Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone LIKE towing to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012 | 04:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Default Anyone LIKE towing to the track?

Does anyone actualy like driving the Truck/trailer to the track? I mean not just they like towing vs driving, but actually like the towing part? IE like cruising down the road with trailer a behind?

I fine myself liking the actual tow as well as the track driving. Not comparing one the other, but I don't really mind towing all day long. I think that is fun. I just hate the gas bill.

I tow a 24ft Enclosed trailer behind a 99 Dodge 2500 V10. Truck rides hard when empty, but very nice pulling the trailer 70 mph and 1900 rpm on flat ground. Easy, smoot and comfortable.

Am I the only one?

Old 04-18-2012 | 04:54 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Weirdly, I do - like I like all road trips. Getting away, stopping for coffee, the excitement of nearing the track, listening to a good audio book.
Though I used to be jealous of a friend that I would haul track tires for (and was therefore able to drive his Boxster on the road). He would follow me the whole way; must have been fun, staring at the back of my enclosed trailer, but he would set picks for me when I had to get into the left lane. Very handy.
I think I'm still stuck in the boy racer fantasy, which includes the race car, trailer, and lots of stuff to go with both. And a real nice truck to haul it with.
Old 04-18-2012 | 05:04 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

+1. Not to mention some of the stares and questions you get asked when you pull into a gas station or fast food joint.
Old 04-18-2012 | 05:17 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

No.

I'd rather be independently wealthy and just go from track to track with everything magically there for me.

My rig tows very nicely as well but my 47 year old **** doesn't like to sit for 12 hours to get to Daytona, the Glen or anywhere in between. Now that doesn't mean I won't do it but given the option......
Old 04-18-2012 | 05:26 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I guess I'm the opposite. I don't like towing and honestly don't like driving from point a to point b on the road. It is a combination of dealing with inefficient traffic lights, other drivers not paying attention or blocking the passing lane. Here in MO / KS - people feel entitled to the left lane and will have 50 cars in a 1/8 stretch and 2 cars to be passed in the right lane. Once they finally and slowly pass the car on the right they speed up b/c they can now be passed (so you get a nice delta of 15 mph from the left lane blockers). Anyway by the time I would get to the track I would be very tired.

I've simplified my towing with moving down from a big pickup with a gas guzzling engine and towing with a tow dolly (Miata can be towed in neutral). I'm getting ~ 20mpg towing the car at 60 mph with all my gear got 16 mpg on the tow back from Gateway Sunday going 70-75 mph with a headwind.
Old 04-18-2012 | 05:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I like it, too.
Old 04-18-2012 | 05:52 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I have to admit I like the tow ... stopping along the way for occasional breaks, etc. I thought maybe I was just crazy ...
Old 04-18-2012 | 06:02 PM
winders
Race Car

Not crazy at all! My wife and I really enjoy the road trips. Out here in California we are supposed to go 55 MPH which is not fun. But otherwise I really like it to. I'm just not good an backing up the trailer yet...

Scott
Old 04-18-2012 | 06:09 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Depends on where I'm going and how much time I have too waste. Seems like I'm always pushed for time getting to and heading home from races. The ideal scenario is flying to the tracks farther away without any flight delays or traffic to the track. Nice seamless trips.....I might enjoy the transporting part better when I'm retired and have plenty of time on my side.
Old 04-18-2012 | 06:26 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i like towing most of the time, but when its just me towing and no buddies along it gets boring. The ride back is less fun. Nothing like driving all day and then getting in the truck to leave.
Old 04-18-2012 | 07:20 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

We enjoy the tow to the track as well! The truck fully loaded, kids watching the DVD in the back seat, and the wife and I just chilling, chatting up front about how much fun we are going to have!
Old 04-18-2012 | 07:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I truly enjoy towing. I've always wanted to drive an 18 wheeler and I figure this is as close as I'll get. I recently towed back and forth from MA to VA each leg as a single haul.
I get my road food and play DVDs to keep me company. No, I'm not staring at the screen - I just enjoy listening to them.
It is particularly nice since we switched from an SUV to a diesel pickup. My wife LOVES the huge cabin of the truck. It's like driving a living room down the highway. Ahhhh, America.
Old 04-18-2012 | 07:52 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
The ideal scenario is flying to the tracks farther away without any flight delays or traffic to the track. Nice seamless trips.....
You, sir, are describing a private jet; perhaps a helicopter.
Old 04-18-2012 | 07:57 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Any road trip is a great one. Since my wife often comes along, and is very much part of our racing gang, we get to talk cars and racing much of the time.
I marrried well
For us, it's our time to talk, and catch up!

I do wish someone made a diesel 7 seat SUV that cost less than $50K to help with the fuel cost. I'm pretty attached to my enclosed trailer, and the wife to 7 seats, though. I'm anxious to see how the new Hemi Durango tows this week.
Old 04-18-2012 | 08:02 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Oh. my. god. ...you guys need some therapy... Joe I'm starting to worry about you man, Have you been running that generator in an enclosed space again?

(you doing indie?)

Quick Reply: Anyone LIKE towing to the track?