Sponsored by:

NASA - PRC - GTS- x rules NORCAL - question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default NASA - PRC - GTS- x rules NORCAL - question

Im sure its in the rules, but just wanted to make sure im not missing anything.

is there a passener side , side containment net required with NASA for the GTS group, and is this also part of the PRC requirements? Mike , you know this stuff, you out there?

im probably going to run a few NASA events, GTS if there is enough cars, and or PRC. I thought PRC ran under its own sanctioning which was PCA racing rules. leading to my next question, does PCA require passenger side containment nets now?

Ive only been doing SCCA races for the past few years, aside from a POC race a year ago. curious if the side containment nexts are becomeing a requirement for most all sanctioning bodies.

Also, fuel cells. ive always been skeptical of most of the syetems and seems maybe racers have a year of teething pains before they work properly. I have a colapsible plastic gas tank, protected by steel bulkheads and its very simiaar to the factory GT3 cup car when it first came out. its legal for SCCA racing, and wondering if it is going to be legal for NASA GTS-x because they race in the race group where all have to follow the same safety standards. however, PRC, a porsche run group, tends to run under PCA rules whch allow a showroom stock level of safety equip, but adding the major safety gear to a basically stock car, sans the fuel cell.

any insite on where things are and are going would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

NASA GTS does not require fuel cells, but they require either a halo seat or a center drivers net on normal seats.... The Estate has a NASA GTS2 book.....since the Racetech is a halo seat....the new racer has a normal seat...so I will have to switch seats or install a center net.....

NCRC will let you run normal seats with only the drivers net....
Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
NASA GTS does not require fuel cells...
True. But, if you don't have the stock tank, NASA requires the replacement tank to be "FIA FT3 (or higher) certified".

All one needs to do is read the rulebooks......

Scott
Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

Scott
+1

This may be part of the issue we have all been beating our heads against the wall with MK, he doesn't read the rulebooks ??? WOW !

Sorry MK, if you are not willing to read the rule book for the racing organization you plan on racing with, then I'm not offering my opinion.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey Mark, I hope that all is well with you.

I still write the rules for the Porsche Racing Challenge Series. These are the PRC races run under NASA sanction. The PRC is not a sanctioning body.

The Porsche Racing Challenge Series rules can be found on the PRC and NASA web sites. Please note that they refer to both the NASA Club Codes and Regulations (CCR) and the PCA Club Racing Rules. So you will need to access all three documents for proper guidance.

- Mike
Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

By the way...

The NASA GTS rules can also be accessed on the NASA web site, so I suggest having a look at those as well if you are considering a GTS race.

As far as where things are headed, it is difficult to predict. Typically the common sanctioning bodies update rules each year, and they try to make it easy for you to see things that are changed (changed, added and/or deleted).

And to make it crystal clear, the PRC is not a sanctioning body. The Porsche Racing Challenge Series is run under NASA sanction. Some of the folks that race in these events also race in SCCA, PCA and other sanctioning body's events from time to time. If/when the do so, that sanctioning body's rules apply.

To race in Porsche Racing Challenge Series events, you need to have a NASA license and meet all of the other requirements.

Once you have reviewed the rules, if you still have questions, please feel free to ping me via e-mail.

The next Series event is in April at Thunderhill.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 PM
flink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Im probably going to run a few NASA events, GTS if there is enough cars
I race an e36 in GTS3 in Norcal.

I'm not sure where you are with power/weight, but if you can get to 11:1 for GTS3, that's the one to choose. GTS2 only has a couple of cars lately, one of which is Paul in his little Merc, and he's very quick. GTS4 is empty and there's occasionally one car in GTS5.

We had six cars in GTS3 last month (all e36's), which was a bit more than usual - I normally expect 3-5. It's very competitive - some of the guys are really fast, doing 1:55's around thill bypass and 1:46's at SP. With me a couple of seconds behind

GTS gets tossed in with a large number of other classes and GTS3 is pretty much the fastest class out there, apart from a handful of ST/SU/GTS5 cars. So a large part of the racing is being able to cut through out-of-class traffic as quickly as possible while still maintaining, err, appropriate amounts of courtesy.

Anyway, it would be great to have you out there! Brian tells me you might be at TH April 8?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:21 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
+1

This may be part of the issue we have all been beating our heads against the wall with MK, he doesn't read the rulebooks ??? WOW !

Sorry MK, if you are not willing to read the rule book for the racing organization you plan on racing with, then I'm not offering my opinion.
sorry, really? I have read the rule books cover to cover when i was racing with all sorts of organizatiions. i just wanted to know what has changed. many times you have to read them all again to figure it out. I thougth my racing friends could save me a little time, by offering some brief cliff notes of the change. why do you have to be like this?? The discussion here on many topics, can be answered by doing a little research. if we all took your advice, and didnt ask questions, we wouldnt have a discussion board.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flink
I race an e36 in GTS3 in Norcal.

I'm not sure where you are with power/weight, but if you can get to 11:1 for GTS3, that's the one to choose. GTS2 only has a couple of cars lately, one of which is Paul in his little Merc, and he's very quick. GTS4 is empty and there's occasionally one car in GTS5.

We had six cars in GTS3 last month (all e36's), which was a bit more than usual - I normally expect 3-5. It's very competitive - some of the guys are really fast, doing 1:55's around thill bypass and 1:46's at SP. With me a couple of seconds behind

GTS gets tossed in with a large number of other classes and GTS3 is pretty much the fastest class out there, apart from a handful of ST/SU/GTS5 cars. So a large part of the racing is being able to cut through out-of-class traffic as quickly as possible while still maintaining, err, appropriate amounts of courtesy.

Anyway, it would be great to have you out there! Brian tells me you might be at TH April 8?
my old car was GTS4, and would be fairly competitive at the tracks where weight wasnt a big advantage, but the new one is going be tough to bring down to GTS4. not that tough, just have to bolt on a little weight and restrict the power a little. So, i pretty much have to be limited to GTS4, with no chance of GTS3 without making the car extremely heavy, and absoltely no fun to drive at track like sears.
its too bad the GTS series hasnt taken off more out west, but ive run with the BMWs that are in the GTS3-4 range for many years. im sure the 1:47 cars at Sears will fun to race with as its always fun to race cars with different advantages on a given track. you want any series to be classed correctly. GTS in World challenge and Grand am is doing this now. GTS-x just needed to add one rule change to incorporate absolute weight to even things out, not just HP -weight ratios. But, thats ok. if the racing group has some close competitors , I couldnt really care what the class structure is. So, maybe Ill be out there.

I have to see where I want to run, but im sure ill get a few nasa weekends in this season. one main reason is that SCCA has jacked up the prices for the events, and they barely run at Sears, a track I really like running.
So, i do hope to see you out there one way or another. Thanks for the info.
Mark
Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

sorry, really? I have read the rule books cover to cover when i was racing with all sorts of organizatiions. i just wanted to know what has changed. many times you have to read them all again to figure it out. I thougth my racing friends could save me a little time, by offering some brief cliff notes of the change. why do you have to be like this?? The discussion here on many topics, can be answered by doing a little research. if we all took your advice, and didnt ask questions, we wouldnt have a discussion board.
You seem to search out conflicts Mark, not answers, and definitely not discussions.

None of us here could possibly know which rules may or may not have changed since you last read the rules. You are responsible for reading the rules, please read them.
I am sure you have spent more time posting here than it would have taken you to pull up the rule book online and search for the answer to your questions.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
By the way...

The NASA GTS rules can also be accessed on the NASA web site, so I suggest having a look at those as well if you are considering a GTS race.

As far as where things are headed, it is difficult to predict. Typically the common sanctioning bodies update rules each year, and they try to make it easy for you to see things that are changed (changed, added and/or deleted).

And to make it crystal clear, the PRC is not a sanctioning body. The Porsche Racing Challenge Series is run under NASA sanction. Some of the folks that race in these events also race in SCCA, PCA and other sanctioning body's events from time to time. If/when the do so, that sanctioning body's rules apply.

To race in Porsche Racing Challenge Series events, you need to have a NASA license and meet all of the other requirements.

Once you have reviewed the rules, if you still have questions, please feel free to ping me via e-mail.

The next Series event is in April at Thunderhill.

thanks Mike! its been a long time. Ill look forward to seeing you out there. Ill get the license stuff out of the way, and since no one has answered the one thing that i will probably need, like a side containment net, ill have to install one of those and should be good.

Thanks again!

Mark
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
You seem to search out conflicts Mark, not answers, and definitely not discussions.

None of us here could possibly know which rules may or may not have changed since you last read the rules. You are responsible for reading the rules, please read them.
I am sure you have spent more time posting here than it would have taken you to pull up the rule book online and search for the answer to your questions.
hey, go outside, give your dog a swift kick and come back. Hope you feel better! your funny! yes, the guys that were posting are the ones that know its been 6 or so years since ive run a nasa event. they gave me a few high level questions. i bring up some of my car's elements, because even though rules are written, they often do exceptions where they make sense. a cup car style fuel tank, is a great example of this. But, if the group that has run the ruls and been running the series knew that was not an exception, i would thought i would hear about it here. thats it.

So, when you are done kicking the dog, come back and post a comment that might help me, or go read something else. its that simple here, right?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

thanks
Originally Posted by winders
True. But, if you don't have the stock tank, NASA requires the replacement tank to be "FIA FT3 (or higher) certified".

Scott
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 AM
flink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, i pretty much have to be limited to GTS4, with no chance of GTS3 without making the car extremely heavy, and absoltely no fun to drive at track like sears.
Well, there are always restrictor plates...

You would be all on your own in GTS4. Perhaps look at ST2, at 8.4:1? ST2 gets 2 cars, maybe: Dean in his LS1 Miata, Bill in his vette. Or SU - it seems to get 3-6 cars and they aren't rocket ships; Bill has entered his ST2 car in SU a couple of times and won.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

hey, go outside, give your dog a swift kick and come back. Hope you feel better! your funny! yes, the guys that were posting are the ones that know its been 6 or so years since ive run a nasa event. they gave me a few high level questions. i bring up some of my car's elements, because even though rules are written, they often do exceptions where they make sense. a cup car style fuel tank, is a great example of this. But, if the group that has run the ruls and been running the series knew that was not an exception, i would thought i would hear about it here. thats it.

So, when you are done kicking the dog, come back and post a comment that might help me, or go read something else. its that simple here, right?
You are not my worries Mark, never have been, Darwinism will prevail at the rate you are going.
I do seriously worry about the newer readers of Rennlist that might see your 19,000 posts and actually think you might have a clue of what you are doing.
That is the only reason I ever post to your absurdly silly continuous banter anymore, it's not really for you, I thought you knew that, I post for the other readers knowledge.
Glad we cleared that up.

Quick Reply: NASA - PRC - GTS- x rules NORCAL - question