Sponsored by:

Anyone LIKE towing to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
If I liked towing that much, I'd've gotten a boat.
Towing a boat is worse because the whole launch and retrieve sequence can be a comedy of errors, usually with a big audience. Not to mention the occasional fist fight that breaks out at crowded launch ramps.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Like the idea...link please.
http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.html

I did a fair amount of research (RV Forums) before choosing the TST solution. Great customer service and easy setup was the general consensus from most RV users. It took me about 30 minutes to setup the system. Good luck.

Regards, Dave

Last edited by Dave 86 930 Fl; 04-19-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather tow than fly. I used to like flying, but now it's just a PIA.

Joel - I hope the diesel Durango comes in for well under $50K. I paid $38 for my R/T with leather, NAV, backup camera, sunroof, Hemi, etc. I heard about it possibly being in the works, but didn't want to wait another year +. The Hemi sure makes some nice sounds slurping all that gas...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To me towing is a big part of racing experience. I onced towed 4hrs to a track, then had the motor blow up in 16 minutes on track and then towed home 4 hrs. All in the same day. Yeah it was a long day, but the tow was not too bad. My last two races have been 4 hr tow one way and 6 hr tow one way. The second was with my wife and daughter. They were a lot happier than it might seem. I had my daugher hooked up to a TV in the back so she watched movies the entire time. Made 2 stops for gas/food/bathroom. Wife was happy since I used an inverter to hook up her lap top and she was busy working on her jewerly business. My dodge is so wide there was plenty of space and with trailer and about 1000lbs in bed it rides really smooth. In fact we had constant 20-40 mph cross winds an other needing to take it out overdrive and run 2500 rpm (instead my normal 1900) truck ran rock solid. Not so boring as for me to fall asleep, but no so much wind as to really get tired fighting it. The only down side was sucking down the gas at a rate I did not want to calcuate. (the 8.0L V10 is smooth, but uses ALOT of gas)

I really think part of towing to the track is about what you are towing with. Tow with something marginal and maybe a struggle the entire distance. Tow with something stable and capable and then it all sort of falls in place.

Heck I really think that I would make a good truck driver ...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 PM
flink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.html

I did a fair amount of research (RV Forums) before choosing the TST solution.
Thanks. I once tried a cheap accutire system and it was disastrously bad.

TST appear to have a newer model, the 507 (http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html) which has "user replaceable batteries" in the valve-stem senders. It makes me wonder what happens when the batteries run out in the older 510RV system.

The new 507 system is the same price as the old one and has "A TWO YEAR WARRANTY IF PURCHASED IN APRIL 2012!!". So I think I'll go click on it. Do you think that's the way to go?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flink
Thanks. I once tried a cheap accutire system and it was disastrously bad.

TST appear to have a newer model, the 507 (http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html) which has "user replaceable batteries" in the valve-stem senders. It makes me wonder what happens when the batteries run out in the older 510RV system.

The new 507 system is the same price as the old one and has "A TWO YEAR WARRANTY IF PURCHASED IN APRIL 2012!!". So I think I'll go click on it. Do you think that's the way to go?
I'd love an answer also, as I'd like to have one.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:24 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the ride. The KC Track Rats usually travel in a pack and I like running with them and then stopping at the assigned places to refuel, eat and chat. We literally stop at the same gas stations and eaterys for every track trip. Fun, amazing how many people remember us from year to year.... I usually get a book on CD which helps pass the time. Sort of feels like suspended animation on the trip, like the time doesn't count against you. Always have an AC/DC cd ready and play "Heatseeker" upon arrival at each track.

Part of the experience that has become enormously dear to me.

bob
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
flink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also the old system has available an "easy to install repeater for an additional $59". That sounds pretty useful if one gets into distance problems. They don't mention whether it works with the newer 507 system.

I suppose I could get off my tail and call them tomorrow!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

From TSTs website:

What happens when sensor batteries do expire?

As with all wireless systems, when 510 sensor batteries do finally die, you can simply return them to us. For $19.95, we will replace all sensor gaskets, we will replace the shell, we will replace the battery, and we will tender to you a reworked sensor ready for 5+ more years of service. The 507 batteries are intended to be changed approximately every 10-12 months. The 507 sensors operate utilizing a CR1632 battery which is readily available and easy to change.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the ride. The KC Track Rats usually travel in a pack and I like running with them and then stopping at the assigned places to refuel, eat and chat. We literally stop at the same gas stations and eaterys for every track trip. Fun, amazing how many people remember us from year to year.... I usually get a book on CD which helps pass the time. Sort of feels like suspended animation on the trip, like the time doesn't count against you. Always have an AC/DC cd ready and play "Heatseeker" upon arrival at each track.

bob
Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somehow towing my car to the track causes me to play Country music. Now, when I was growing up in the 60's/70's I hated when my father put on a "Western station". But somehow when I get my GT3 on the trailer and I head to the track, Country Western seems appropriate.

OK OK I am not too far gone. After 1 hour or so Ozzie seems to find its way in. Oh well. :-)
Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
Somehow towing my car to the track causes me to play Country music. Now, when I was growing up in the 60's/70's I hated when my father put on a "Western station". But somehow when I get my GT3 on the trailer and I head to the track, Country Western seems appropriate.

OK OK I am not too far gone. After 1 hour or so Ozzie seems to find its way in. Oh well. :-)
You know you are trouble when you start blasting blue grass. Unfortunately sat radio has some pretty good stations.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:32 AM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by jayhawk

bob
FWIW you could play any one of AC/DC's tunes on either side of their 13 records and each would sound exactly the same.

Why worry?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
From TSTs website:

What happens when sensor batteries do expire?

As with all wireless systems, when 510 sensor batteries do finally die, you can simply return them to us. For $19.95, we will replace all sensor gaskets, we will replace the shell, we will replace the battery, and we will tender to you a reworked sensor ready for 5+ more years of service. The 507 batteries are intended to be changed approximately every 10-12 months. The 507 sensors operate utilizing a CR1632 battery which is readily available and easy to change.
Just pulled the trigger on the 507, nice package and I really like the idea.

If I have any worries on the road at all, it's the tires on the trailer...I think this can help alleviate them.

Quick Reply: Anyone LIKE towing to the track?