Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts
Default AiM Data Sessions are AMAZING!

North Country Region had Roger Caddell from AiM come in for two data seminars this weekend. All I can say is WOW! Not only does Roger know his stuff, but he presents it in a way that everyone can understand. We had everything from the most newbie to some people with professional race experience and lots of Motec usage - everyone left satisfied.

We did an "advanced" day on Sunday and it was great. I learned a ton about not only RS2, but in what new ways to use data, interesting applications, and some tuning (chassis and motor) tricks. RS2 is really powerful and in combination with AiM loggers, probably offers one of the best values in all of data acquisition.

If there is one of these seminars in your area, make sure you get to it.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested in getting more from my data. But not without knowing how to use it as it's all gibberish if you don't know what you are looking at.

Anyone know if PCA region will have one of these at a DE?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sorry I missed this Matt. The AiM program is impressive!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default RLC Pro X Data Logger...got one?

I have one bring installed in my car. Damn I hope the software is learnable by this ole dog.

I had them add a brake pressure sensor, and a throttle position sensor for specific metrics.

Anyone use one of these? I have done a search.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree, the session was amazing. The only downside is now I want the MXL Pista so I can record analog data. The modern cars certainly have an upside with ECUs, but my 76 is bare, so analog is the only way I can go.

The software, although clunky, has a lot of power available. I also hope a Mac version is forthcoming.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have one bring installed in my car. Damn I hope the software is learnable by this ole dog.

I had them add a brake pressure sensor, and a throttle position sensor for specific metrics.

Anyone use one of these? I have done a search.
I don't know anyone with a RLC system. To be perfectly honest, I've heard of anyone with one. I've only seen the adds in the back of Sportscar.

Originally Posted by nshanny
I have to agree, the session was amazing. The only downside is now I want the MXL Pista so I can record analog data. The modern cars certainly have an upside with ECUs, but my 76 is bare, so analog is the only way I can go.

The software, although clunky, has a lot of power available. I also hope a Mac version is forthcoming.
The desire for a MXL Pista is strong for us both! On Sunday he showed us some of the shock historgram functions built into RS2. Holy Cow!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'm interested in getting more from my data. But not without knowing how to use it as it's all gibberish if you don't know what you are looking at.

Anyone know if PCA region will have one of these at a DE?
We'll be having one at VIR soon. Working on the date. If we can get enough people at RA I can get one set up down there too.

Roger is great. His talk while using AIM software can be applied to any system. I'd pay to show up to his stuff any day.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Analog only?

Not so true anymore. The RLC and other units have 3 axis accelerometers. In addition, they have X number of analog and digital input (depends on the bland). You could hook up a brake pressure sensor and a throttle position sensor into you unit...almost regardless of brand, and you'd have metrics on these and other parameters.

If you want to improve in your driving, you need measurable feedback. Dataloggers seem to be the best way. They wont BS you........
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,064 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
On Sunday he showed us some of the shock historgram functions built into RS2. Holy Cow!
That is sweet! The ONLY way to tune objectively...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
The RLC and other units have 3 axis accelerometers.

If you want to improve in your driving, you need measurable feedback. Dataloggers seem to be the best way. They wont BS you........
This is true. The AiM Solo ($399), Solo DL ($699) and Traqmate ($699, $999, $1499) ALL have three-axis accelerometers. The vertical axis is particularly useful in calculating corrected grip on ovals...

The AiM MXL Pista, of which I've sold plenty, has only a lateral accelerometer. Fortunately, you can obtain GPS calculated long g, if you have a SmartyCam or a GPS-05 hooked up to the Pista or Pro. I add an actual long g sensor to some MXL Pista and Pro installs that I do because it's very valuable to me.

I don't find a need to use a brake pressure sensor or even a TPS (throttle position) on most installs as the longitudinal accelerometer on the Solo and Traqmate are perfectly adequate for gauging the level and timing of throttle and brake commitment (or lack thereof ).

Dataloggers WITH Video are particularly well suited in providing performance metrics that are unassailable.

I thought you might have bought from Ellen and David Ferguson of Veracity Data. If so, they're your best local resource.

Due to an unavoidable conflict as well as several folks who were going to attend but are running the 24-Hour ChumpCar race at the same place on our scheduled date instead, Roger and I are looking for an alternate date for our originally scheduled seminar at VIR on March 31st. We'll announce one soon.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

K
Originally Posted by Lolaman
This is true. The AiM Solo ($399), Solo DL ($699) and Traqmate ($699, $999, $1499) ALL have three-axis accelerometers. The vertical axis is particularly useful in calculating corrected grip on ovalsn.

Peter,

Can you explain this? So if on an oval I have 1 g tires my solo reads 1g I am at theoretical limit?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You can add a math channel to get the correct G load on the banking or you can use the GPS to calculate the lateral G and it will always be correct.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

The seminars sound great - did anyone video or something? Bit hard to make it as my car only has one wing although there maybe web fora coming up. Keen to pick up some of the tricks now that I finally got the dashware/solo data synch right ... But it's not easy vs the smarty cam that's for sure.

Also I had this related question if any have time ..... https://rennlist.com/forums/9446331-post28.html

Ps - yes Matt I'm back on your site reading

Last edited by HiWind; 04-15-2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Add
Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sensors vs. Long G

Peter

I am currious to how Long G (GPS calculated at 10 Hz) can be as valuable as analog brake and throttle sensors if you have a Pista dash. I put brake pressure and throttle sensors on all cars that don't have CAN data. I find accurate throttle and brake traces to be essential. Maybe I'm missing something. I've attached a comparison from data I have comparing brake pressure, throttle and the Long G. I feel that the slope of coming off throttle, going to max brake pressure and trailing off are very critical. The Long G is a much more gradual, more of an average of things happening. Yes, I've used Long G with SOLO, but with a Pista, I'm going with sensors.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Jerry, I've actually added external long sensors to a few MXL installs for just this reason, but I feel long g from a sensor is more critical than brake pressure because it's a cumulative measure of brake pad cF, tire grip and the actual measure of stopping.

Adding the brake pressure and reconciling it to the long g from a sensor helps me see brake pad cF increase with temperature, too. The long g sensor is very valuable to me, as a matter of fact it is essential, but I don't care for the GPS LongG unless that's all I have.

Looks like you've got the smoothing cranked up there!

Quick Reply: AiM Data Sessions are AMAZING!