Sponsored by:

Trailer search is over

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer search is over

I went back and forth on a trailer search recently. I had an open steel 18' and sold it. I now have a 2011 Featherlite 24' enclosed.

http://www.fthr.com/dealers/schneider/inventory/2983/

First, thanks to those whose posts I jumped in on and those who answered mine and my PM's. All very helpful.

What did I learn? A lot.

I was looking for a loaded 24 foot steel enclosed because I thought all I could afford was a steel rig but I could get it well appointed. I looked at a few nice steel rigs here in CT and one trip to a dealer in MD. All well and good but a loaded 24 foot steel trailer ends up being around 4600lb's empty.

My tow is a 2011 Tundra rated at 10,300lbs. Between the loaded trailer probably ending up at 8500lbs and the wind resistance I ended up deciding that a steel trailer was too heavy and the eventual rust issues really kiiled that line of thinking for me.

I shifted to trying to find a new or used all aluminum rig I could afford and worry about dressing up the interior later. Rick Schneider Featherlite in Hermann, MO had a leftover 2011 that was a great deal. It was such a good deal I flew there to see it (I fly free) and make sure there was no confusion. The dealership and people there are so nice, the trailer was as advertised and we did the deal in a matter of minutes. It was such a deal and good experience I called a buddy and he got one too. I have a third friend who is now looking there. We are talking his leftover 2011 stock. We are shipping both back east and still come out WAY ahead.

So besides the weight and rust issues what else did I learn?

A one piece roof is the way to go.

Wind resistance and total drag of the "box" is a big deal. There is a lot of confusing info out on this. I think a flat wall front of a trailer has to have more drag than a Vee-nose. The Featherlite does a moderate Vee and rounded corners. Whichever way you believe you can find supporting info on the net.
http://www.nosecone.com/aepull.htm
http://www.marama.org/diesel/frieght...DCAeroOvw2.pdf

I was concerned about all the glued sided trailers out there. Big rig truckers don't have glued sides. Neither does any commercial jet. I was not thrilled with the glued trailer idea. One dealer did tell me that in black they have seen issues with the heat causing glue delamination. Just an FYI. I like the riveted sides on the Featherlite. Believe what you like, to each their own.

Next issue is axles. If you get a trailer "overaxled", ie the next size up from stock, it is stronger, there is less axle stress and play, better the ride and tire wear. Schneider Featherlite sells a lot of big trailers to serious cattle ranchers, horse farms, etc. They overaxle everything and I like that. My 24' has 6k axles with 235/16 rubber on 8 bolt wheels.

Dexter axles are the best. "Easylube" hubs, depending on who you talk to, may not be more than a marketing gimmick. I am not sure on this one but to say you never have to open up and lube an easylube hub may not really be the best. My trailer has standard hubs so I will repack them once a year the proper way and be sure they are lubed correctly.

Hope this helps someone else.
Dennis
Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Defiant
Instructor

Very nice! So how much does this trailer weight? Photos of the inside?? I'm in the market now and am considering a Montrose trailer.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Dennis,
Great info. I think you've made a really smart buy, and going a little lighter is MUCH better with the Tundra. You'll be all set!
Please post pictures when you get a chance.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Pics or horse cart
Old 01-26-2012, 11:24 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm also looking at trailers.....

currently I "borrow" an open 16ft steel trailer....it pulls extremely well behind my 2010 1500 Chevy....getting remarkable mileage, typically 15mpg & up too 19mpg if I "draft" an enclosed rig...

Like the Tundra I am limited to 9700lbs...in the past I pulled a 24 foot TPD triple axle and about 8000lbs...while the driveline could pull it no issue...the suspension CAN'T...even with a weight dist hitch it dragged the tail down far too much....I also got 10mpg pulling the big box...

The Tundra is built stronger than the chevy...but be cautious of your tonque weights.....I can pull 5000lb open trailer like its not even there....but 8000lbs enclosed is a strain...mostly since the nose is SO high up.... I would require airbags to level the suspension to pull a larger enclosed trailer....or borrow my fathers 2500
Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 AM
CT03911
Banned

To answer some questions the trailer weighs 3600lbs. As noted in the link to the dealer, it has an extra 6" height to seven foot, overaxled and a full aluminum floor. They make two models and one has a wood floor. That IS this model but the dealer found ordering this model and adding the full aluminum floor, big axles and height is cheaper that the other model that way.

I do not have it at home yet. They are working up a quote for shipping mine and a buddies 20' open together on one flatbed hauler. If that should not be to our liking I drive 1100 miles next week to get it.

When I get it home I willl take pics. It was pouring when I got there (of course) and so the few shots I took are no better than those on the web site. I will also weigh it myself and begin to look at where to load my car for balance.

Featherlites owners manual says 10-15% tongue weight for this model. I will be around 7000lb loaded for now so I'll place the car and gear so that I have about 875 (12.5%)tounge weight and go from there. That isn't much really for a Tundra. Four guys standing on my bumper type picture.

It is true that it only weighs something like six to maybe eight hundred pounds less than an exactly equipped steel trailer and costs a lot more. It is made to a very high standard and will never rust and although I did not start out seeing myself in this, I am glad it worked out.

For what it's worth, I gave the nearest three Featherlite dealers to me a heads up I was looking at this after shopping their businesses first (steel and aluminum). They didn't have what I wanted and I only found two new 2011 leftovers anywhere within a sane driving distance and at a price I could consider. I feel as though a good amount of luck led to this outcome and timing. Buying a trailer in the off season seems to pay dividends, even if the leftover pickings are few.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:23 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WAHOO Dennis, hog heaven!!!!

Now how much time are you spending in the PitPal dream book?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:52 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

CT0391:
As a former FL owner you will love it. Build quality is leaps and bounds better than standard steel which is what I replaced mine with (Could not stomach spending same $$$). The only reason I do not have my uber equiped FL is that two dirtbags stole it from my property.

Enjoy it will serve you well.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

An additional benefit of running the 8-bolt wheels with 235/85/16 tires is that they're interchangable with the wheels/tires on most all 1-ton DRW pickups. This can come in handy when you need a second spare out in the middle of hell. Downide is you're a little higher off the ground making loading super low cars more problematic. Get some long ramps.....
Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I tow with a 2011 tundra crew 4x4 TRD. I tow a similar trailer, 22' all aluminum high box, 3600 empty 9800 gvwr 7500-8000 loaded with the cup and gear. The tundra is a great truck, plenty of power, but it needs a few things to tow. The TRD package comes with 10 ply tires which is a must for towing, added a prodigy brake controller, firestone air bags and the rear TRD sway bar. Lastly a WD hitch with sway control is a must! I run a Hensley, had a reese but went the extra step after a tow through a desert monsoon to chuckwalla got white knuckled... Gas mileage sucks, most towing applications do but the size of the tank is painfully small, 26 gal at 8 mpg... Ug been thinking of the aftermarket 54 gal tank...
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice one! You'll really enjoy it. Glad you found a good deal. Sure is nice to be able to fly out and take a look at it.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Enlcosed is the way to go!!!

I have stuck with the coated/painted framed steel trailers since I never really keep them more then 2-3 years before I upgrade. My 26ft V steelie weighs n at 4300 dry and it has upper and lower cabinets in the V, fully insulated, and roof air. Not to bad but with the Duramax 3500 I don't worry about weight LOL.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
CT03911
Banned

Pics of the new trailer. The shipping quote by Featherlite was way high. $1600 for an 1100mi trip from St. Louis. So, I heard that news last Tuesday afternoon and two hours later at 5pm was in my Tundra headed west.
After 18 hours I got to St. Louis where the dealer met me and saved me another 75 miles further.
I hooked up and headed east. Made it to an exit north of Columbus, OH after 1550 miles and 26hours. With 600 more to go, I gave it up and finished the next morning.
It is amazing what you can do when drinking "RockStar's", are motivated and the satellite radio is on.
Now I need to get a tongue weight empty and loaded and begin to figure out how to equip it after blowing my trailer budget completely.
Attached Images     
Old 02-05-2012, 05:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Beautiful! Money well spent!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrat's on the new purchase. Now it's time to get the interior set up.

Quick Reply: Trailer search is over