Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best all round camera systems available?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default What are the best all round camera systems available?

What I'm thinking is at least a twin camera system that integrates with Motec setup. Auto start / stop. HD. Heads up data display etc...

Of course Motec have their own system and it would make sense to run with theirs...but to date it's not HD and I'm not convinced of the quality.
I do hear that they're bringing out something else but haven't heard a timeframe on this.
While I do want quality, cost is still a consideration in the mix.

Also, what's a really good and easy to use Editing software package? I've flirted with a few in the past and not found them particularly easy to use.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

MoTeC integration. HUD. HD. Two-camera. Then, less expensive? Don't want much, do you?

I would not hold my breath on "something else coming" anytime very soon.

The technical challenges of integrated, data-rendered video that is HD are still substantial, otherwise you'd see it out already.

For the MoTeC, there is their system (which I haven't seen in the wild), there is the Chase DIVA (which supposedly offers an HD option but is not yet sorted from reports in the field) and there is now Race-Keeper integration.

As far as editing packages, the reason why the integration angle is being pushed so much is because there really is no post processing editing software that is "very easy" to use.

Sorry I can't be more positive and optimistic on this, but the growing sophistication, power and flexibility of these systems (data and video) are making them more complicated and difficult to use, not less.

When you take HD out, it widens the net markedly. There are SD systems that are MUCH better than others and honestly, folks like AiM are improving their quality in each batch of their products. It's all a good trend.

Good luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

As ever Peter, very informative and open advice. Thankyou.
Agreed on the wanting Cake and eat it too syndrome. Perhaps I have to think about ticking most of the boxes, not necessarily all of them.

Have you had any direct experience with the Race Tech product?

http://www.race-technology.com/video4_2_7539.html

Also, do you think it's reasonable to expect to be able to buy into a brand and have it 'grow' during the ownership. That is, will something be able to improve over time with updates / uploads?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
As ever Peter, very informative and open advice.

I have to think about ticking most of the boxes, not necessarily all of them.

Have you had any direct experience with the Race Technology product?

Also, do you think it's reasonable to expect to be able to buy into a brand and have it 'grow' during the ownership. That is, will something be able to improve over time with updates / uploads?
Thanks!

I think that is a good strategy ("ticking most of the boxes") that will get you what will help you right away!

I first worked with the Race Technology DL-1 in 2002, shortly after it was introduced as the first GPS based DAQ unit for a reasonable price (it was more expensive then than now).

I have one in my car (along with TM, VVBLite, RK and now an EVO4) to help me generate comparative data and keep me up to speed using the latest V8 software.

The US importer, Al Seim, is not far from my office at the track and is one of the best, hardest working guys in the business. His resources are a little limited (he's a one man band) but his support is excellent and he's a great representative for the system. NO ONE knows more about Race Technology products in the US than Al does. It's a worthwhile option and one that should be considered. The integrated DL-1/Video4 should be pretty good. Not sure if it's here, yet. You can buy a Video4 and add a DL-1, that I do know, but check with Al.

<I just noticed your in Oz. You should check with your local Race Technology importer.>

Your last question, about the systems "growing" in their capability and ease of use, is SPOT ON! I think that is why I'm really optimistic about ALL the name-brand systems. Just the improvements I've seen lately in the hardware of AiM and Traqmate, and the software of Video VBOX and Race-Keeper, make it all worthwhile.

That's why I don't get my shorts in a wad worrying about the potential of "planned obsolescence" of ANY of these more substantial, name-brand systems. It's encouraging and you should be encouraged, too!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a ChaseCam DIVA with my MoTeC (both the old SDL and now the ADL3). I use the non-HD DIVA with 2 cameras with automatic on/off triggered from the ADL. I used to use the PDR 100 with SS1000 to get 2 cameras and used the MoTeC VSM to sync them. Both work, the auto trigger is easier. Integration of the video directly into i2pro is great.

I use Track Vision software to overlay the data onto the video. Once you get it figured out it's very easy. An example
(PCA race at Fontana last year Part 1 of 2). I've not managed to find the time to create a MoTeC ADL3 dash to use to display the data as it does on a real dash. Some day ...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Great advice both.
I have the feeling that in the not too distant future we will have everything and more in an integrated, affordable system. Not sure whether to wait a little longer and just jump in now with a 'medium' system or just go for one of the above recommended systems and see where it takes me. Either way, plenty of options.

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race-Keeper has a HD setup available now.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Race-Keeper has a HD setup available now.
That is not true, and I am a dealer. Sorry.

Race-Keeper offers an upgrade called "Dual Stream Video Capture + HD Export Software."

Description: This is a software add-on that i) enables your Race-Keeper on-board system to capture two full-stream videos simultaneously (instead of picture-in-picture, reduced quality), and ii) expands Race-Keeper Comparo's export feature to export dual stream video (both camera views at full 640 x 480 resolution), gauge overlays and optional user-defined custom graphics to a 1920x1080 HD palette (total) for playback on an HD display.

It will export all the collected nformation on a 1920 x 1080 screen, but the video files are standard definition (DVD quality) 640 x 480 resolution.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, Tom! Not sure the HD DIVA is ready yet.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Great advice both.
I have the feeling that in the not too distant future we will have everything and more in an integrated, affordable system. Not sure whether to wait a little longer and just jump in now with a 'medium' system or just go for one of the above recommended systems and see where it takes me. Either way, plenty of options.

Thanks again.
Jump in now! No matter what you get, you will not regret having data to help you improve.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
That is not true, and I am a dealer. Sorry.

Race-Keeper offers an upgrade called "Dual Stream Video Capture + HD Export Software."

Description: This is a software add-on that i) enables your Race-Keeper on-board system to capture two full-stream videos simultaneously (instead of picture-in-picture, reduced quality), and ii) expands Race-Keeper Comparo's export feature to export dual stream video (both camera views at full 640 x 480 resolution), gauge overlays and optional user-defined custom graphics to a 1920x1080 HD palette (total) for playback on an HD display.

It will export all the collected nformation on a 1920 x 1080 screen, but the video files are standard definition (DVD quality) 640 x 480 resolution.
Ok, so it's close to HD

My opinion, HD is a little overkill for track video. As long as I can review it on my iMac, that's fine!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom W
I use a ChaseCam DIVA with my MoTeC (both the old SDL and now the ADL3). I use the non-HD DIVA with 2 cameras with automatic on/off triggered from the ADL. I used to use the PDR 100 with SS1000 to get 2 cameras and used the MoTeC VSM to sync them. Both work, the auto trigger is easier. Integration of the video directly into i2pro is great.

I use Track Vision software to overlay the data onto the video. Once you get it figured out it's very easy. An example here (PCA race at Fontana last year Part 1 of 2). I've not managed to find the time to create a MoTeC ADL3 dash to use to display the data as it does on a real dash. Some day ...
+1 for Trackvision!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Ok, so it's close to HD

My opinion, HD is a little overkill for track video. As long as I can review it on my iMac, that's fine!
+1, although the GoPro HD Hero 2 I used today sure was pretty!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Replay XD1080 that I use too - much nicer video at 60 fps than what you get from a standard camera. It just takes more work to sync the data to the video as there is no MoTeC integration.

On my wish list would be fully 1080p at 60 fps for the front facing camera with a 'standard' camera for the rear to do as PIP. I'm sure you could do it today with available equipment and with post-processing, but I can imagine a pretty long and steep learning curve. I like it simple so I can spend time figuring out how to go faster.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I want it for two purposes. Of course to put some image to the data that the Motec equip derives for learning purposes, but also I'd like to have great quality images and be able to edit easily into attractive videos with cut-aways and different camera angles etc.

So this quality is passable and holds it's resolution when I go to wide screen. Looks to be either coming off the Go Pro or the other camera which I'm sure one of you knowledgeable guys can identify. I would be happy with this result especially if it integrates with the Motec. Is this possible?

Quick Reply: What are the best all round camera systems available?