Sponsored by:

PCA club race blocking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
There are bad apples in every group, regardless of car marque, racing organization,driver age, driver gender, etc etc, and in this I include both drivers and stewards.

Here is one of my favorite recent ones, it's from an SCCA event at Hallett, I guess you could call it a block, even after reading the SCCA rules. To me it reminds me of a good ol' fashioned hockey hip check.
WTF? Took the guy out, no excuse or rule for that BS. At least the ole' car got to execute one last beautiful pass before passing on.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 860 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Here is one of my favorite recent ones, it's from an SCCA event at Hallett, I guess you could call it a block, even after reading the SCCA rules. To me it reminds me of a good ol' fashioned hockey hip check.
Hip check? It looks more like aggravated assault or assault with a deadly weapon to me!! I sure hope the driver that pull that move received some kind of reprimand/penalty for that action.

Scott
Old 05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Hip check? It looks more like aggravated assault or assault with a deadly weapon to me!! I sure hope the driver that pull that move received some kind of reprimand/penalty for that action.

Scott
Maybe I played hockey in a rougher league........

I'm not sure what, or if, a penalty was assessed but I do know the driver that got hit, so I can ask him and see. It sure looked like it warranted a penalty to me too.

Really my point in showing this was that our hobby is serious and blocking is bullshi*, make one move, that's it.
Race a line fine, zig zag bad.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty aggressive stuff, guess he didn't like being passed. I would have unhooked my 4wd dually and driven over that POS Miata sending it off to heaven too....
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting summary of the rules. The SCCA & IMSA rules seem intentionally vague as well, with qualifiers such as "may". This may be intended to leave things at the discretion of the steward/race control, but leaves the door open of interpretation & subjectivity. I much prefer clear rules, especially on a club level, where there are many different local stewards, with different opinions on what's acceptable. What's OK one weekend, may not be the next. That's not good for anyone.

On a separate note, let's not devolve this into an sanctioning body grudge match. There is room for different perspectives on racing, without either being right or wrong. Hopefully we can give opinions on this specific issue, without pissing on the whole sanctioning body, or it's members. Let's keep this constructive.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

viking, that's no block, that's a failure of the overtaker to execute cleanly, in a big way.
Also grounds for a whole other thread, and 15 pages.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Scott
+1

Or a serious beatdown.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Here are "blocking" rules from various other clubs.

F1:

20.3 "More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted.
"Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner."
Unless you have the God given right to do so (Senna)
Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1

Or a serious beatdown.
+2

I really hope someone educated that fool.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc

On a separate note, let's not devolve this into an sanctioning body grudge match. There is room for different perspectives on racing, without either being right or wrong. Hopefully we can give opinions on this specific issue, without pissing on the whole sanctioning body, or it's members. Let's keep this constructive.
Not my intention at all. I was curious to see what other clubs are doing so I spent some time getting the info together. It is only here for discussion.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Or a serious beatdown.

+1 there would be more then words exchanged
Old 05-07-2012, 04:20 PM
James Achard
Pro

Originally Posted by Streak
Not my intention at all. I was curious to see what other clubs are doing so I spent some time getting the info together. It is only here for discussion.
Streak, that's how I took your post, as a discussion point so we can come up with a similar rule and submit during our Proposed Rule change period.

Thanks for the information! I haven't raced in PCA for 6 years and am looking forward to my return at The Glen. When I was racing in PCA back in 2006, there was lots of blocking and defensive driving which was accepted as racing.

Besides this Limerock event, has their been a shift in PCA policy towards this, besides what has been mentioned in this thread?

Cheers, James
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 860 Likes on 428 Posts

Scott
+1

Or a serious beatdown.
Well, if someone did that to me and my car on purpose like that, I most likely would have to be restrained once I got back to the paddock area. That was criminal and was done on purpose. Someone could have been killed.

Scott
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
jamm
Instructor

had to track this down and see what came of it.

http://mazdaracers.com/topic/2157-ha...__kent__st__40

offending driver apologized...the fact that it happened in TX makes me think he got awfully lucky the other driver accepted his apology.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

It happened in Oklahoma, at Hallett.

It takes a big person to apologize & admit fauult like that. Kudos...

Quick Reply: PCA club race blocking?