Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone has experience with the Goodyear Eagle RS dot radial?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone has experience with the Goodyear Eagle RS dot radial?

Anyone has experience with the Goodyear Eagle RS dot radial?

If so, how is it compared with the Hoosier?

944 Cup now has sponsorship with Goodyear, so before switching from Hoosiers, I'd lke to have more info on the tire.

Thanks

c.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a set sitting, ready to be mounted. I'd be interested in hearing reports as well - including operating temps and pressures (especially for a GT3).

-td
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I have a set sitting, ready to be mounted. I'd be interested in hearing reports as well - including operating temps and pressures (especially for a GT3).

-td

Or better yet, driving and reporting back yourself. I would imagine a lot of people will try to jump to this tire with the Hoosier contingency being reduced.

However until it proves it can beat the A6, it will still be underutilized.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And does anyone know where pricing can be found?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pricing can be found here:

http://www.philsracetires.com/prices...orts%20Car.htm

I'm disappointed in the contingency, as it requires 7 entries in class, we never get that in 944SuperCup.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Or better yet, driving and reporting back yourself. I would imagine a lot of people will try to jump to this tire with the Hoosier contingency being reduced.

However until it proves it can beat the A6, it will still be underutilized.
Roger. That was my plan. But, I have a set of R6s and R100s already mounted that I need to go through first. If I only had a third set of track wheels...

-td
Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by gums
I'm disappointed in the contingency, as it requires 7 entries in class, we never get that in 944SuperCup.
There are 8 currently signed up at Road Atlanta. At least as SP3. I need to send Dave a note and ask about what one needs to do beyond just signing up to race as SP3.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pricing can be found here:

http://www.philsracetires.com/prices...orts%20Car.htm

Buy a 944Cup and you'll save in tire cost too!

c.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
I need to ask about what one needs to do beyond just signing up to race as SP3.
Here's what you need to know:

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pd..._FORM_NASA.pdf
Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
67King
Race Car

I was really thinking beyond just the tire contingency. I appreciate that info, it is useful, but I was thinking more organizationally. Is this year going to be run exclusively with PCA like last year?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

The schedules are posted, it depends upon what region you're running in. For us guys up here, North Chapter (which is now comprised of NE and Mid-Atl), there are 4 PCA events, 2 with EMRA, and the Nationals by SCCA (for all).
If you're SE, King, which I assume you are because that is now SunCoast and SE combined, then you have 3 events with PCA, 2 with PBOC and the SCCA National. Of course, 2 of the PCA events are already in the books.
I hope you can make it up to beautiful NJ for the Nationals at season end, it's always a great event.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I ran these at WGI at last years club race. Rears at 275-18 are almost as wide as 295 Hoosier. We ran the same tire pressures as Hoosier and also at Sebring during test day. I experienced times which were a couple tenths (2-4/10ths) faster then Hoosier. Tire wear are about the same. They are predictable and provide enough warning (at least on my car) at the limit. There is some video on Utube from last years WGI if you care to see, search "chascayman".
thanks
Charlie
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey,

Thanks for the valuable info Charlie.

All the comments I found on many forums were positive. The only negative one I found was this one:

The only caution I would put out there about the goodyear is that it soaks up alot of HP because it is such a grippy tire. When it first came back on the market 4 or 5 years ago, we were running the 13 hr at VIR. They had an open tire rule for SM so we thought great, will run it. We buy 3 sets. We get there and all three drivers were 3 seconds slower a lap. According to the data it was not corner speed. We had been there the 3 previous years. Something must be wrong with the car we think. We figure, what the heck, lets see how we do on the RA1's. We pick up those 3 seconds. All in straightaway speed. The data doesn't lie. The car had 0 toe. It cornered fantastic. Just didn't have the power in a straight line. So for an under developed car, I'd say do not use then. For a front row car, go for it.

What you guys think?

c.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
67King
Race Car

FWIW, Bob Woodman sells them, too. I currently run 245/35R18's on the front and 285/30R18's on the rear. Fronts are good. Rears, I have to choose between a 275/35R18 or a 295/30R18. The 295 has the more favorable rolling diameter, though I would prefer to stick with the size I know. Concerned about the impact on spring rate, too. Minor, but if I were to try them out or go back and forth, it may become less minor. Assuming 295's, a set is about $50 cheaper than Hoosiers.

Frank, I'd be at the Glen in June, but my cousin (ironically, Glenn) is getting married that weekend. VIR would be another event, but my wife and I had been planning on a cruise for over a year, and that was our only option. Mid Ohio in August, but that does not appear to be a Cup event. Not sure what else I'll be doing. Cant' swing the second Sebring event, unfortunately.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Hey,

Thanks for the valuable info Charlie.

All the comments I found on many forums were positive. The only negative one I found was this one:

The only caution I would put out there about the goodyear is that it soaks up alot of HP because it is such a grippy tire. When it first came back on the market 4 or 5 years ago, we were running the 13 hr at VIR. They had an open tire rule for SM so we thought great, will run it. We buy 3 sets. We get there and all three drivers were 3 seconds slower a lap. According to the data it was not corner speed. We had been there the 3 previous years. Something must be wrong with the car we think. We figure, what the heck, lets see how we do on the RA1's. We pick up those 3 seconds. All in straightaway speed. The data doesn't lie. The car had 0 toe. It cornered fantastic. Just didn't have the power in a straight line. So for an under developed car, I'd say do not use then. For a front row car, go for it.

What you guys think?

c.
Charles, I have not experienced any loss of HP, my speeds on the back straight at the Glen were similar to those speeds while running Hoosier.

Quick Reply: Anyone has experience with the Goodyear Eagle RS dot radial?