Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would it be crazy for a novice to get a dedicated track car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:48 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts
Default would it be crazy for a novice to get a dedicated track car?

so, for the past several years i've only dabbled a bit with track driving. have done all the schools and a DE or two a year, but that's about it.

I've kind of fallen off the cliff these past few months doing more days in 2 months than i've done in the past 5 years. I've made a decision to work with a pro driver as a personal coach. I know there are different ways to learn but I believe this is the best way for me to learn and develop consistency.

I've been using my 997 but realize that as great as it's setup for the street, it's still a street car and it's weight certainly shows. Most importantly, I love the car and would hate to beat the hell out of it on the track. I also know how amazingly expensive even a minor "incident" will be.

I know a few people that are selling everything from track prepped 993, 964 turbo, and cayman's. Just trying to decide what to do. Part of me would like to drive my 997 but I don't really think that's reasonable. I guess the thing that is bugging me a bit is pulling up with a trailer and track car and running in the novice group - is this the ultimate poser move

So, do you guys think this would be crazy?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No not at all.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I've made a decision to work with a pro driver as a personal coach. I know there are different ways to learn but I believe this is the best way for me to learn and develop consistency.

So, do you guys think this would be crazy?
Good decision on your study strategy. I'm sure your coach is a prime proponent of a dedicated track car as a learning tool. I would be, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-19-2011, 01:01 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Good decision on your study strategy. I'm sure your coach is a prime proponent of a dedicated track car as a learning tool. I would be, too.
He's constantly busting my chops about it LOL.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:08 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

no on the contrary it's nuts to continue to track a nice street car if you are headed for lots of track time. Buy a logbook race car built to current safety standards eg Cage, where repairs and consumables eg tires are easily affordable. eg Spec Miata, MX5 cup, 944 cup, spec e30, production PCA car in C,D,E class, SCCA improved touring class, Mustang FR500 etc etc
you need to learn to drive so HP is irrelevant, safety, dependability, handling consistency and economy are priorities, in that order.
A logbook car means it's prepped and teched to an objective standard, where you can benchmark yourself against sanctioned-event laptimes, and has a resale market when you are ready to move on.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Not crazy at all. You're making a very good decision to go to a dedicated track car. You will end up there anyway. Think carefully though about what kind of car to get. I would advise staying away from highly powered cars. Learn to make yourself be fast rather than buying a car that goes fast on its own.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I guess the thing that is bugging me a bit is pulling up with a trailer and track car and running in the novice group - is this the ultimate poser move
No. I suspect with a track (log booked race) car and working with a coach you'll end up competing sooner rather than later. There's little to be gained from endless lapping in a low end, overly crowded DE group.

My second day on track in anything was an SCCA licensing school back in '83. My first day, two weeks prior, was a fully open passing track event (and the inaugural track day of the Firebird road course).

But even once you start competing in that environment the learning is just starting.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also think its a great idea.

Not three weeks ago several really good 964s and 911 were offered here, perhaps they're still available.

Great attitude and well thought out questions btw....
Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not crazy. Smart move. As others have said, get a race car with a current log book. This way you know the car is compliant when and if you start wheel to wheel (W2W) racing. It will be worth it for nothing more than the safety factors of seats, harnesses and cage. Use your $ pain tolerent level as a guide to what car you buy. Be aware that the car will not be insured and may have to write it off someday.

Have fun.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

a dedicated race car is a great idea. If you want to drive a Porsche, drive a Porsche. The GT3 Cup is one of the best, strongest, safest race cars around. Its also easy to drive fast and rather difficult to drive extremely fast.
If you go this route, organise a turnkey arrangement with a top race shop (one that your coach respects), that way you aren't caught out having to buy lots of kit you don't want or can't store.

R+C
Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can afford it and you think it is really something you want to do and will be able to spend the time needed to do it, then why not? Couple years ago I was instructing a guy that just bought previous years ALMS Ferrari. This was the guys first session on the track (other than a 2 day Skip Barber). He just decided he wanted to go racing. Thank goodness he had to leave by 12:00 each day (his hired crew and transport were still there) and told me to just take it out during the afternoon and make sure it was running properly.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Eifeler
Pro

I went that route two years ago. The car I selected was a D Stock 911SC that was turn key. The first year was all DE's and I started racing this year. The car was a fantastic trainer because it forced you to drive properly to be quick. Fastest lap at my first DE in Jan 2010 (Sebring) was 3:07 and I thought that was fast at the time. With coaching and practice I'm down to consistent 2:37's with the occasional 2:36. Car just sold this week and I'm moving on to something with more power but very happy with having gone that route.

Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:27 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I bought the E car for the same reasons while still in yellow(age 48).As much as I like the car I'm no spring chicken and it puts my physical abilities and resilience to the test.
Basically what I'm trying to say is I might have been better starting in a more modern car.

Going from even a plain vanilla 997 to a beginning of the alphabet production class car can make you suffer from hp envy but will certainly make you a better driver.

The one thing I will recommend is start with a car that you would like to ultimately drive in a particular class and "build" it yourself. It may cost a bit more but you will know every little piece that has gone into it.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine after my second DE. It wasn't a track car when I bought it, but I bought it for that purpose. A friend of mine who has als done two is fighting with it, too. I'm like BrandonH, it is crazy not to.

And if you are, I would consider a few things. First, don't buy something to take to the track that you can't leave at the track. In other words, buy something you can push hard without fear of wrecking. Second, consider a momentum car. It will make you a better driver, IMHO, because you won't have the power to compensate for taking bad lines.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Go for it

Quick Reply: would it be crazy for a novice to get a dedicated track car?