Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping rain out of race car when open trailering...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:13 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought I would report on my experience with this issue. I never had the canvas cover constructed that I mention earlier in this thread.

All I've done is to drill a half dozen 12mm holes in the lowest part of the floor pan under the seats on both sides to serve as drains. I also wrapped the immobilizer computer securely in plastic. I feel pretty good about my solution since a few years back when we drove through monsoon rainstorms on our way from Minneapolis to Road America and I had zero issues.

Haven't thought about this since.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:58 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used both the original windows and plexi. With the windows, you can build some small catch mounts and put them in the door...they work great! Then all you have to do is slide them and go. Same with plexi, but make sure you use Lexan and not regular plexiglass. Much more durable and will last much longer. I'll see if I can snap a pic or two this weekend of the Fclass Boxster and the mounts I made. If you design them to fit down inside the door, you don't have to worry about sealing or taping...they stay in place.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-28-2016, 02:00 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I've used both the original windows and plexi. With the windows, you can build some small catch mounts and put them in the door...they work great! Then all you have to do is slide them and go. Same with plexi, but make sure you use Lexan and not regular plexiglass. Much more durable and will last much longer. I'll see if I can snap a pic or two this weekend of the Fclass Boxster and the mounts I made. If you design them to fit down inside the door, you don't have to worry about sealing or taping...they stay in place.
Roger,

Just sent you a PM on a different matter. Sorry for hi-jacking. Resume regular programming.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:04 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Roger,

Just sent you a PM on a different matter. Sorry for hi-jacking. Resume regular programming.
Thanks Mike!!
Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
in a pinch stretchtite food wrap works really well. best quality plastic I've used. sticks to itself...

Stretch-Tite

https://www.walmart.com/ip/37516083?...&wl13=&veh=sem
I am in a pinch (no time for shipping) -- does this really work? Isn't it too thin and wouldn't it just rip apart while towing? Thx.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I am in a pinch (no time for shipping) -- does this really work? Isn't it too thin and wouldn't it just rip apart while towing? Thx.
Criss-cross it with duct tape and it should stay together...then again i'm dropping my crash wrap roll and duct tape off at EPS tomorrow night...
Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Criss-cross it with duct tape and it should stay together...then again i'm dropping my crash wrap roll and duct tape off at EPS tomorrow night...
Thx so much!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:45 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I used used half the roll, but its worked for me when my passenger window was shattered. I had some cardboard in there to support it and tape. but it kept it dry enough for a race car with no carpet...
Old 01-04-2017, 06:03 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
That is a real problem. I have seen on rare occassion open trailers with box tubing attached to them like a stake bed truck. A marine type heavy tarp was placed over the box to make a towable semi-enclosed trailer. The cool thing it the convertability and small size to still fit in a home garage.

okay this is AWESOME

it looks perfectly suited for a trailer with a factory installed tire track. As a bonus it would be a nifty way to protect spares. Where does one find such a thing?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:15 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

I keep my windows up. Problem solved!

Quick Reply: Keeping rain out of race car when open trailering...