PCA club race blocking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jamm
had to track this down and see what came of it.

http://mazdaracers.com/topic/2157-ha...__kent__st__40

offending driver apologized...the fact that it happened in TX makes me think he got awfully lucky the other driver accepted his apology.
Intersecting lines? It was a (*&^)%$ straight!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It happened in Oklahoma, at Hallett.

It takes a big person to apologize & admit fauult like that. Kudos...
The video makes it pretty obvious that there was fault. They were going in a straight line right next to each other. The video also showed that the car that was shoved off the track was the car that was in front just moments before the incident so the offending driver can't claim he didn't see him there.

If that happened by accident, the offending driver should not be on the track since he has no idea what his car is doing or how to control it.

Scott

Last edited by winders; 05-07-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Intersecting lines? It was a (*&^)%$ straight!
Yeah, it was total bull****, but I give him props for apologizing nonetheless.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread illustrates exactly why I left pca for scca many years ago. Over application of unwritten rules. Come join scca, life is so much easier.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by timo944
This thread illustrates exactly why I left pca for scca many years ago. Over application of unwritten rules. Come join scca, life is so much easier.
Whatever
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

You're kidding, right?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issues I see with the SCCA are there vehement hatred of 911's and a rule book that reads like something the Taliban wrote.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Hitting is legal there.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Not my intention at all. I was curious to see what other clubs are doing so I spent some time getting the info together. It is only here for discussion.
Streak - not aimed at you at all, hence the "on a separate note" qualifier. This subject is just ripe for cheap shots.

The SM video does look criminal. I can't imagine withdrawing a protest on that.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I am not kidding, and no, hitting is NOT legal.

1. Whenever there is an on track infraction, such as in this video, it is addressed after the race is over unless it is a safety concern. They understand that for better or for worse, we spend a lot of effort and money to make it to the track and if you are accused of anything you should have your day in court. You have the right to defend your actions, and you are not prevented from continuing to race because somebody thinks you are blocking or whatever. It is settled after the race.

2. There is a formal protest procedure and it works. You have to put your money where your mouth is, and protests are normal lodged by the drivers and not the stewards. You need evidence to back up your claim. Ever try to file protest in pca? Good luck.

3. They always go back to the rule book. It is the basis for everything. In pca the rule book is nice because it fits in your back pocket, but it leaves so much up to interpretation. I have seen many situations in pca where the steward doesn't know what to do. For example, a friend and I had a small contact. Instead of making a call, he says " you guys discuss it and decide who is guilty. If you can't, i'll give you both a 13/13 ". So, my friend went to NASA and I went to SCCA. After 8 years of pca bs I was done.

The problem with 911s is that there is not a good way to fit them in Improved Touring. You need to run in production or GT, Both big bucks racing. Making the statement that 911s are not treated well is unfair. I run a 944 and was told that all Porsches are treated unfairly. But I have done very well, without the bull. And yes I have won a race. If I could keep a motor together I would have won more.

Sorry if you don't like my opinion but if you don't understand SCCA please consider the above. It is a very professional club.

Timo
Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If think PCA racers are good people and want to race with friends, club members and other Porsche owners. This is not that different from other groups. But, it seems like the management is trying to hold onto thoughts and ideas that are not consistent with what the racers intend. Just read the defininition of blocking compared to the other groups and it's clear there is a lot of words to make a simple concept very ambiguous. It seems like there is a lot of this in the rules.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
If think PCA racers are good people and want to race with friends, club members and other Porsche owners. This is not that different from other groups. But, it seems like the management is trying to hold onto thoughts and ideas that are not consistent with what the racers intend. Just read the defininition of blocking compared to the other groups and it's clear there is a lot of words to make a simple concept very ambiguous. It seems like there is a lot of this in the rules.
Here's a problem. I can't find any mention of blocking in the rules. I also can't find where it says that the person ahead at turn in "owns" the corner. This blocking thing seems to be a new fangled definition that someone came up with and decided to enforce. But it's not in the rule book. Are we supposed to carry all the issues of Club Racing News with us as supplements to the rule book? Is there something I'm missing?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I missed it..... still no input form the Steward(s)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
Here's a problem. I can't find any mention of blocking in the rules. I also can't find where it says that the person ahead at turn in "owns" the corner. This blocking thing seems to be a new fangled definition that someone came up with and decided to enforce. But it's not in the rule book. Are we supposed to carry all the issues of Club Racing News with us as supplements to the rule book? Is there something I'm missing?
Originally Posted by comatb
Unless I missed it..... still no input form the Steward(s)
FWIW, I seriously doubt the Stewards are going to comment here. Wouldn't be appropriate IMO. Perhaps the best approach might be to contact the Chief National Steward directly, through normal channels, and ask for clarification?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why doesn't everyone just cooperate and let me through?

Quick Reply: PCA club race blocking?