Sponsored by:

Spec 996 in Florida - help looking to start racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spec 996 in Florida - help looking to start racing

Looking to start racing and I have been considering spec 996. I live in florida and was wondering....

1) if there is a good number of 996 spec cars racing here (no fun racing alone)
2) 3.4 or 3.6 considering weight restriction difference
3) cost of building one not including the car
4) who in Florida should I use to build one
5) if I were to run the car in its spec set up which class would it fall into with scca, pboc and NASA.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 12:26 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
Looking to start racing and I have been considering spec 996. I live in florida and was wondering....

1) if there is a good number of 996 spec cars racing here (no fun racing alone)
2) 3.4 or 3.6 considering weight restriction difference
3) cost of building one not including the car
4) who in Florida should I use to build one
5) if I were to run the car in its spec set up which class would it fall into with scca, pboc and NASA.

Thanks
I don't know what the car count in Florida is, so can't answer that one

From what I've seen, the weight penalty makes the 3.4 and 3.6 cars pretty even. That said, I always prefer a lighter car.

There are builds, and there are builds. Even in a spec car there are all sorts of places you can spend extra money if you want. That said, I would budget ~$20k to $25k depending upon how far you want to go.

I only know about NASA wrt classes. There the cars run in GTS3, and are fairly competitive. In PCA the SP996 car can run as GTB1.

Based on what happened in Texas, if you build it, others will follow. I built the first car here. We've got six cars running now, and it will not be long before we are at more than 10.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I know it's a rather new class but if you here anyone selling I'm buying. I figure it would be a good place to start racing and if I want to move up in class have go on a diet.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can always use more H cars in PCA.

There were over a dozen in class at Sebring and Road Atlanta, and guess Daytona will draw a good field too.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 685 Likes on 332 Posts

Big Al, the 996 spec class is light in car counts here in FL for instance Sebring 48hr 2012 had I think only 2 or 3 996 spec cars and that race is the biggest race in PCA in the south, close to 300 cars this year with a waiting list. Not sure if the Road Atlanta PCA race had even one 996 spec car. Go to PCA web site, hit on club racing then review results and you can track how many cars were in each class. If your heart is set on a 996 I think staying in a stock class woud be the way to go.
Rich
Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Big Al, to add to what others have posted, I think the car would fall into R3 in PBOC, and this would also allow you to run full slicks if you chose to rather than the spec BFG R1 tire.

Spec 996 is a fantastic car when well built & properly set up. I have been fortunate to have been involved with a number of set-ups of the competitive ones, and with the fastest drivers currently. I love these cars. I am hoping that, like Spec Miata, what started as a trend on a regional basis grows into a national thing in a big way.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0 spec at Road Atlanta.

VR, is there something you like better about the spec than an H class car? I really like the lighter weight, but other than that, I don't see any advantages.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
0 spec at Road Atlanta.

VR, is there something you like better about the spec than an H class car? I really like the lighter weight, but other than that, I don't see any advantages.
190 lbs lighter is HUGE.....
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkM
0 spec at Road Atlanta.

Weight.

Ability to run Cup Car aero to make the car trail brake with the best of them.

JRZ suspension.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The decision for me to choose SP996 over the letter class for my new build was based on where I wanted to go in the future. I would like to be in a cup car eventually. The lighter weight and aero (big wing, etc.) was very attractive and seemed like a nice step towards my eventual goal. Plus the wing looks cool.

I also felt that a spec class was a much more level playing field than the letters. And yes, I know there can be significant differences in the specs, as well.

So, you might consider that in your decision process. Once I saw the SP996 class start to pick up in TX with 5 or 6 cars it became an easy call.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Racecoach.net - I'm the guy you coached briefly at this past winterfest in the red white rs. Anyhow, I had a feeling that spec 996 was light here since i have never seen one before. Thank you for the all the info...just this morning I put an offer down on a 04 996 GT3 that has been fully converted to a race car. Keeping my fingers crossed. I sold my rs and I need something stat!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Racecoach.net - I'm the guy you coached briefly at this past winterfest in the red white rs. Anyhow, I had a feeling that spec 996 was light here since i have never seen one before. Thank you for the all the info...just this morning I put an offer down on a 04 996 GT3 that has been fully converted to a race car. Keeping my fingers crossed. I sold my rs and I need something stat!
Ah....I remember! With the Exetec sequential! Didn't know you sold your car. I see you on the list for Sebring this weekend--you still coming? We can catch up then. What class will your new car run?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Default sebring?

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ah....I remember! With the Exetec sequential! Didn't know you sold your car. I see you on the list for Sebring this weekend--you still coming? We can catch up then. What class will your new car run?
I'm not at sebring this weekend. I have no car. Which club was I listed. I'm at homestead next week.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'm not at sebring this weekend. I have no car. Which club was I listed. I'm at homestead next week.
Oops, PBOC, but I was looking at their sign ups for June at Homestead, not Sebring this weekend, my error.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Yes I'll be with PBOC/PCA on June 16th. If all works well with the car I'll have it there with me. As far as class I am not sure, it weighs about 2700 pounds and does a 2:17 at seabring. My plan is to DE it for the summer to get comfortable with the car and to get my race license as well. The in the fall, I hope to start racing. I may need to add a bit of weight so they dont lump me with cup cars. Eitherway I can't wait!

Quick Reply: Spec 996 in Florida - help looking to start racing