Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone LIKE towing to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

It's fun to embark on an adventure, in anticipation a great weekend racing. Once on the road you can take a deep breath and stop thinking about prepping the car and packing the trailer. I race a lot with my father and since I come from a big family it's one of the few times we can just chat and smoke cigars without a ton of commotion and distractions.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The towing part is great. It's the loading and unloading of all the stuff that you are towing that blows.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

After any years of towing a tire trailer behind my GT3 I went to the dark side. Those trips towing the tire trailer were fun. Whats not to like? No matter how tired I was, the trip back was relaxing... Always forgot to turn the radio on..

Fun to drive, but it wasn't a quick departure. I was always the last to leave because it takes time to change tires, mount and tie down two sets of tires, pack up tools and somehow squeeze all of my stuff into the car. Rolling your car into the trailer and tying it down is just easier and faster.

Towing my 24 foot trailer with a 2500 long bed diesel turns out to be a kind of fun too. A little more work squeezing through some toll's. Stupid comfortable and much easier to pack and go. I still can't back into those tiny slots at truck stops, but I'll get the hang of that eventually. I enjoy it.

And strangely, my girlfriend and I find those long trips fun too. We talk, listen to music, stop in quirky places at 3:00am (if we don't just drive through the night). Its our time together. And we enjoy it.. (Am I lucky or what??? )
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
No.

I'd rather be independently wealthy and just go from track to track with everything magically there for me.

My rig tows very nicely as well but my 47 year old **** doesn't like to sit for 12 hours to get to Daytona, the Glen or anywhere in between. Now that doesn't mean I won't do it but given the option......
^^ This. It's the reason I've never been and will likely never go to Sebring, Daytona, or anywhere else that's further than WG or Road America. I simply can't stomach the drive.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Any road trip is a great one. Since my wife often comes along, and is very much part of our racing gang, we get to talk cars and racing much of the time.
I marrried well
For us, it's our time to talk, and catch up!

I do wish someone made a diesel 7 seat SUV that cost less than $50K to help with the fuel cost. I'm pretty attached to my enclosed trailer, and the wife to 7 seats, though. I'm anxious to see how the new Hemi Durango tows this week.
There is supposed to be a diesel Grand Cherokee and Durango coming to market next year. I'd bet those go over $50k though but you'd make up for it quickly with having to refuel less often.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it very much if I am traveling to a track a little further away then my house. NHMS is 30 minutes, so I am fine with driving to that. But given I tow with a Chevy 1500, I only hate it when I have to do a lot of hills .
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind once I'm out on the open highway. But the lead up to leaving the house and the city driving to get out of town... no way.

Even with a newer, reliable truck I still hate the back of the mind thoughts about problems along the way. I just want to get there and back with no issues or life stories.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Oh. my. god. ...you guys need some therapy... Joe I'm starting to worry about you man, Have you been running that generator in an enclosed space again?

(you doing indie?)
I am missing Inde. Daughter's 6th birthday party mostly, but also because I really need to get to some basic work on my car. Motor is sick and so is the electrical. I am thinking I need to spend the summer off getting the car back to the level of prep it needs to be at. The last 18 months have been tough mosty band-aiding alot of litttle things instead of fixing them right. My run at Autoclub was tough since the car was just not compeitive. Fun to be there, but hard to know I was not bring my best stuff to a big race. At least a Chuckwalla being a new track i could drive around a soft motor. Truthfully I want be back running at Inde in october with nice freshly prepped car.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
The towing part is great. It's the loading and unloading of all the stuff that you are towing that blows.
True that!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I always liked the "idea" of towing to the track, but the uncertainty associated with tire blowouts on the trailer took all of the fun out of it . I'm a screw magnet.

That was until I purchased a wireless tire monitoring system for the trailer and my tow vehicle. Now I have tire pressure and temperature data at my fingertips and alerts for any pressure/temp issues that are user defined.

Case in point: Was getting the rig ready for a track weekend and fired up the monitoring system and one of the trailer tires threw a low pressure alert ... 16 lbs in passenger side, front axle ... $400 and now I can focus my worries elsewhere, like the wall on T17 at Sebring .
Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
I always liked the "idea" of towing to the track, but the uncertainty associated with tire blowouts on the trailer took all of the fun out of it . I'm a screw magnet.

That was until I purchased a wireless tire monitoring system for the trailer and my tow vehicle. Now I have tire pressure and temperature data at my fingertips and alerts for any pressure/temp issues that are user defined.

Case in point: Was getting the rig ready for a track weekend and fired up the monitoring system and one of the trailer tires threw a low pressure alert ... 16 lbs in passenger side, front axle ... $400 and now I can focus my worries elsewhere, like the wall on T17 at Sebring .
Like the idea...link please.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I like towing to the track, going home not so much. I am usually pretty tired and it just seems to take longer to get home.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Like the idea...link please.
Pressure Pro tire system. Here's the one I use. I don't monitor the truck, just my trailer tires.

http://www.tirepressuremonitor.com/p...opole-monitor/

I tried some cheaper ones off ebay but after a flat it told me was still pressured up so I threw it away. This one's expensive but works.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate it !

The worst is when you keep some space with the car in front in traffic so I can brake if needed and some %&$()/"% cut you off to get in the space and hit the brakes... or when you NEED to refuel and the only gas station you find has a very small lot where you can't even go backward and another *&%&$%&?"$ block you to move forward.

I would rather have my car delivered to the tracks !
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

If I liked towing that much, I'd've gotten a boat.

OTOH, I do agree with liking the part about relaxing during the tow, the road trip, and thinking about the weekend ahead. Then, and only then, it becomes something to look forward to...

Quick Reply: Anyone LIKE towing to the track?