Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware the Green, er, black RSX Type S

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My God this Rennlist group has become bunch of ******.

First it was people complaining about defensive lines in racing, and now we have a bunch of folks giving the impresion that it is safer to do a DE in a Honda than in a 911.

Give me a break.

You bought the Porsche to drive, so drive it. As I said before if it is street safe, then it is safe your your first DE and you just need to look at the consumables.

Yes, the first DE is about learning safety and awareness, but it is also about building a passion for your Porsche.

I remember my first DE 15 years later, but I probably would not have if I had driven my Volkswagen.
I guarantee if you take the Porsche you won't be sitting there thinking that you should ave brought the RSX, but you will have those thoughts in the reverse.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
You bought the Porsche to drive, so drive it. As I said before if it is street safe, then it is safe your your first DE and you just need to look at the consumables.

Yes, the first DE is about learning safety and awareness, but it is also about building a passion for your Porsche.

I remember my first DE 15 years later, but I probably would not have if I had driven my Volkswagen.
I guarantee if you take the Porsche you won't be sitting there thinking that you should ave brought the RSX, but you will have those thoughts in the reverse.
The 911 is street safe, but as I haven't fixed all the worn parts yet, it is not totally reliable. I've already had to flat-bed it home once for a broken clutch helper spring; that was fun.

It's not the DE that concerns me, it's the 150 mile trip each way to get there. If I could trailer it and know I had a way to get home (and to work on Monday) I would take the 911 for sure.

My 6 year old Acura, or Honda, is a lot more reliable than my 28 year old Beetle, er, Porsche, that hasn't been refreshed.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 AM
teamking
Pro

What's wrong with the 911?

If this is your first DE, you won't be doing anything you haven't already done on the street.
BS. Total BS.

My God this Rennlist group has become bunch of ******.

First it was people complaining about defensive lines in racing, and now we have a bunch of folks giving the impresion that it is safer to do a DE in a Honda than in a 911.

Give me a break.
Give me a break. I don't need to be called a ***** for giving someone my opinion.

DE's are about building a passion for Porsches? I'll have to remember that.

BS
Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I instruct quite a bit with various clubs (PCA / Audi / BMW / NASA / local tracks) and have had students with various hardware. The more expensive the car or the more expert a driver it needs to be truly driven fast, the more I see hesitation in the student. Hesitation and worry can be bad and affect their ability to learn.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Clearly this group has gone soft. And yes, that is a better term than the p word, and I probably should not have used it.

I have instructed for many years myself. When I have a rookie in the car, I work on smooth inputs, watching the mirrors and keeping eyes up. That's about it until they have mastered those. Then we can start focusing on the line, and speed, car dynamics and so on.

My point here is I don't ask rookies to do anything they probably haven't already done on the street, and will certainly not push the car even close to it can do. As long as it is safe, it will work.

The cost or the capabilites of the car are irrelevant at the first DE, as I never ask a rookie to drive fast. Hesitation and worry are ever present for a rookie and it is the instructiors responsibility to help work through it , at an appropriate pace for the indiviual student, regardless of the car. I have found that working through this in a car that most people only dream about owning, let alone drive on a track, is more rewarding than in an everyday street car.

Yes one of the PCA DE's goals is to build enthusiasm for the marque. This website is a Porsche website and I thought we were here to promote and share our passion for the marque. This thread migrated to talking him Siberian out of taking the 911 instead of encouraging him to find a way to use it, and that was disappointing.

Siberian, enjoy your first DE, it's really not this complicated or controversial.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I just got home from my 1st DE:

I loved it, and I'm now probably hooked for as long as I can physically and financialy drive.

My in-car instuctor, Wayne, was fantastic. Patient, honest, informative,and fun to be around. My fiance, not a gear head, even said how lucky I was to get him as an instructor. She also said if I did to my 911 what he did to his, she would kill me. What a car and what a ride along.

The RSX Type-S was a good choice for me to take for my 1st DE, as it was very forgiving and reliable. I could not hang with the BMWs or any of the Porsches on the straight, but on my last couple of sessions I was gaining on or leaving them in the twisties, and that was on Goodyear RSA all-season tires. I'm proud of my little 4 banger, it did good, and it got both of us there and back safely as well. Boy, I sure did want another 100 ponies, though.

Everybody I met and talked too was super nice and friendly as well. I found that a compliment about their car was a good way to start a conversation.

I'm not sure when the next one I can attend will be, but I'm looking forward to it. If my 911 isn't ready by then, I'll get some new shoes on the BMW and take it for a comparison.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 PM
teamking
Pro

That's great!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Now get the 911 ready and really have some fun.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Now get the 911 ready and really have some fun.
Gosh, I'm trying, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. Plus, after riding in Wayne's track-only '81 911 SC, I now see $$$$$ in modifications in my future.

I was kind of surprised to see that almost everyone in green and blue groups was driving a newer car (lots of Caymans) and the older air cooled 911s (and one very brave 914) were in the solo groups. Newer GT3s were very popular in the solo groups as well.

There was a black Ford GT there, but I never saw it with a number on it or on the track.

Quick Reply: Beware the Green, er, black RSX Type S