Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone has experience with the Goodyear Eagle RS dot radial?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chas911
Charles, I have not experienced any loss of HP, my speeds on the back straight at the Glen were similar to those speeds while running Hoosier.
But your car is more powerful than mine... Maybe it only applies to low HP cars. And maybe that the rolling resistance has been issued.

Thanks

c.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
There are 8 currently signed up at Road Atlanta. At least as SP3. I need to send Dave a note and ask about what one needs to do beyond just signing up to race as SP3.
Goodyear Racing is on for 2012 with a tire contingency program effective immediately.

Goodyear is giving us 2 tires to give away for each of 2 races each weekend, for each class. Will need to run normal Goodyear decals which they provide upon registering with them, plus a Goodyear windshield decal ( center top), which Cup will provide trackside.

We need to have 10 cars for each race to qualify for the giveaway. A tire will be awarded to the 1st and 5th place cars each designated race. All Chapters are included, and all weekends included.

The Goodyear tire available to us is the Eagle® RS: http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/sports.html . Goodyear will also make available a DOT rain tire.

Each driver wanting to particpate in the program will need to register with Goodyear, who will be providing us with a registration form shortly, which we will make available here.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
The link provided here is not applicable as the 944 Cup does not run any events with NASA.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Cup

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/sports.html . Goodyear will also make available a DOT rain tire.
Nice!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Wonder if that guy wasn't running different O.D. that gave up some speed on the straight? Can't think that I've ever heard of loosing top end due to sticky rubber??
Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we ran the goodyears last yea ron our F class boxster. at first blush mny feeling was that they should have been faster than the hoosiers. unmounted or mounted, stacked on their sides, one on top of the next, the 2 rears were like 2 1/2 inches taller (ie wider) than the hoosiers, the fronts like 1.5 inches. basically, between the 4, you were getting about 4 to 5 inches more of 'rubber'.

but ultimately, i didnt think the wear or grip were as good as the hoosiers. first lap on hoosiers is usually ok, 2nd lap better, 3rd is usually the magic qualifier lap where you feel like you can ask so much more of the car, then about lap 6 they settle in, down a bit from 3, but hold there for a while.

the goodyears were more linear, no magic laps, but then you didnt feel any fade either. but overall, running back to back tests within the same 30minute window, they were just a smidge slower like ' a few tenths', which again, might be nothing, or coul dbe something.
i also felt that the straighter sidewall wouldnt roll as nicely through turns.
hard to explain an dmaybe im not using the right verbiage but i fyou looked at the hoosier, the edges there it goes from base tread to sidewall was rounded a bit...the goodyear was more square. thus i felt as you rolled into or out of a turn, maybe that made the transition a tad less smooth.
but not sure if i actually felt that as much as just believed it based on the visual differences.
overall, i say "nice, a good option if hoosiers are nt ever available, but if available, why?"
Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Thx for the info guys.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spg993tt
.....overall, i say "nice, a good option if hoosiers are nt ever available, but if available, why?"

The chance to win some free tires.

And, maybe the Goodyears work better for a particular car and/or driver than other options, as anecdotal info reported here may not be universally applicable considering the small sample size and variables involved.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

mmmh, free tires

Seriously, I think I'll give them a try. From what I've read, they are more or less the same as Hoosiers in terms of speed and grip. What I think I will like is the linearity and the lack of fade. The only grip I may have is the "sidewall roll" as stated by SPG. Hoosiers are great for that, I can slide the car quite easily in high speed turns, like 4 and 8 at Mosport.

Thnaks for the valuable info SPG.

c.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:17 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates? I'm considering them but didn't see anything other than 225x45x15 listed in the Goodyear lit. Concerned my HP challenged 924S will be slower at Road ATL with the shorter tire.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisc
Any updates? I'm considering them but didn't see anything other than 225x45x15 listed in the Goodyear lit. Concerned my HP challenged 924S will be slower at Road ATL with the shorter tire.
Some results on the Goodyear RS from a 944 Cup race at Mosport last weekend.

Randy Smith won the first race at Mosport on the A compound 275 on the rear and the 225 R compound on the front. However, the A compund tire didnt last past 25 laps. The next day he won the second race on the 225 R compund on the rear and front with better wear results and about a .5 second best lap time than the day before and the fastest lap in class. On the same set up, he took second in the 3rd race with a best lap within a .1 of a second of Saturdays time.

Off of this small sample set, clear that the A compund is not a good choice for the 944 cars even in a 30 minute race because of longevity issues. On the other hand, the R compund has shown it will stay with the Hoosiers and can win races in a very competitive conditions as the Canadians are often some of the fastest in the series. Unanswered yet will be the longevity of the R compound over a few weekends.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Call Ernie at Mantis. Performance data showed they (R compound not the A version) were relatively the same; they need different camber settings than the Hoosiers. They were a serious pain to get.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisc
So far this year in 5 races on the Goodyears, Randy Smith who races in the 944 Cup and SP2, has 5 podiums, 2 of which are wins. All these races are in large class fields of 15 to 25 cars.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Also, another 944 Cup and SP2 driver, Steve Randolph, has taken the checker 4 races this year with Goodyears and has scored 4 podium finishes including one win. Once again in large fields in class with between 10 to 25 cars.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

To provide more info to the question of whether Goodyears can be competitive with Hoosiers, the top two finishers at Nationals in the 944 Cup class were on Gooodyears. And thats against a field about 15 cars with Hoosiers.

Plus the Regional Champs in the Canada and North Chapters of the 944 Cup ran Goodyears all year long.

Quick Reply: Anyone has experience with the Goodyear Eagle RS dot radial?