Sponsored by:

Passed under double Yellow

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM
jkb157
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Passed under double Yellow

During a full course double yellow I was passed along the front straight of the 2nd yellow spirit race at the Glen this past weekend. I had passed the offender earlier in the race and he was not in my class. By passing me, he placed himself between me and the next car in my class. I elected to stay behind him and repassed him again when we went green.Was this the correct thing to due?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep...although I've never been in a spirit race and thus don't really know what I would due....
Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, you never know what the corner workers are going to see and when they are going to see it. Had they seen your re-pass they may have jumped to a conclusion that would have resulted in a black flag and ruined your race.

Even if he waved you back by it's dicey.

If you have a radio you could work with your radio guy and the black flag station before attempting to get your position back.

Or risk it

Happens a lot.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go over to the offender and demand they make up the difference in prize money.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't me.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
jkb157
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have but I think he was to busy doing radio interviews and accepting prize money from their BS race series.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe an autographed picture instead. You can't have an important driver like that slow down and not pass under yellow flags and not get accurate tire temps.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:42 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

At least, it appears, the guy ahead of you kept up with the pack. I got stuck behind a back marker who plodded along at 50 mph and let the pack dissappear. Then, on the restart, I got jumped by higher HP cars that I had previously built up a significant gap. After the race, I talked to the back marker (a.k.a. -dumb f-ck) who said he was "new" and that he didn't really know he was supposed to keep up with the pack. It was a black H car (not a rennlister) With only 2-3 laps left, the df ruined my race.....

I was thinking of passing him - the flaggers were waving at him to speed up - but I did not pass him. Way too risky (and clearly against the rules.)

So you did the right thing IMO.

Last edited by bauerjab; 06-05-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: information added
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
At least, it appears, the guy ahead of you kept up with the pack. I got stuck behind a back marker who plodded along at 50 mph and let the pack dissappear. Then, on the restart, I got jumped by higher HP cars that I had previously built up a significant gap. After the race, I talked to the back marker (a.k.a. -dumb f-ck) who said he was "new" and that he didn't really know he was supposed to keep up with the pack. It was a black H car (not a rennlister) With only 2-3 laps left, the df ruined my race.....

I was thinking of passing him - the flaggers were waving at him to speed up - but I did not pass him. Way too risky (and clearly against the rules.)

So you did the right thing IMO.
Same thing happened to me (even worse, I also got jumped by cars in my class when the idiot boxed me in) and ruined the second half of my race in Sprint 2 when the first half was so promising. It was so bad, no cars were visible ahead of us when we entered the pit straight under green. It has been an issue at almost every race weekend I have done, I wish the stewards would emphasize it more in the meetings.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Cars that are so slow and unable to keep up with the pack under double yellow have mechanical problems that entitle you to pass them.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Same thing happened to me (even worse, I also got jumped by cars in my class when the idiot boxed me in) and ruined the second half of my race in Sprint 2 when the first half was so promising. It was so bad, no cars were visible ahead of us when we entered the pit straight under green. It has been an issue at almost every race weekend I have done, I wish the stewards would emphasize it more in the meetings.
Frank, I don't know how they could emphasize it more.

This behavior is amazing given the length to which Brian explained the need and importance of catching up under full course yellow during the drover's meeting.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

You did the right thing and got screwed. Happens a lot, but I think it is better than a Black Flag. They seldom see the offence, but always see the retaliation.

This would be worthwhile thing for the scruts to focus on instead of non-blocking blocking like at Lime Rock.
How was that issue inforced at the Glen?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
You did the right thing and got screwed. Happens a lot, but I think it is better than a Black Flag. They seldom see the offence, but always see the retaliation.

This would be worthwhile thing for the scruts to focus on instead of non-blocking blocking like at Lime Rock.
How was that issue inforced at the Glen?
+1,000,000

You always need to do the right thing. If you fall to their level, it never helps.

You can't fix stupid.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-05-2012, 06:01 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he was 7th?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

you did the correct thing.
You can be guaranteed that if you passed him under the full course yellow, to "take back" your position, that would be what would be called in, not the original pass.

Quick Reply: Passed under double Yellow