Sponsored by:

AiM Data Sessions are AMAZING!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 AM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiWind
The seminars sound great - did anyone video or something? Bit hard to make it as my car only has one wing although there maybe web fora coming up. Keen to pick up some of the tricks now that I finally got the dashware/solo data synch right ... But it's not easy vs the smarty cam that's for sure.
I would also love to get a chance to see one of these sessions but there is probably very little chance of Roger making a trip to my neck of the woods...

That being said, I have access to a "virtual classroom" setup that I could use to stream and record one of his sessions.

All he would have to do it to deliver his presentation while sharing his ppt using a web tool. Voice can be captured simply by using a regular speaker phone... If he has a webcam, I can get that too...

(see http://www.webex.com for more info).

If anyone knows him well enough to ask, I could probably set this up so everyone on rennlist can watch his session...

Regards,

T.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aim I'm sure is nice. I saw a buddy looking at data on race keeper and it looked great as well.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,064 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Aim I'm sure is nice. I saw a buddy looking at data on race keeper and it looked great as well.
Information is power!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sensors vs Long G again

Peter

Thanks for your comments. I decided to look at Long G from Motec using an accelerometer. I can totally see what you are talking about now. The GPS Long G does not come close to a real accelerometer. I still prefer sensors, but this does give me something that I was not using. Thanks

Below is a similar graph, but different car from the prior chart I posted
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
I decided to look at Long G from Motec using an accelerometer. I can totally see what you are talking about now.

Below is a similar graph, but different car from the prior chart I posted
Jerry, THANKS for posting that! Look at the great correlation, (almost a mirror image!?!?!) between brake pressure and Long G (accelerometer derived)! Look at THAT, Matt!

You can see why I like it as an accurate measure of even what the driver input on the pedal is, in lieu of and in addition to the pressure sensor, if the car is so equipped.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Jerry, THANKS for posting that! Look at the great correlation, (almost a mirror image!?!?!) between brake pressure and Long G (accelerometer derived)! Look at THAT, Matt!

You can see why I like it as an accurate measure of even what the driver input on the pedal is, in lieu of and in addition to the pressure sensor, if the car is so equipped.
Wait! What did I do? I only have a Solo, so I use Long G all the time.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile I am going to be using...

the RLC Racing unit this weekend. Have a brake pressure sensor and will use it for the first time this weekend. Have brake pressure sensor installed, will use the accelerometer for acceleration. I will install a string potentiometer for the throttle one of these days.

I have a lot to learn...just firing up the unit for the first time at the track. Really excited about taking this leap, long overdue.

I have oil temp and pressure lights wired in as well, mid-range warnings and full dash light up in Red in case of a dangerous oil temp or pressure condition.

RLCRacing.com is right in my home town, Paso Robles, CA. They make their products right here in the good ole USA.

Off topic, just bought some running shoes, New Balance. The shoe is labeled "Hand Made in the USA" I like this!!!! This balances out the equation for the Red Wing work boots I bought the other day, Made in China. The USA boots didn't fit as well...both priced about the same, so I have addressed the trade in-balance problem, in my own little way.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Wait! What did I do? I only have a Solo, so I use Long G all the time.
You and I were trying to make the case for using LongG as an effective, accurate substitute for brake pressure sensors a while ago on another thread.

I was pointing out to you (Look at THAT, Matt!) that our premise has been substantiated with Jerry's screen capture of nearly identical tracings (and timing of the attack and release of those forces) in the overlap of BP and LongG (accelerometer derived) graphs. It's GREAT!

What this means is your use of LongG (acc) in the Solo is a usable and highly accurate assessment not only of stopping force, but the way that stopping force is achieved, directly from the movement, timing and force of the brake pedal actuation.

This reaffirms what we both said, which is that LongG is suitable for objective assessment without the need for the BPS. The BPS is nice, but not mandatory.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
They make their products right here in the good ole USA.

...so I have addressed the trade in-balance problem, in my own little way.
Hah! Traqmate is made here in Atlanta, AiM is mostly made in italy. My share of equalizing trade balance payment is through the roof!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
You and I were trying to make the case for using LongG as an effective, accurate substitute for brake pressure sensors a while ago on another thread.

I was pointing out to you (Look at THAT, Matt!) that our premise has been substantiated with Jerry's screen capture of nearly identical tracings (and timing of the attack and release of those forces) in the overlap of BP and LongG (accelerometer derived) graphs. It's GREAT!

What this means is your use of LongG (acc) in the Solo is a usable and highly accurate assessment not only of stopping force, but the way that stopping force is achieved, directly from the movement, timing and force of the brake pedal actuation.

This reaffirms what we both said, which is that LongG is suitable for objective assessment without the need for the BPS. The BPS is nice, but not mandatory.
Gotcha. I had already decided it was good enough since it's all I have! It is good to see how well it correleates though and to know that it is a good measure.

My first day back on track this year is in a week and a half. I'm very excited to get into some new data again. I have big plans for improving my driving this year.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

GLWT(imes)!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

It is important to clarify that the built in accelerometer is far more accurate than the GPS derived Long G. So, for people using SOLO or DL, you need to calibrate the internal accelerometer and pick that when looking at the data. I've also noticed that The Long G is really mis-marked (at least in the early units, not sure if it has been fixed), so verify that too.

I set up an EVO4 and Micron 3 unit yesterday and changed my plan to install a brake pressure sensor, based on Peter's comment (I'm still using throttle sensor though). The EVO4 unit has a built in tri-axis accelerometer. If this works, as I expect it will, this is a big savings on work plus about 200 bucks in parts. Another step forward due to Rennlist forum!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Update: It appears that AIM does have the internal accelerometer labled correctly, so no worries there. You CAN calibrate the accelerometer for the SOLO in Race Studio 2. Click on device configuration and select SOLO DL. This does work for the SOLO, I just did it. For some reason, the accelerometers are at about 4 G when shipped from Italy, so you need to do the calibration.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Great news, Jerry. Agree with you on the throttle trace value. Of course, most all OBDII and CAN equipped cars have a TPS value, but few have brake pressure.

I've been auto calibrating the Solo units (both Solo and Solo DL) since the beginning because, until a friend of mine showed me the GPS derived accelerometers, I completely missed that it had them!

This is a great exchange of information!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
It is important to clarify that the built in accelerometer is far more accurate than the GPS derived Long G. So, for people using SOLO or DL, you need to calibrate the internal accelerometer and pick that when looking at the data. Another step forward due to Rennlist forum!
Yep, that's what Matt and I were talking about when Neel had been so strident that BPS was required for good stopping measurements. Matt had pointed out the accelerometer derived braking force measure and I had concurred, based on eight years of using that in lieu of brake pressure.

The fact that the VVBOX uses only GPS derived accelerometer data has made it more difficult to use that as a measure for driver development, as the AiM GPS LongG has the same issues.

All is well with the accelerometers, though.

Quick Reply: AiM Data Sessions are AMAZING!