Sponsored by:

Best Value/Most Reliable type of race car

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Not sure about the 996/986 just yet, but relative to the a 944 for instance, I've had air cooled 911s go on and on.
Yep. My air-cooled 3.2 has 168,000 miles on it and, to my knowledge, has never been rebuilt. AND it still makes pretty good power on the dyno.

AND (knock on wood) I've never had an engine-related DNF in 14 race weekends (and 2 years of DE before that).

I'd say I've gotten my money's worth out of her...
Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. I already have a tow vehicle and open trailer, so that is not a consideration when going to a race car. I live in Los Angeles and my budget is (race as cheaply as possible and have fun). I can't afford to go the cup car route, but could afford to go a step higher than SM or 944.

I had not considered the tire budget and how a spec tire could lower the operating costs. That is somethiing I really need to think about.
Really the best thing is to get the SM or 944. Reason.... you think you can afford more, but when you are planning you never really calcuate the full costs.

So if you think you can afford 20% more you will be find when you realize everything is going to cost 25% more than you planned. You would be only 5% over budget.

If you must spend more then Spec boxster is good for cost containted spec class. Non spec classes are much harder to put a handle on costs as you can spend a ton of money trying to make car competitive. A ton of wasted money on things that did not help or worse buying a car that will never be compeitive in the class you choose.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
NASA seems to have unbelieveably good racers from top to bottom and extremely competitive in all classes. It would be hard and intimidating to start off with them. POC seems to have good racers and perhaps not as hard core as the NASA guys in terms of pure racing. Maybe more like PCA than NASA???
NASA So-cal is a strong group, but don't be afraid to race with them. They run races well and welcome new racers. You can be dog slow in class and still have nice time in NASA.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Formula Vee must be the cheapest way to open-wheel racing.

And Miata is "best value" sportcar ever -- track or street.

Miata drivers routinely push around much more powerful 911's in all but the fastest high speed corners.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
Miata drivers routinely push around much more powerful 911's in all but the fastest high speed corners.
Not sure where you drive, but that doesn't happen around here.

All racing is expensive at the pointy end.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

All racing is expensive at the pointy end.
I was going to say that would only happen to under-tired or over-weight 911's by comparison. It's not like Miata's have some magic grip characteristics.

Scott
Old 04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Been a while since I visited. I'm partial to SRF (as a participant). It's everything you need, and nothing more. I trailer it behind the wife's SUV, and can carry two spare sets of wheels. Cobby old, non-interference engine, but a bona fide racing platform. Impeccable safety record.

After that it's Spec Miata. But to be in either of these groups, you have to be more into the racing than the cars ('cause the car's aint much). Some people, for very good reason, can't see themselves racing a girlie car (;-)), or in the case of SRF, an inverted hot tub, and they want a GT car image.

One thing you don't get with an SRF is a roof or a windscreen! (This was from last Sunday.)

http://youtu.be/hyG6rzHJ3lg
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 PM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by winders
I was going to say that would only happen to under-tired or over-weight 911's by comparison. It's not like Miata's have some magic grip characteristics.

Scott

Mostly it's tired, inexperienced 911 drivers in torsion bar cars being out maneuvered by light weight Miatas running modern design suspension systems.

Some "learning curve" GT3 drivers, as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

On any given Sunday, more Mazdas are wrecked than any other car
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampire
On any given Sunday, more Mazdas are wrecked than any other car
i can vouch for that! i've got a tight group guys who all came up through the pca de ranks together (nearly all are pca instructors and are involved in racing in some capacity with scca, pca, nasa and others) 6 of us have dabbled in the spec miata scene as an adjunct to other racing endeavors, and all 6 of us have been involved in some type of incident in the miatas over the past two seasons. two cars were totaled (one of which was a car that three of us shared and was nearly totaled two times before her eventual demise). one guy got wrecked so bad (tagged from behind going into 4 at summit point) that he broke a few ribs and didn't drive for a year.

three are still pretty gung ho about the spec miata thing and enjoy that type of racing. three will never get into a miata again. i think you just have to try it to see which half you will fall into.

Last edited by ninjabones; 04-27-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
dp35
Pro

Try this:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Try this:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://vimeo.com/40523007
Care to share when we should watch? I'm not going through 43 minutes to see one time a Miata passed a helpless guy in a 911.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fast driver in (any) slow car >> slow driver in fast car.

------

Joe's hit it on the head. Spend the money to do a cheaper car right, and you'll come out ahead of trying to scrape by in a more expensive class.

I have an endurance season championships in the Miata populated NASA E3 class. Just won this seasons opener by 5 seconds after three hours of racing on a trouble free run (had to be!). Reliability is all a matter of preparation.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:56 AM
sig_a
Pro

Care to share when we should watch? I'm not going through 43 minutes to see one time a Miata passed a helpless guy in a 911.
---------------------
18 through 20 is a sample.

Miata suspension is independent double wishbone front and multi-link rear. 1.6 liter engine mount point is behind front axle. 2150 pounds. Nearly 1 million sold to date.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
It's not like Miata's have some magic grip characteristics.

Scott
They actually seem to be greater than the sum of their parts. When they've been classed into classes like ITA which base a lot of classification off of power to weight they have been overdogs so far.

Quick Reply: Best Value/Most Reliable type of race car