Sponsored by:

Powder Coating Durability

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:27 PM
vpmick
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coating Durability

I am thinking about having my track wheels powder coated ( probably a satin finish in Black ) and want to know about durability. My main concern is the rubbing that occurs while they are on my tire rack on my trailer. I can put something like carpet or rubber between them but I'm still concerned that the powder coat will rub off. Has anyone experienced this or have any recommendations on how to keep this from happening. Thanks for any help or advice
Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

No experience with powder coat on wheels, but in general it's much more durable than paint.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:24 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You almost have to TRY to scratch up a good powder coat. You should be fine.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Like regular paint, a lot of it will depend on the level of the prep work. Find a good shop, and you should be very pleased with the results.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My three sets of track wheels are powdercoated. As noted were durable, brake dust and rubber "will nots" wash off easily. For best results the wheels should be sand blasted. While they are at it have them blast the inner bead. Best that these don't get painted. The one set I did paint the bead on had problem with the tires rotating. Reblasted the bead, no more tire movement.

Rick
Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience was also that they were very hard (more like impossible) to clean of break dust, it seems to bake the dust in . Looked great at first but did not last. I also had issue with them always loosing air not unusable but you had a flat tire when ever you pull the wheels out. Next time I will use good old paint.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I've powdercoated 4 sets of wheels and never had a problem with brake dust, in fact I can wipe it off with any towel and no cleaning solution. Maybe some of you guys are leaving it on there too long? Mine of course were sandblasted prior to coating.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Awfull experience. I had a track set done. Its very expensive, sandlasting is essential. Personally I don't like the finish, its easy to spot powder coating over paint. The finish is not as indestrictible as it is claimed. They still crack peel, chip. scratch etc. It is much harder than paint which is good in some respects, but its hard to fix any damage. It screwed up the tire bead area on one wheel so bad it struggles to hold air. They were sandblasted prior to finish.

I have a powder coated set on my street 996 Turbo. These are a much better quality job. The finish is fairly even, but I still don't like it. I have to treat them with kid gloves, as if they ever get marked I know I am screwed. They easily stain/show marks which makes cleaning a pain.

I will never powder coat again. Painting is much cheaper, gives a better finish (IMO), easier to clean, and refinishing is much easier if they do get damaged.

My recommendation is save your time and money. Its hard to keep track wheels in perfect condition, so don't try. Powder coating won't help much in my opinion.
Attached Images  

Last edited by samluke; 11-23-2011 at 09:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
icepenguin66 (01-04-2024)
Old 11-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Going on 7 years on my powder coated wheels. No problems with peeling or brake dust. They are actually quite easy to clean up. They take a beating and stay very nice.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

This may be anecdotal but I seem to recall some threads on other forums that suggested that the heat involved in powder coating might weaken the integrity of rims. I really have no idea how true this may or may not be.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

It's about the toughest coating you can get, but prep critical, powder coating over old paint and chipping off in flakes = poor prep. You can get it in almost any color including clear, the satin black is popular for track but if it has a "tooth" it's a little harder to keep clean. Temps required go powder coating shouldn't be an issue, the coats are thick so machined surfaces, bolt holes, 2 pc parts and hub centric clearances may get tight or not fit due to the coating that can be mistaken for a warped piece...
Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vpmick
I am thinking about having my track wheels powder coated ( probably a satin finish in Black ) and want to know about durability.
No, no, no, no, no. Do not powder coat track wheels. You cannot properly see minute cracks in the metal, and regular examination is paramount to preventing wheel failure. I don't even like painted wheels, preferring clear coating or anodized, but as long as the paint coating is very thin it is acceptable. If you've even broken a wheel on the track you know what I mean abput being able to properly inspect them.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:37 PM
vpmick
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the input. Anyone have a trick to keep rubbing on trailer tire rack?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with Larry.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Larry has a very valid point on crack inspection. I think that crack detection is more of an issue with aftermarket wheels than stock ones. The stock wheels I run were factory painted so I am not changing their ability to be inspected for small cracks. These wheels are TUV approved, meaning even though they are light they are a lot tougher (read more mass / material) than aftermarket wheels. I have never seen a stock wheel fail in use unless it had help from contact with a solid object.

That said I think for the full bore serious track guys need to take wheel (and every other component) crack inspection seriously. For the dual purpose weekenders painting the wheels is not an issue.

To the question of the temperatures reached during powder coating, at 380 degs. they are below the temperatures that are critical to cast wheels. Not by a lot as things start to become unsettled starting at 475 degs.

Quick Reply: Powder Coating Durability