Sponsored by:

Best Value/Most Reliable type of race car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
It doesn't mean the SM was a better car. There a lot of experienced drivers who have been doing DEs there for several years that are dog slow.

Scott
-------------

What it says is Miata's an easier car to control on road course versus torsion bar 911. Porsche has great potential when suspension is in tune.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:49 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
-------------

What it says is Miata's an easier car to control on road course versus torsion bar 911. Porsche has great potential when suspension is in tune.
It doesn't say that at all. You are trying to apply a general statement to a specific situation.

Scott
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
are aircooled 911s that reliable? I seem to be drawn to those
The motors in 2004-05 GT3s and 996 Turbos used the same case as the old air-cooled cars all the way back to the 70s.

I'm surprised there isn't more encouragement towards Spec 911, especially considering his location. If I lived in So Cal that's where I'd be. "Cool" cars running cheap tires with limited mods in large fields would be an easy decision for me.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
If you want to eventually go formula racing, karts are the way to go. A 125 shifter is a fast racing platform that is hard to match in a car. The cup is about as close to the same experience as I've felt. That said they will beat the crap out of you. A weekend of karting will take its toll, let alone if you have a hit. I quit because it got a little to scary being in traffic with kids that have no fear of death and parents that think they are raising the next Schumacher... IMHO not that much translates to sportscars.
This exactly mirrors my experience racing 125cc shifter karts. it's like warp speed compared to most cars. I got out of it for exactly these reasons - beat the crap outta me and I got tired of the rich / sponsered kids driving over my right rear taking out my exhaust / pipe and making for an expensive weekend.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i still think first question that has to be answered was for OP to tell what is his budget.
everybody have a some sort of firm upper limit and without knowing that it is difficult to say anything.

i am trying to kid myself that in time i will buy myself a 996 cup but life poses different goals from what i plan upon and money just keep going elsewhere every year.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
The motors in 2004-05 GT3s and 996 Turbos used the same case as the old air-cooled cars all the way back to the 70s.

I'm surprised there isn't more encouragement towards Spec 911, especially considering his location. If I lived in So Cal that's where I'd be. "Cool" cars running cheap tires with limited mods in large fields would be an easy decision for me.
Spec 911 is popular in Northern California with PRC but not really in Southern California. So most of the events would be 8+ hours away, except Buttonwillow. POC V3 and V4 cars are similar to the Spec 911, but without the crazy engines, motec, etc that some of the spec cars have. Wide bodywork and wheels, regeared tranmissions, and sticky tires are allowed unlike spec. That said, a Spec 911 car ran in V3 earlier this year and did pretty well, even on Toyo tires. The air cooled cars are a lot of fun and popular but they aren't the cheapest to race. Tires and race fuel will be more than the various spec classes mentioned. I think the OP needs to nail down his budget (including expected running costs), figure out which clubs appeal to him and have a good schedule, then go check out some events and talk to the racers.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crooster
This exactly mirrors my experience racing 125cc shifter karts. it's like warp speed compared to most cars. I got out of it for exactly these reasons - beat the crap outta me and I got tired of the rich / sponsered kids driving over my right rear because I was too fluffy taking out my exhaust / pipe and making for an expensive weekend.
Fixed it for you.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I have been tracking my 02 Boxster S for 3 years now, conservatively averaging 8-10 weekends/year, or 16-20 days/year. This amounts to up to 60 days with zero engine issues. Perhaps I am running on borrowed time?
Yes... I think you have been lucky. I don't want to make any assumptions, but is your car being raced or are you DE'ing the car? This thread was inquiring about best value and most reliable "race car". The abuse that an engine will see in typical race scenarios is not the same as what you see in an typical DE event (even with an exceptional driver). Having seen the number of boxster and 996 engines grenade that I have in the past 5 years, I don't think I'll change my opinion anytime soon. I'm just expressing my own experiences... your results may vary.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Spec 911 is popular in Northern California with PRC but not really in Southern California. So most of the events would be 8+ hours away, except Buttonwillow. POC V3 and V4 cars are similar to the Spec 911, but without the crazy engines, motec, etc that some of the spec cars have. Wide bodywork and wheels, regeared tranmissions, and sticky tires are allowed unlike spec. That said, a Spec 911 car ran in V3 earlier this year and did pretty well, even on Toyo tires. The air cooled cars are a lot of fun and popular but they aren't the cheapest to race. Tires and race fuel will be more than the various spec classes mentioned. I think the OP needs to nail down his budget (including expected running costs), figure out which clubs appeal to him and have a good schedule, then go check out some events and talk to the racers.
My mistake. I thought I remember that article in Excellence several years ago talking about a race at Willow Springs.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

JR, Kroc, what the hell is in that orange/white boxster?!

Back to the OP, if your interested in racing a PCar "affordably" a spec series is the way to go. In order of cost for both buy-in as well as operating:

1. Spec 944-$8-$12k, tires $900
2. Spec 911-$15-30k, tires $1000
3. Spec Boxster-$22-$40k, tires $1100
4. Spec 966-$25-$50k, tires $1200

The tire costs aren't that different but they last forever on the 944, the heavier/faster/more powerful the car the fewer HC you get. Each car has it's foibles; #2rod on the 944, high rebuild cost on the 911, Dchunk and oiling on the 986/996... prep is important to overcome the issues.

Pick your addiction based on others to race with and the size of the fields. Don't get anything too precious to put at risk W2W, and have fun!

There are other options but if your a Pcar guy they won't ever really scratch that itch...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
JR, Kroc, what the hell is in that orange/white boxster?...
The latest creation from my wrench Dan Aspesi of Speed Gallery. That was it's inaugural weekend and it was running on limited power due to a intake restriction. It's running a brand new Mike Bavaro (Bodymotion) 3.6 Koni motor which will dyno around 325 or more when completed. It's light at 2300 w/o driver and Kroc and I won't ever see it the next time it races as it will be 3 seconds faster...

PS: Like all of Dan's creations it's for sale reasonably at $39k (not a typo) with either a 5 or 6 speed-buyer's choice. Hell that motor costs close to $25k....

Next up is a slightly crashed 3.8-2011 RS w/3k miles. It's getting caged this week and will be a lightweight monster....

PS: I think you're really low on your estimate for the Spec 911 costs. Maybe Scott Winders will chime in....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 04-30-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thought I'd revive this thread from the spring.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about the B spec cars like the Honda Fit and others that are being made into racers? I believe that the 1.5 litre Honda Fit engine is also used in the Formula Vee or Formula Ford cars?

Brand new out of door, factory cage and all the safety goodies for around $23-25?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Thought I'd revive this thread from the spring.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about the B spec cars like the Honda Fit and others that are being made into racers? I believe that the 1.5 litre Honda Fit engine is also used in the Formula Vee or Formula Ford cars?

Brand new out of door, factory cage and all the safety goodies for around $23-25?
Fit motor is elgible for Formula F

As for B spec, very cool cars but limited classing at least from my perspective. They don't have a precise home in SCCA yet and who knows what's up with their GrandAm relationship right now. Also double check prices. A few people I know of found that they were a bit higher than they had expected, not much but a couple of thousand when it was all said and done.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

The B-Spec cars seem like a cool idea, but in my experience slow low level spec cars like that are fun to race door to door but not so much when you are just lapping and doing track days. Unless you are in a tight group racing hard you might get bored...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If the $22-$25k all in is your budget I'd go specboxster and not look back, plenty of nice cars in that range.

Last edited by J richard; 11-02-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: BaD rigtin

Quick Reply: Best Value/Most Reliable type of race car