Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would it be crazy for a novice to get a dedicated track car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris lots of good stuff here. Let me add that getting away from the high HP of your TT is the smartest move you'll ever make with respect to learning to drive better or race. All that HP becomes a bandaid on the track allowing you to bi-pass some important lessons along the learning curve.

I don't think you'd be happy with a non-ABS older car, I would recommend a Spec Boxster as a great stepping stone and learning tool. If you decide you really like this game then you're on the right progression to a cup car. Good luck, stay in touch....
Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

Wanted to update this thread and thank everyone for their overwhelming support.

Well, I did it. After my whopping 4 days of track time (not counting a few schools and odd event over the years) this past fall I sold my TT and purchased a dedicated track car. I was glad to see in this thread that I wasn't the only one to fall so quickly LOL.

I knew the limitations of my TT on the track, not to mention the lack of safety gear. I also knew that the car would take a beating and I did not want to do that.

So, I purchased this '04 996 from Geoff Escalette of RSS Tuning. Car was taken straight from the showroom and turned into a track car. It only has approx. 1,800 miles on it. X-51 engine, JRZ, full cage, AIM dash etc. and all the suspension goodies.

As I said in the original post I was a bit concerned about a novice having a track car. Glad to say I was not the only novice with a track car at VIR recently. More importantly, no one seemed to care one way or the other.

It was a blast to drive and a lot to absorb. Had my instructor, Aaron Povoldeo with me and man, what a difference than the turbo! The whole weekend was full of "firsts". First time in this car, first time towing - oh yeah, also bought a new trailex open trailer as well as a '12 Touareg TDI. So, my head was pretty much spinning! Was as concerned about loading/unloading and towing as the driving LOL.

My coach was thrilled with the car from a set up perspective - he thought it was a great car to drive and very safe for a beginner. For all intents and purposes this was my 5th day on a track. I thought I did ok and there is obviously lots to learn. Not that we were focused on lap times but he did time a couple of laps. Not sure what a 5 day novice should do, so i'll leave it blank for the time being LOL.

The only issue I had was during the open session. There were a lot of cars on track and felt a little bit in over my head. I spent way too much time driving my mirrors and worried about what was going on behind me. I didn't like the way it was going so came in and called it a day.

Here are some pics the day the car arrived from CA. Thanks again for everyone's help

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Looks well prepared, coming up to Limerock in April?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that looks like a perfect car for you. Congratulations. Good choice.

I remember the first time I towed to the track... very stressful (I was not experienced with towing either)...
Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations and great decision - all in takes a deep breath, but I'm sure you'll be loving life soon.

Wise move getting off of the track; in my mind, you're ready for anything with that frame of mind.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Man that looks like a perfect car for you. Congratulations. Good choice.

I remember the first time I towed to the track... very stressful (I was not experienced with towing either)...
Yeah, I pulled over a LOT to keep checking the straps LOL.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice! And here I am thinking I'm crazy for buying seats, harnesses, and a roll bar after only 3 days on the track. This thread makes me feel much better
Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nice, congrats!

I think I looked at that car last fall in Orange County.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats! It only gets more fun from here!

Btw, Aaron is a fantastic driver and coach. He helped me a lot my first time at Daytona back in December.

-mike
Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
Congrats! It only gets more fun from here!

Btw, Aaron is a fantastic driver and coach. He helped me a lot my first time at Daytona back in December.

-mike
Yeah, he's a great guy. Both amazing and depressing to have him drive this car. I'll never drive it like he can, but guess i'll just keep trying. We'll be together again in May.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice car!

<-------- I bought this

My thought process was 2 fold. 1, I spent less money on it, then i would have on a BBK for my street car. and 2, I'm getting fast enough (read, not fast, but enough) to merit wanting a roll cage around me at all times.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Good decision on your study strategy. I'm sure your coach is a prime proponent of a dedicated track car as a learning tool. I would be, too.
"Never ask a barber if you need a haircut" - Professor Helmüt Tester, March2012
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Now it will start getting expensive.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Texas2Step
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dotframe
Very nice! And here I am thinking I'm crazy for buying seats, harnesses, and a roll bar after only 3 days on the track. This thread makes me feel much better

Don't forget to get a HANS. Once you're using harnesses, you really should have a HANS.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on a car, now read a lot about M96 engines and make sure your car has all required work done to prolong its life on a track.

Quick Reply: would it be crazy for a novice to get a dedicated track car?