsored by:

Dangers on Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sorry, but in my opinion folks who are finding ways to criticize the driver in this video are in denial. They are trying to reassure themselves that "it couldn't happen to me.". Well I'm sorry, but it could happen to you.

As far as waving, it's a courtesy thing, and you see it even in the pros in the middle of races. I wave to thank people for a point-by in DE's all the time. I've done it in the middle of the race before when a slower driver makes a pass easy for me (yes there is at least one slower driver out there somewhere).
Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm sorry, but in my opinion folks who are finding ways to criticize the driver in this video are in denial. They are trying to reassure themselves that "it couldn't happen to me.". Well I'm sorry, but it could happen to you.

As far as waving, it's a courtesy thing, and you see it even in the pros in the middle of races. I wave to thank people for a point-by in DE's all the time. I've done it in the middle of the race before when a slower driver makes a pass easy for me (yes there is at least one slower driver out there somewhere).
Agreed. He did a great job of getting the car slowed down without panicking and collecting somebody. I don't think he could have done anything about the collision and I don't have a problem with the wave but he does need to work on his hand position.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 867 Posts

holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
At mt Tremblant the flaggers have a standard signal (thumbs in ears and fingers pointed skyward) to indicate the presence of a deer on or near the track so I guess it is pretty common up there.

As Summit, they should have a 30-06 along with the flags.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
As Summit, they should have a 30-06 along with the flags.
We did all sorts of tactical training there (and I still help out occasionally these days as trainer), you may have seen/heard the gunfire & explosions. Despite all that, we still would have "wildlife encounters" every once in a while. But generallyy, the racket we caused scared them away...over to the other track!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
he does need to work on his hand position.
Yup
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ummmm, that wasn't a cow

Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At mt Tremblant the flaggers have a standard signal (thumbs in ears and fingers pointed skyward) ........
If I ever saw this, my first thought would have been that Monty Python had taken over the track...................
Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's unfortunate that the strike occurred. However, I think he was distracted by wanting to acknowledge the other driver. If he had been [instead] looking far enough ahead the outcome may have been different. Racing incident -13/13 to the deer.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At mt Tremblant the flaggers have a standard signal (thumbs in ears and fingers pointed skyward) to indicate the presence of a deer on or near the track so I guess it is pretty common up there.
Right. But we don't see them as often as we used to.

c.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 989 Likes on 593 Posts

+1. If people can't handle waiving when they are driving, then they can't handle driving at that level. Should we ban radios? People have to take a finger off the wheel and the PTT button and talk while driving. Surely that is dangerous.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

What about the "Poor" deer? All kidding aside that was one helluva an impact and not convinced it could have been prevented. I replayed the video a few times and its tough to blame the driver. Wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can find fault with the guy not having his visor down. I put my visor down every time I go on track, whether it's a race, DE or testing. Use your safety gear, including your visor.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have seen deer at VIR as well.. I was going up the back stretch and there were four deer about 50 yards off the track drivers left... Kinda scary with the speed we are all carrying!! Hope the driver was ok in video
Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Happens all too frequently at SP. I wonder if the driver's waving to the other driver distracted him. That deer came from the right side of the track and should have been visible.

Just for the record, I did not come even close to alleging it was driver error. I just posed the question.

Nor, as one apparent clairvoyant mind reading poster assumed, am I in denial. I was there when Geoffrey R had a huge hit on a deer. It's just one of those unlucky occurrences.

Also, since I am offering my belligerent two cents, I think driver wave byes are assinine. It's OK on a cool down lap, but other than that, two hands should always be on the wheel. As for radios, my talk button is on the steering wheel and is situated such that I can keep two hands on the wheel.

Quick Reply: Dangers on Track