Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS device 2005 model modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, I know that I am not the only person to tell you your adjusters are too high. Where they are now, they are trying to move out as well as down, which is making them bind up against the HANS. If you lower them, you will find the belts wrap around the HANS better, and will also allow you to cinch the belts down more.

LIke I said, I have been using the same setup as you (old HANS and 3" belts), but with a taller seat. Been there, done that. I let out the belts a little bit when I got the HANS, and that cured all ills. Trust me, there's no investment, just give it a try. And the sliding tethers will be the best $40 (off of memory) you'll spend.

Trust me, I am trying to help.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
I really think you need to seek professional help.
THIS.

It took TWO threads started by Mark on the exact same subject for someone to REALLY get to the truth.

BTW, Mark, that sticker has to be counterfeit. My HANS, manufactured in March of 2005, has the winglets.

And still using a seat that was involved in a MAJOR crash, that broke your ribs, is retarded. To be clear, this is not a personal insult. I am not saying YOU are. I am saying your behavior and incredible intransigence is.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark

You make several references to friction. Friction means nothing in this context. Crash forces are orders of magnitude higher than any resistance from friction. Its the fit that is not correct, maybe due to where the adjustors are, maybe due to the layback. This is also made worse by the wire, as its rerouting of the belts only creates slack that will be let out as it deforms under load.

You stated in the other thread that you are getting a new seat. Why are you still trying to make the one you have work at all? It is manifestly unsafe, and you seem to be the only one in all of Rennlist that thinks it's even remotely OK to use in anything but a video game simulator. Before you do anything else, start with a proper seat.

I'm a die hard budget racer, but God help you if you "save" money by reusing that seat.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
BTW, Mark, that sticker has to be counterfeit. My HANS, manufactured in March of 2005, has the winglets.
August, 2005 on this one:

Maybe there was some transition period or something.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=mark kibort;9369577]

So, based on somones suggesting "D" rings, i used an old kitchen drain keeper ring, that is 3" diameter to hold the belts together , just before they go into the seat openings. this is feeling like it will work
--------------------
Good lord, Mark- and you think the Hans is poorly engineered?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 AM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King

July 2005 on this one - Hans Pro
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Mark, I know that I am not the only person to tell you your adjusters are too high. Where they are now, they are trying to move out as well as down, which is making them bind up against the HANS. If you lower them, you will find the belts wrap around the HANS better, and will also allow you to cinch the belts down more.

LIke I said, I have been using the same setup as you (old HANS and 3" belts), but with a taller seat. Been there, done that. I let out the belts a little bit when I got the HANS, and that cured all ills. Trust me, there's no investment, just give it a try. And the sliding tethers will be the best $40 (off of memory) you'll spend.

Trust me, I am trying to help.
Thanks, and you are right! i loosened them just a bit and it seemed to help, howeveer this has made the most amount of diff so far, besides pinching the belts from the rearto make them more narrow than the 3" spec, as well as the spec for the adjsuters is at the tails of the HANS, which they were. So, the things we are doing to make it better, are not in the HANS guides or the FIA manual. Goes to show why these types of dicussions are valuable.

Of course VR dave thinks the entire world is against us, so the conspiracy theory creates the best drama and gives him the platform he needs for self promotions! dont worry, your picture is a fake too, as well as my friends that is a 2005 also , and just like mine.... no wings , and bought new.... oh yeah , he is lying too!

[quote=RickBetterley;9370675]
Originally Posted by mark kibort

So, based on somones suggesting "D" rings, i used an old kitchen drain keeper ring, that is 3" diameter to hold the belts together , just before they go into the seat openings. this is feeling like it will work
--------------------
Good lord, Mark- and you think the Hans is poorly engineered?
Yes, there is nothng wrong with a steel ring, 3" diamter that does exactly what i wanted it to do. pinch the belt, without causing a stress point to keep the belts on the HANS runner legs. Yes, the HANS is poorly designed . if it wasnt, my use with FIA belts, Sea, and proper mountint with a new helmet wouldnt be so problematic. so far we have seen a need for wings, to fix the "Poor design of the original", D rings to keep the belt in place for the poor design, and adjuster height levels, as the FIA spec and HANS manual say at the ends of the HANS legs, is where the adjusters should go. really , its a tad lower.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
July 2005 on this one - Hans Pro
Again, contrary to the contrarian, you are right. the All knowing VR is usually wrong, but will never admit to it. He feels so much better blurting out "conspiracy theory" when his knowlege on the subject doesnt carry enough weight to back up his insults.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your helmet and HANS over to a buddy's garage and sit in their car with it. See what the difference is. Then have your buddy sit in his own seat with your HANS and see if he notices any difference.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
THIS.

It took TWO threads started by Mark on the exact same subject for someone to REALLY get to the truth.

And still using a seat that was involved in a MAJOR crash, that broke your ribs, is retarded. To be clear, this is not a personal insult. I am not saying YOU are. I am saying your behavior and incredible intransigence is.
well, lets just say that you staying true to form Dave. your limited information, is not dictating something that "Has to be" true. No, its not counterfeit. you are wrong there , as a few have proved you wrong has shown. Now, the major crash damaging the seat , its debatable. it doesnt take much to damage ribs in a crash. the side barriers are fairly weak in the fiberglass seat, meaning that they are not very rigid. having spent a lot of time around fibergalss and the construction of skis, polevaulting poles, etc, there are some tell tail test so see if something fiberglass has been damaged or not. most of side containment is in the belts anyway, but certainly the bucket effect of the seat is functionally nessesary. Sure, the seat needs to be replaced, not so much for the accident, because its driving position is just a little less than optimal for me. there are plenty of other things that we as drivers trust on our cars that need to be replaced that we dont. I try and make sure the major things are always strong enough to protect me while racing.

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Mark

You make several references to friction. Friction means nothing in this context. Crash forces are orders of magnitude higher than any resistance from friction. Its the fit that is not correct, maybe due to where the adjustors are, maybe due to the layback. This is also made worse by the wire, as its rerouting of the belts only creates slack that will be let out as it deforms under load.

I'm a die hard budget racer, but God help you if you "save" money by reusing that seat.
I get what you are saying, but its hard to put in words without seeing it in person. sure , its not a friction fit, but the friction allows or disallows a postion change, if that makes sense. Ill strap myself in my buddies M3 racer and see if the situation changes by the much newer seat design.

as far as the ring, it doesnt create slack as it has very litle spring pressure to creat slack agains thte synching up of the belts. it deforms to allow the belts to be at full tension. i guess i could use a rubberband to do this function, the net result would be the same. just trying to deal with a design flaw that HANS had with the device before the wings. ive heard that this is a common method. ribber band or some kind of ring .

Thanks for the input. Ill have a low key race that Ill run before i get the new seat for this season.
the HANS is pretty interesting technology, certainly a lot more convenient than my old 2001 hutchens device that looked like something out of a parachute kit. it was such a hassle i wore it way less than half the time. I think the HANS is a good regulation, since in a crash, all the saftey stuff in the world , prior, would do nothing to keep you head attached to your shoulders. almost better to fly rhough the windsheild than have the body strapped in and your head only held on by some skin, muscle , tendon and cartilage.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Yes, the HANS is poorly designed . if it wasnt, my use with FIA belts, Sea, and proper mountint with a new helmet wouldnt be so problematic. so far we have seen a need for wings, to fix the "Poor design of the original", D rings to keep the belt in place for the poor design, and adjuster height levels, as the FIA spec and HANS manual say at the ends of the HANS legs, is where the adjusters should go. really , its a tad lower.
Cue the face palm pic one more time....

Scott
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Take your helmet and HANS over to a buddy's garage and sit in their car with it. See what the difference is. Then have your buddy sit in his own seat with your HANS and see if he notices any difference.
he has the wingless HANS, so the seat design will be the difference. im cuious if i will have that same sliding feeling with his seat. probably not. its very upright and its full containment.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Cue the face palm pic one more time....

Scott
Im going to start calling you " value adder". unreal. do you really have to post just to let us know you are out there?

See you out here at Sears Scotty!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

See you out here at Sears Scotty!
I really hope not.....why do we have to be punished with your presence out here in Northern California?

Scott
Old 03-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, the fixes to your problem are in this thread. Go look at the setup guides on www.hansdevice.com. You don't have the belts setup right is probably the lowest hanging fruit. You didn't bother addressing my point about that earlier but it will help you actually tighten the belts.

As for the HANS device you have, it was made before 2005. The early devices were pre SFI stickers and a number of people sent them back to get the sticker so they could run with organizations that have required an SFI sticker, not just an SFI device. I've seen a number like that and it's a red herring in the situation. The wings aren't going to change anything regarding the problems you are having.

Or you could just get a Hybrid Device and not deal with the problems you are having.

Quick Reply: HANS device 2005 model modification