Sponsored by:

NASA - PRC - GTS- x rules NORCAL - question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Hey Mark:

Again, please note that the Porsche Racing Challenge Series rules can be found on the PRC and NASA web sites. Please note that they refer to both the NASA Club Codes and Regulations (CCR) and the PCA Club Racing Rules. So you will need to access all three documents for proper guidance. Be sure to carefully review the entire Porsche Racing Challenge Series rules, including the Appendix called "Guidelines for Racing." This Appendix governs behavior we expect from our racers, and differs from material found in SCCA, NASA CCR, PCA and other group's rules.

Regarding NASA/PRC requirements for head restraint/side impact, you will find language in the NASA CCR section 15. Basically, you will need a restraint system/net if your seat doesn't have a provision for head restraint. If you do need one, you can get an idea of how folks have mounted these things up by visiting one of our events, or perhaps by taking a peek at a few cars at a nearby shop.

The 2012 Porsche Racing Challenge Series rules are based on and refer to the 2012 PCA car classification structure, so you class your car based on that. We do not distinguish between full slick tires and DOT-compliant tires so you may want to take that into account.

My guess is that based on its modifications, engine displacement and type, and likely weight, your car will be in a GT class, perhaps GT2 or GT3.

You will likely need a log book and an annual tech. I suggest JWE or TC Design Fab if they are still doing tech work. They are both familiar with Porsches and our rule set. JWE is probably closest to where you live and would be an excellent choice. I was there when they teched Scott's car, and Rich did an excellent and thorough job.

Cheers,

MM
Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 869 Likes on 430 Posts

I don't think Mark's "fuel cell" will pass tech....

Scott
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Hey Mark:

Again, please note that the Porsche Racing Challenge Series rules can be found on the PRC and NASA web sites. Please note that they refer to both the NASA Club Codes and Regulations (CCR) and the PCA Club Racing Rules. So you will need to access all three documents for proper guidance. Be sure to carefully review the entire Porsche Racing Challenge Series rules, including the Appendix called "Guidelines for Racing." This Appendix governs behavior we expect from our racers, and differs from material found in SCCA, NASA CCR, PCA and other group's rules.

Regarding NASA/PRC requirements for head restraint/side impact, you will find language in the NASA CCR section 15. Basically, you will need a restraint system/net if your seat doesn't have a provision for head restraint. If you do need one, you can get an idea of how folks have mounted these things up by visiting one of our events, or perhaps by taking a peek at a few cars at a nearby shop.

The 2012 Porsche Racing Challenge Series rules are based on and refer to the 2012 PCA car classification structure, so you class your car based on that. We do not distinguish between full slick tires and DOT-compliant tires so you may want to take that into account.

My guess is that based on its modifications, engine displacement and type, and likely weight, your car will be in a GT class, perhaps GT2 or GT3.

You will likely need a log book and an annual tech. I suggest JWE or TC Design Fab if they are still doing tech work. They are both familiar with Porsches and our rule set. JWE is probably closest to where you live and would be an excellent choice. I was there when they teched Scott's car, and Rich did an excellent and thorough job.

Cheers,

MM
does my old PRC log book count? as far as classing , i think at around 9:1, its going to be GT2-3 , and like said, it doesnt matter. Ill race with Dean and the vet, if im in that class or just with the PRC group like the old days. either way , it should be fun and good to see you out there again. Been way too long.
thanks,

Mark

Originally Posted by onefastviking
You are not my worries Mark, never have been, Darwinism will prevail at the rate you are going.
I do seriously worry about the newer readers of Rennlist that might see your 19,000 posts and actually think you might have a clue of what you are doing.
That is the only reason I ever post to your absurdly silly continuous banter anymore, it's not really for you, I thought you knew that, I post for the other readers knowledge.
Glad we cleared that up.
I post on experience and i think i qualify of having a lot. after racing for 15 years, and 100s of race days, you would think that my "luck" would have worn out, but still i end up with NO DNFs, no car issues, no safey issues, no engine failures, very little contact, ( if you dont take the crazy 4 lap down honda out of control contact , into account) and the many years of successful instruction for which anyone that has raced with me or been a student can attest, im not as crazy as you would suggest. my banter here is to fight common misconceptions, period. I back up what i say with fact and experience, without predijuce. You can either take it as a data point or dismiss it. no need to get nasty. The insults usualy roll off, usually from someone that cant accept a second take or point of view. Thats life.
The reason that i have been so lucky in the sport as i do try and do my homework, not only on the driving side, but on the building side as well.

Those that know me, see the same car for 10 years, with out ever pulling out a wrench at the track, and driving to and from the track as well, for most all races. Now, if i had "no clue" you would think my times or record would reflect an incling of it, but it doesnt now does it. There is a reason you always see some $100k racer driven by a pro racer behind me in my pictures. Im doing just a few things right. I like helping others do those things right too.

have fun, and follow the herd, you will probalby be ok. . But, dont be a hater!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders

Scott
why is that?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark kibort
why is that?
Is it "FIA FT3 (or higher) certified"?

Scott
Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Mark:

As far as I know, the Porsche Racing Club has never issued any type of logbook. Since I helped start the PRC, and have written the rules since the beginning in 2001-2002, I am pretty sure of this. So you will need a NASA logbook.

A few other things to note:

The NASA CCR spells out what you have to do if your safety equipment has ever been used... that is if you were ever in an accident with the gear. I am not sure if those requirements apply to any of your gear, but I recommend reviewing the rules carefully just in case.

As you may know, a few years ago, PCA changed its class structure. Now there is an index of performance based on engine type and along with engine displacement and the vehicle's weight, you use that to determine a GT class. It is all spelled out in the PCA rules document.

As far as fuel cells go, the NASA Porsche Racing Challenge Series Rules include language specifying requirements. It is theoretically possible to have a cell which meets these requirements along with PCA requirements, but does NOT meet NASA CCR requirements. As far as I know, you must meet full NASA CCR fuel cell requirements to race in the NASA GTS class.

- MM
Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Mark, per NASA on fuel cells Scott is correct (page 54 of the NASA rulebook):

"15.4 Fuel Cell / Tank
As of January 1, 2009 no new logbooks will be issued for vehicles with a fuel cell, unless
the fuel cell is FIA FT3 (or higher) certified. As of January 1, 2012 all fuel cells must be
FIA FT3 (or higher) certified, regardless of the date of purchase or date of the logbook
issuance."

and:

"15.4.2 Rotary-molded cells
Rotary-molded cells are not allowed unless the bladder meets the current FIA FT3
specifications and carries the current FIA FT3 standard certification mark, label, or
stamp. Most or all JAZ and RCI brand cells are examples of rotary-molded cells that do
not carry such ratings. [Notes: A good fuel cell is made by companies such as ATL or
Fuel Safe (other than their entry level models), and should cost $550 or more. Beware
of inexpensive “SCCA APPROVED” cells. While SCCA is a fine organization, the stamp
of approval found on some safety items may pertain to other forms of racing, and may
not be consistent with these rules. Consult an expert before purchase."

and (not to flog a dead horse but it is important) from appendix D:

"29.1 Head and Neck Restraint Systems
29.1.1 General
There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here:
http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1. If the device is not on this list it will not
fulfill the use mandate. As of April 1, 2012 all devices that have and SFI certification and
are more than five (5) years old should be sent back to the manufacturer for rectification
per SFI 38.1 specifications. Those devices that have an FIA certification, whether they
also have an SFI certification or not, are not required to be recertified.
29.1.2 Installation and Replacement
Any systems used must be installed and used according to the manufacturer’s
directions. The driver is ultimately responsible for the proper installation and use of
these devices. It should be noted that “webbing based” systems should be replaced at
least every three years or sooner if the manufacturer specifies such. Any device that
shows signs of wear or abrasions should be sent back to the manufacturer for repair or
should be replaced. “Homemade” repairs are not allowed."

...the more you know...
Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a NASA logbook for my 928 Estate....the lemons racer....it is speced for GTS2....you do NOT have to run a fuel cell to race in GTS.....the rules state this

"A fuel cell is not required, except as specified by class rules. It is recommended for all
NASA classes, unless specifically listed otherwise. All vehicles having a fuel cell MUST
comply with the rules in this section, even if a fuel cell is not required."
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I have a NASA logbook for my 928 Estate....the lemons racer....it is speced for GTS2....you do NOT have to run a fuel cell to race in GTS.....the rules state this

"A fuel cell is not required, except as specified by class rules. It is recommended for all
NASA classes, unless specifically listed otherwise. All vehicles having a fuel cell MUST
^^^^Exactly right, you either need the FACTORY tank in it's original location or a certified and current fuel cell, no other options available...
Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by IcemanG17

Yes, that has already been covered. Look at post #3 in this thread.

Scott
Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

So, because i have a stock tank, very much like the GT3cup car style of the early 2000s, it should be ok, because it is stock and not modified, right?

you may have got the impression that i had a fuel cell, but i was able to run most all series without one.

Is it "FIA FT3 (or higher) certified"?

Scott

Scott

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark kibort
So, because i have a stock tank, very much like the GT3cup car style of the early 2000s, it should be ok, because it is stock and not modified, right?

you may have got the impression that i had a fuel cell, but i was able to run most all series without one.
Is it a stock 928 tank? Where did it come from? Who made it? If it is not a stock 928 tank, it needs to be "FIA FT3 (or higher) certified".

Scott
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Mark,

If you have a stock 928 factory tank in its original location you are good to go. Anything else would mean you would have to have a certified fuel cell. I thought you had a cell of some sort...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
^^^^Exactly right, you either need the FACTORY tank in it's original location or a certified and current fuel cell, no other options available...
thanks. thats what i was hoping for.

Mark, per NASA on fuel cells Scott is correct (page 54 of the NASA rulebook):

"15.4 Fuel Cell / Tank
As of January 1, 2009 no new logbooks will be issued for vehicles with a fuel cell, unless
the fuel cell is FIA FT3 (or higher) certified. As of January 1, 2012 all fuel cells must be
FIA FT3 (or higher) certified, regardless of the date of purchase or date of the logbook
issuance."

and:

"15.4.2 Rotary-molded cells
Rotary-molded cells are not allowed unless the bladder meets the current FIA FT3
specifications and carries the current FIA FT3 standard certification mark, label, or
stamp. Most or all JAZ and RCI brand cells are examples of rotary-molded cells that do
not carry such ratings. [Notes: A good fuel cell is made by companies such as ATL or
Fuel Safe (other than their entry level models), and should cost $550 or more. Beware
of inexpensive “SCCA APPROVED” cells. While SCCA is a fine organization, the stamp
of approval found on some safety items may pertain to other forms of racing, and may
not be consistent with these rules. Consult an expert before purchase."

and (not to flog a dead horse but it is important) from appendix D:

"29.1 Head and Neck Restraint Systems
29.1.1 General
There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here:
http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1. If the device is not on this list it will not
fulfill the use mandate. As of April 1, 2012 all devices that have and SFI certification and
are more than five (5) years old should be sent back to the manufacturer for rectification
per SFI 38.1 specifications. Those devices that have an FIA certification, whether they
also have an SFI certification or not, are not required to be recertified.
29.1.2 Installation and Replacement
Any systems used must be installed and used according to the manufacturer’s
directions. The driver is ultimately responsible for the proper installation and use of
these devices. It should be noted that “webbing based” systems should be replaced at
least every three years or sooner if the manufacturer specifies such. Any device that
shows signs of wear or abrasions should be sent back to the manufacturer for repair or
should be replaced. “Homemade” repairs are not allowed."

...the more you know...
also good information. Missed the part about recert, unless FIA certified to begin with. I think the HANS is FIA certified. Ill have to check that picture on the "other" thread.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Is it a stock 928 tank? Where did it come from? Who made it? If it is not a stock 928 tank, it needs to be "FIA FT3 (or higher) certified".

Scott
you see, this is the problem with the list and communicating via text. (misinterpretations, typos, etc) I could go off on you for not understanding how simple my answer or statment was, but giving you the benifit of the doubt, as i try to do, i think you are smart guy and somehow got the impression that i have a replaced tank or something "928" classified as a peformance tank. so thanks for being polite with your persistant question as well.

No, I have a stock 928 in the stock location. no mods to it at all , and it is in a location that also supports other racing organazations for safety in that the tank is plastic , colapsible, and proteced by a bulkhead from the passenger compart and the rear of the car. some organizations , like SCCA pro WCGT /touring, would accept this in lue of the fuel cell requirement, as the cup cars had this for a long time. (that comment is where the confusion came from i would imagine)

Mark,

If you have a stock 928 factory tank in its original location you are good to go. Anything else would mean you would have to have a certified fuel cell. I thought you had a cell of some sort...
gotchah. sorry to give that impression. yes, stock tank, no mods. looks very safe to me as far as location and protection.

Quick Reply: NASA - PRC - GTS- x rules NORCAL - question