Sponsored by:

Any Spec Miata Racers on Here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Spec Miata Racers on Here?

I will be fielding a Spec Miata next year to help my local NASA region get cars going (also the acting SM director). Just bought a street car and prepping it to the rules but have some questions as I'm coming over from 944-Spec which allows significantly more modification / customization (at least of the interior - can remove dash entirely, rewire the car, etc.). I've got build logs I'm following, reading the rules and bought that constructors handbook from Dave Wheeler (still in the mail). Thanks.

Last edited by jaje; 11-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Doug007
Racer

Me and a buddy of mine that races in PCA E Class are looking for a spec miata. I've been trying to get up to speed myself.

Sounds like you've already got a good start with Wheeler's book and the build logs. Mazdaracers.com and the archives at specmiata.com can probably answer a lot of questions.

Just be aware that some of the rules have changed fairly recently, such as allowing adjustable fuel pressure regulators. Weights and restrictor plates are new for 2012 through 2015 with matching rules in NASA and SCCA. Tires changed in SCCA to Hoosiers too.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2nd year in SM. Best class to run IMHO if you want competition every race and you aren't racing grand am. SCCA has biggest fields...54 miatas at the ARRC last weekend and most SM. Hard to build a COMPETITIVE car on your own, but not hard to build a regional midpack car. A stock, non-pro engine will not put you up front. Rossini and some others build a really good engine. Best car builders are Tom at OPM in Atlanta and Jim Drago at East Street in Memphis, TN. I have a Drago car that is competitive.

Love the new spec tire...hoosiers are much better and you don't have to shave them. Later model cars are easier to make weight if you are a heavier person. I drive a 99 because I'm 220. Not really sure why they are allowing less weight and making the restrictors smaller..

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-10-2011, 03:29 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And NASA Central grows...cool!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, have been racing SM since 2004. Love the competition, long enduro races and simple/inexpensive (to Porsches) cars.

Who was the SM guy that shared his car with Randy Pobst to run at the ARRC with him in SM??
Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
Who was the SM guy that shared his car with Randy Pobst to run at the ARRC with him in SM??

We ended up 2nd overall and SM after the dust settled. What a blast!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Mike Yura "team drug money" races one. I think he gets half a decade out of a set of tires. Sick

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 11-10-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 AM
dp35
Pro

I bought a used Spec Miata for $7K last January, won some races with it & 2nd at the NASA Nationals. This year we built a new 1999 Spec Miata. I agree with most of the info posted above. We also relied heavily on Wheeler's book, info on the Mazda racers forum, and the helpful tips of fellow SM racers.

I use Race Engineering engines from North Carolina. IMO they're the best.

Although you can get lots of life from one set of tires racing a Spec Miata, if you want to run in the upper half of the field that won't cut it. Winning at a high level requires a set of tires every couple races, depending on the abrasiveness of the tracks you're running. This will be true for either Toyos or Hoosiers.

Just the other day someone posted here that they would not even drive a Spec Miata at a track day because in their opinion most SM drivers are idiots that can't race without crashing into each other (paraphrasing). This is unfair & untrue. I'd put a 10th place Spec Miata driver up against a 10th place driver in PCA or any other class in club racing.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Just the other day someone posted here that they would not even drive a Spec Miata at a track day because in their opinion most SM drivers are idiots that can't race without crashing into each other (paraphrasing). This is unfair & untrue. I'd put a 10th place Spec Miata driver up against a 10th place driver in PCA or any other class in club racing.
aha, bud, that would be me.
a SM field is easily 30-50+ cars
a 10th place SM driver is a great driver
furthermore, i be more than happy to be on track with you, or dean and have my *** handed to me 10x over. but try to drive with the last 10 cars in SM. i see a plenty of sh*t happening

it's not the car it's some of the drivers who feel SM are inexpensive and thus they drive it like bumper cars.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:15 AM
dp35
Pro

Good point Mooty. The rear 5% of any club racing pack will not flatter the group. When the field is huge the bottom 5% contains more drivers, and provides lots of crash video footage.

For those that haven't tried it & have the opportunity, set your ego aside and race a Spec Miata. Regardless of your speed, you'll be in a tight battle the whole time with equal cars. It's a blast.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=dp35;9015625I'd put a 10th place Spec Miata driver up against a 10th place driver in PCA or any other class in club racing.[/QUOTE]

Truth!

I've been racing SM while my SP996 is being rebuilt (Stop reading RL and get back to work Viking!). The level of driving at the front of the pack is VERY high. To be fast in these cars, they have to be driven on the ragged edge all the time, and at the same time you have to be precise. Give up a few inches of apex, or a foot of track-out, and it will kill your speed. There is more contact than in PCA, but at least in Texas, it's watched by the stewards, and if there's an obvious repeat offender, it's dealt with.

SM is a blast, and next year I'll be racing both SM and SP996.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Atleast in SCCA there is a formal process in which you can protest bad driving.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike, who works on your SM? I am in Houston as well and I may be heading into SM soon.
It's been about 7 years since I've driven one and that was in FL.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Mike Yura "team drug money" races one. I think he gets half a decade out of a set of tires. Sick
Michael has done all the homework, he's a convert and a good resource.

Originally Posted by dp35
We also relied heavily on Wheeler's book, info on the Mazda racers forum, and the helpful tips of fellow SM racers.

I use Race Engineering engines from North Carolina. IMO they're the best.

Winning at a high level requires a set of tires every couple races, depending on the abrasiveness of the tracks you're running. This will be true for either Toyos or Hoosiers.

I'd put a 10th place Spec Miata driver up against a 10th place driver in PCA or any other class in club racing.
^^advice from a winner^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great field. I'd put 10th place SRF guy against a SM guy too. But it wouldn't be fair as sometimes its the same guy. A few guys double dip in SM and SRF.
FWIW
The 2010 SM National Champion who also finished 2nd place in 2011 finished down in 15th in the SRF race......

The myth is that the midpack is where all the stupid happens. The front of the field is just as bad or worse. ARRC---stupid move caused a crash at front of field, multiple cars with significant damage yet no paper thrown and no stewards action. Runoffs--big chunk of those in top 6 cheated and booted. It is cyclical though and SM is slowly coming out of it but the bad press is actually earned right now IMO. Two guys got booted for a long time at the runoffs. For the most part there is good racing and the bad eggs are easy to find and you can avoid them for the most part.

As for your build. Dave Wheeler is a good resource. I had some peripheral contact with him when I was in the CenDiv and always had a great experience. New shop in Charlotte, TiSpeed http://www.tispeedengineering.com/ has some very nice engines coming out right now.

Quick Reply: Any Spec Miata Racers on Here?