Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA club race blocking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We should all have KERS and DRS systems like in Formula 1 to pass slower cars...
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
Brian H discussed this at the orientation meeting for the Road Atlanta Race, but I can't remember what he said. If anyone is worried about this going forward, you should go to the meeting and ask about it.

Nothing I saw in these videos looks like blocking.

It is an interesting perspective that driving defensive lines are unsportsmanlike. Racing is not DE and a big part of racing is the skill of the driver. Clearly if a car is in front of you they deserve to be there. They also deserve the right to make you work to get around them.

If the fastest car is always supposed to win then why do we hold a race?
I agree with you Mark. I too was at the meeting at RA and thought I understood the discussion. I don't recall hearing anything specific about the scenario shown in the first vid posted here.

A little off topic but as I recall the RA event "diving in" was also discussed. One of the drivers asked for a more clear definition especially going into 10A. The answer was the overtaking car in 10A (to the left) of the car being overtaken (on the line to the inboard side of the track) had to be ahead of the car being overtaken before the initial turn in. Huh? To me that's just not natural and defeats a late brake move. If I am "online" in 10A and someone jumps out from behind me to outbrake & overtake me it's incumbent on me to not turn into him, not expect him to give up because he's not ahead at the turn in.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,234 Likes on 1,856 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by winders
There is no "right side", "wrong side", "right line", or "wrong line" when racing.

What a joke.

Scott
Scott, we've talked about this before, and it has little to do with the OP, but most sensible and ethical drivers think that proper racing includes the tenet of "leaving racing room" for your competitor(s).

This doesn't mean you "give" someone the corner, but it does mean that you pick a side and you don't "put them off."

It's a good thing this topic continues to come up, because I can keep up a good list of who I'd like to race with and how I'm going to have to race both them and the people I'd rather not race with...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Wrong side of the straight? This is a race, not a DE or Time Trial. There is no "right side", "wrong side", "right line", or "wrong line" when racing.

If PCA Club Racing equates impeding momentum to blocking, it's not really racing anymore. What a joke.

Scott
Originally Posted by Lolaman
Scott, we've talked about this before, and it has little to do with the OP, but most sensible and ethical drivers think that proper racing includes the tenet of "leaving racing room" for your competitor(s).

This doesn't mean you "give" someone the corner, but it does mean that you pick a side and you don't "put them off."

It's a good thing this topic continues to come up, because I can keep up a good list of who I'd like to race with and how I'm going to have to race both them and the people I'd rather not race with...
Peter,

I don't like what you are intimating.

Where have I advocated not leaving racing room? Where did I say you should "put them off"? I don't recall suggesting you can weave you way down the track either.

There is a big difference between making someone work to pass you and blocking. If you drive a more defensive line and the person behind is on the "ideal line", you are going to be impeding his momentum. That appears to be "blocking" to the PCA.

The odds of us being on the same race track are nil....so you don't have to worry either way.

Scott
Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a Rookie PCA racer and this was my Licensing event. As others mentioned, I had the exact same experience in the Rookie meetings. I even asked the question to define defensive line and blocking. It was made clear that any single defensive move would be considered blocking, and furthermore, a defensive line, could and can also end your race as a blocking "line". Similar posture for "over aggressive" driving/passing.

I still need to learn a LOT about PCA CR, racecraft in general, and everything in between, and I am glad I have you veterans around to learn from, but this is probably the area that will present the biggest challenge to me....
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
I am a Rookie PCA racer and this was my Licensing event. As others mentioned, I had the exact same experience in the Rookie meetings. I even asked the question to define defensive line and blocking. It was made clear that any single defensive move would be considered blocking, and furthermore, a defensive line, could and can also end your race as a blocking "line". Similar posture for "over aggressive" driving/passing.

I still need to learn a LOT about PCA CR, racecraft in general, and everything in between, and I am glad I have you veterans around to learn from, but this is probably the area that will present the biggest challenge to me....
If that's the case, and you want to be a better race car driver, go spend your time and money running with someone else. You won't learn jack about racing if nobody is allowed to drive defensively.

-mike
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Peter,

I don't like what you are intimating.

Where have I advocated not leaving racing room? Where did I say you should "put them off"? I don't recall suggesting you can weave you way down the track either.

There is a big difference between making someone work to pass you and blocking. If you drive a more defensive line and the person behind is on the "ideal line", you are going to be impeding his momentum. That appears to be "blocking" to the PCA.

The odds of us being on the same race track are nil....so you don't have to worry either way.

Scott
Scott that's your most entertaining post ever, for multiple reasons. I look forward to someday sharing a track with you. Maybe Sears in June?....
Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not pleased with the direction PCA appears to be moving with respect to club racing. From dictating a exxpensive spec slick for the GTC classes without polling the drivers first to redefining the term blocking, it appears PCA is fast moving toward becoming a 'nanny state' racing organization. I feel for those of you who geographically have limited options with respect to racing venues....
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Did the driver drive the track poorly with respect to hitting apexes , etc ? For sure.

Was he guilty of blocking you ? IMHO, not even close.

Many flaggers, unless certified SCCA flaggers or those hired by the track (ie: NJMP), are volunteers . But none of them should ever be authorized to make an autonomous decision except for yellow, debris or the "faster cars are behind you" flag.

Decisions to fly the black flag, red flag and double yellow's generally come down from race contol and are transmitted to the flagging stations.

Had a PCA official been standing in the" starters stand" with a clear view of the straightaway it should have been evident no blocking was taking place...poor driving perhaps , even driving a defensive line ( driving off the preferred line)...but I never saw any evidence that he pulled over in front of you and you either had to brake or get out of the throttle.

I'm affraid who ever made this call might need to be sitting in the audience at the next drivers meeting or might take a moment to re-
Tom B.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
.... It was made clear that any single defensive move would be considered blocking, and furthermore, a defensive line, could and can also end your race as a blocking "line". Similar posture for "over aggressive" driving/passing.......
Huh??? That sounds alot of DE with open passing not racing. I went through my rookie racing school in PCA 10 years ago and I don't remember that at all.

Now there is a fine line between racing hard and racing dumb and all rookies need to be coached on the difference, but for whatever reason what you feel like you were told in your rookie school is simply wrong. Don't take it as being rude to you as I don't consider this to be your fault at all, but a failure of PCA rookie school.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
In issue 11.3 of Club Racing News Vicki Earnshaw (Chief National Steward) addresses "blocking". It would be informative to have her review this video and provide an explanation from her perspective.
From 11.3 CRN:

To maintain fair competition,
the lead car must be aware that a car
behind could have had a faster exit
speed out of the last corner onto the
straight. Watching the mirrors is part
of the common sense awareness. We
do not follow the “one move rule”
which would give the lead car one
move to block a passing attempt.
Blocking occurs when you make a
move that changes your line and is
solely intended to impede an overtaking
car. You have an option to
use a defensive line but if you choose
that line, you must stay on that
line. Changing that line to prevent
passing is blocking. This normally
occurs entering or exiting the corner,
but blocking is also prohibited on
straights.
For example, driver P1 comes out
of a corner onto a straight and takes
a mid-track line. Because the driver
behind (P2) has set up her car to exit
the last corner with more speed, she
gains track position and closes the
distance to P1 from behind. P2 now
moves right to start a pass, but P1
has not checked the mirrors or has
decided to protect the position with
a move to the right. This is blocking!
To avoid contact P2 has to
drive off track.
Blocking is not fair competition.
It is unsafe, unpredictable,
frustrating, and often causes
racers to make difficult moves to
avoid contact or car damage.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:31 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I'm not pleased with the direction PCA appears to be moving with respect to club racing. From dictating a exxpensive spec slick for the GTC classes without polling the drivers first to redefining the term blocking, it appears PCA is fast moving toward becoming a 'nanny state' racing organization. I feel for those of you who geographically have limited options with respect to racing venues....
I've only done 2 PCA races, but I don't think there were any of these "blocking" issues at the Laguna Seca PCA race last weekend. It seemed like good racing to me. I wonder if it was just a local club thing or if it'll turn into a national thing.

Either way-- if you can't drive defensively, it's not racing.

-mike
Old 05-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
I could make a compilation video out of it.
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to learn that editing software.

Maybe the stewards were paying particular attention to this "problem" at Lime Rock because of how limited the passing opportunities are.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampire
From 11.3 CRN:

car. You have an option to
passing is blocking....
Huh... So you can take defensive line or not? When can you chose to take a defensive line into a corner.

From 11.3 CRN:

For example, driver P1 comes out of a corner onto a straight and takes a mid-track line. Because the driver behind (P2) has set up her car to exit the last corner with more speed, she gains track position and closes the distance to P1 from behind. P2 now moves right to start a pass, but P1 has not checked the mirrors or has decided to protect the position with a move to the right. This is blocking! To avoid contact P2 has to drive off track.
Huh... So If I go down a straigh and the car behing is pokes out to make a inside move and I choose to take the inside myself before that car gets there I am blocking? Now I can see if that car has 10 mph on me and is "flying" by that moving over not very smart, but why can't the lead car chose take the inside line to turn?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

From 11.3 CRN:

car.
So commit to a "defensive line" before they begin the overtaking maneuver.

You have an option to
passing is blocking.
Sounds like no zig-zaging.

Does this clear everything up?

Quick Reply: PCA club race blocking?