Sponsored by:

Any Spec Miata Racers on Here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
We did do some upgrades, but nowhere near $7K's worth. Won an SCCA regional race 1st time out in that car, after changing nothing but shocks, brakes, & tires.
Interesting. I was thinking about getting a kart for around $7k. For nearly the same money it seems SM is worth a look: low maintenance, lots of races and lots of competition.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

They're probably the cheapest racing in motorsports... We have run 12 days DE (double duty) and not run thru a set of rotors. Gone thru two sets of tires (flat spotted by the youngsters0 and one set of carbotech pads (we changed back to hawks because they last longer).

The SM community is great!

Mike
Old 11-12-2011, 01:20 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
We did do some upgrades, but nowhere near $7K's worth. Won an SCCA regional race 1st time out in that car, after changing nothing but shocks, brakes, & tires.
That's excellent. Certainly an exception to the rule. I need all the car I can get.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 AM
htron435
Advanced

Been racing SM part time since Aug '09 (3-4 weekends a year, limited by young children & budget ). Running with NASA Great Lakes -- super group of guys, and extremely competitive. Haven't run with SCCA yet, although around here NASA fields are bigger than SCCA, and lots of guys run both series. Looking forward both sanctioning bodies having the same rules this year -- will bring out all the big guns to NASA Nationals @ Mid Ohio.

These are great cars to drive -- you have to run on the ragged edge to be competitive. Relatively inexpensive to race, and the talent is amazing.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:30 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Wow - there's a lot of closet SM racers here! Sounds great. I'm not sure of what field we'll have next year as NASA CR is new so we'll have to build a core group of drivers and racers. I am going to do a cheap engine rebuild myself before sinking a lot of dough into a pro built motor. I will be blogging my build so hoping it'll help. I also just got my Dave Wheeler book today so started reading that.

Thanks everyone and hope to have a good time racing next year.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I'm not surprised by the number of SM/SSM folks here. We're all car guys and racing guys, and SM is almost pure racing (as the cars are largely equalized). Equal cars and big field mean lots of learning. You can run regionally in SCCA GT1 or GT2 (big V8 racers) and spend most of your races alone, or running with one or two others. In SM or SRF, you're nose-to-tail and side-by-side for lap after lap. You can get more racing experience in a weekend than some groups get in a season. When you start racing at 50, you want to learn fast!

That said, SM/SSM (and SRF) jockeys dread the one question that they always get asked by noobs at cocktail parties, "So how fast does it go?"
Old 11-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
That said, SM/SSM (and SRF) jockeys dread the one question that they always get asked by noobs at cocktail parties, "So how fast does it go?"

Der Professor, who pilotes both an SM & an SRF (and other stuff, too) has a standards response here:

"Well, I haven't had it over 185."

And I haven't.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Another SM racer, started racing SM in SCCA 10 years ago and can honestly state that I have not regretted a single track day or race in my Miata and racing in the more competitive fields has made me a better racer. Even though this is SPEC Miata, there are basically 3 types of Miata’s. 90-93 is the lightest with a 1.6 motor. 94-97 looks the same on the out side with the pop-up headlights but has a 1.8 motor and more weight. The 99+ has the molded headlights with a better breathing 1.8 motor. Both SCCA and NASA have very similar rule sets so it is easy to race with both groups. The mix of year model and weight along with performance mods keep the different cars very close. And at least in SCCA, a SM can double/triple dip in ITA and STU.

Another aspect that I really like about SM is that it makes for an excellent endurance racer. They are easy on tires and brakes and fairly low maintenance.

A SM is an easy and rewarding car to drive well but very difficult to master.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by CAM14
Another SM racer, started racing SM in SCCA 10 years ago and can honestly state that I have not regretted a single track day or race in my Miata and racing in the more competitive fields has made me a better racer. Even though this is SPEC Miata, there are basically 3 types of Miata’s. 90-93 is the lightest with a 1.6 motor. 94-97 looks the same on the out side with the pop-up headlights but has a 1.8 motor and more weight. The 99+ has the molded headlights with a better breathing 1.8 motor. Both SCCA and NASA have very similar rule sets so it is easy to race with both groups. The mix of year model and weight along with performance mods keep the different cars very close. And at least in SCCA, a SM can double/triple dip in ITA and STU.

Another aspect that I really like about SM is that it makes for an excellent endurance racer. They are easy on tires and brakes and fairly low maintenance.

A SM is an easy and rewarding car to drive well but very difficult to master.
So, how fast does it go?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
So, how fast does it go?
Quicker than most in the corners, slower than most on the straight
Grins per $ are off the chart.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAM14
Quicker than most in the corners, slower than most on the straight
Grins per $ are off the chart.
SM racers are multi-taskers. We can check our email and return phone calls on the straights.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
SM racers are multi-taskers. We can check our email and return phone calls on the straights.
Straights? I've seen some doing it in the corners.....
Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't compete with my friend in his Ferrari though.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I prefer chapters of War & Peace during stints on VIR full courses back straight...

That said, bumpdrafting with other SMs is a hoot!
Mike
Old 11-19-2011, 12:26 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I just bought a caged Miata that was built for SM but the owner gutted too far and will take too much effort to convert back but it has most parts I will need and I got a good price for it. I'll swap over the good parts to my build then the stock parts back over to the other car and sell it as a chump / Lemons chassis as it's already caged.

Quick Reply: Any Spec Miata Racers on Here?