Sponsored by:

Beware the Green, er, black RSX Type S

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beware the Green, er, black RSX Type S

I just got accepted for my 1st ever DE, at Roebling Rd, June 9 & 10.

But I'll be taking the Acura, as the 911 has a long way to go before I will be comfortable driving it on any track.

Anyone else going?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with the 911?

If this is your first DE, you won't be doing anything you haven't already done on the street. So if it is safe for that you should seriously consider taking it.

The basic maintenance items, like tires, brake pads and fluid, and checking the wheel bearings are all you really need to do. And these apply to both a 911 and an Acura, so unless your Porsche is in a sorry state of repair, take the 911.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I just got the 911 4 months ago and haven't had the time to give the brakes and suspension a really good going over. Plus, there are some oil leaks. It does have a new Sparco steering wheel and new Wevo shifter and coupler and a new clutch helper spring. So I'm getting there. Maybe next time.

The Acura is my DD, the dealership is right behind my house, it has new tires and brakes, and no oil leaks. And A/C for the drive there and back.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Dude, you have a month to work on the car. Brakes are a 1 hour job, 2 if its your first time or have opened the beer, or don't have anyone to pump the brakes for you. You can inspect the suspension and wheel bearings while doing the brakes.

Unless you are spewing oil you'll be fine. If it is just moist or you leave an over night spot smaller than a quarter, you are good.

As far as the A/C, that's really part of the whole experience isn't it.

If I can't convince you to take the 911, then at least take the BMW. You don't want to learn to drive a front wheel car and then relearn the next time you go out.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Well, I wouldn't have to learn heel and toe on the Bimmer 'cause it's a sport auto. But it has one run flat with a bulge in the sidewall. I'm OK with it for a while longer, but I don't think tech would be.

I'll see if I can get the 911 ready by then. Problem is I'm stuck at work 12 hours a day; doesn't leave much time.

We have no Porsche dealer or repair shop in Augusta. In your experience, what kinds of places could do a tech inspection on a 911? I've got an appointment at a Firestone place in a few days to have the Bridgestones rebalanced; would they be capable?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude,

Man up and take the 911. At our Zone driving events Tech can be performed at the event. Go early. Events are much more fun in a Porsche.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Take the Porsche! Change your brake pads if required (35 min DIY), bleed the brakes and check with your local PCA chapter on places to do a safety inspection.

It's a DE, not racing so you wouldn't be doing stuff that they don't do any day on the Autobahn anyway.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
teamking
Pro

I disagree. For your first DE, you should be focused on situational awareness, not car control. At my first DE, I had tunnel vision so bad that I didn't see a single corner worker, or flag. Good thing my instructor did. Also, I had a red group instructor try to pass me in the Keyhole at MidOhio during a green group session (he got mixed up on what session was running). I'm glad I wasn't focused on oversteer at the time.

The RSX will understeer mildly, and make it easier for you to concentrate on the things you should be concentrating on. You will learn plenty. When you are ready for the next step (maybe after 1 DE, maybe after 10), take the 911 out.

Don't spend your time over the next month wrenching. Get some good books and read up on technique. Watch video of the track and memorize it, including corner names and numbers, the DE line, braking points, gear changes, etc. Find several videos of cars with similar characteristics to yours, and be able to differentiate among the drivers as to which one is best and why.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys.

It's gonna be the RSX at this one. It will probably be the only FWD car there, but that's OK. I've always been a little strange.

But the 911 will have it's turn.

I'm already trying to figure out where I can park a trailer and whether the GF's 4.0L Tundra will pull it. I told her to get the V8 but she's hardheaded.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts
Smile

Taking the Acura to your first De because you have only had it four months and it might not be ready is like taking your Mom to the Prom because your date is still working on her makeup.

Seriously.. Won't take much to make sure the brakes are properly set and your rubber is decent.. Things that you should do just driving on the street anyway. You have plenty of time. These things are not delicate machines. They love the track.

One of the singular things about a 911 is that it is one of the few marques that you really can take from the showroom floor to the track. They are special.

You will love the 911 on the track, its a great place to make it sing and an even better place to learn how to drive that car well. . Sure you can take the Acura, but use the 911 for what its for and have fun..

Having fun is what DE's are for..
Old 05-09-2012, 03:52 PM
hchc
Instructor

I second the RSX as well. Since this is your first DE, you are going to be off track anyway if you are doing it right . Better take the RSX off track than the 911. You are basically learning your limit rather than the car's limit (vision, apex, steering etc). I still remember my tiger tight grip on the steering wheel on the first DE and the car isn't going anywhere . After you get comfortable, then switch to the porsche and relearn the car dynamics.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have fun!! Don't go out expecting to break track records, just listen and learn from the instructor. Roebling is a ton of fun!!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Thanks guys.

It's gonna be the RSX at this one. It will probably be the only FWD car there, but that's OK. I've always been a little strange.

But the 911 will have it's turn.

I'm already trying to figure out where I can park a trailer and whether the GF's 4.0L Tundra will pull it. I told her to get the V8 but she's hardheaded.
Is this with Coastal Empire PCA? Good group of peeps!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

The 911 is not the easiest car for a novice to drive or learn on at a race track - so I for one think it's a great idea to take the RSX Type S. You will have fun and very quickly be able to approach the car's limits. Make sure you give a big waive to each Porsche who gives you the point by (lol).

In fact I'd rather take a slower, less expensive car and drive it to 10/10ths than what I normally see at DEs where the owners of expensive cars drive slower b/c they are afraid of hurting their cars. Most of today's sports cars are so powerful and heavy that the margin of error is much smaller.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I'm really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, my pit crew got injured yesterday by being yanked down to the ground by the Golden Retriever she was walking, as the numb nuts (the dog) took off after a squirrel. So she is a bit laid up. I hope she recovers in time so she can help with the luggage.

I've been telling her for months that she should put up a fence so she won't have to walk the GR on a leash. This is the 3rd time he has done this, and this time she got hurt. Her excuse was that her house needed new windows more than a fence. When was the last time somebody got injured by a window that leaked a little air?

Women and men just think differently, I guess. Heck, she didn't even think I needed a Porsche!

Quick Reply: Beware the Green, er, black RSX Type S