Sponsored by:

Do I need two helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 09:24 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts
Default Do I need two helmets?

I moved into a Schroth Flex neck restraint last season that I really like (over my HANS). It's comfortable and fits well in the seat - doesn't marr my LWB.

I bought a Simpson Hybrid device to wear when instructing in cars with 3 point belts.

The attachment systems are proprietary to each manucturer and don't work with each other. I asked both if they'd be willing to sew in the competitive hardware (I'm an eternal optimist) and as expected - each said "no" because they do not test equipment other than their own, and changing any aspect of the system would potentially adversely affect safety.

Common sense tells me it shouldn't matter whose attachment hardwear is at the end of the tether - but since they are different - I assume I need two helmets.

I know I can probably just replace the Schroth with the Simpson hybrid and use it whether in my harnesses or a student's car - but it's not nearly as comfortable as the Flex so when possible I'll want to take off the Flex.

I know I can't have two sets of posts on one helmet (that would be an ideal solution if allowed). I don't want to go back to the HANS - it doesn't fit nearly as well in the seat.

Is there any other way to solve this issue? Am I overlooking a solution (other than two helmets)?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

+1 as I'm kind of in the same boat.

I have an R3 and don't really care for the D ring attachment as it is almost impossible to do up in the car, it rattles against the helmet and scratches it. Plus, I don't think the R3 is as comfortable as the other devices. Given this is new helmet season, I'm kicking around the idea of getting something else to use in 5/6 pt cars with a common attachment.

-Mike
Old 01-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Simpson/Safety Solutions has multiple attachment options now. The old Dring, a Quick disconnect and the HANS post/anchor system. Just need to get the new webbing for the changeover.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Simpson/Safety Solutions has multiple attachment options now. The old Dring, a Quick disconnect and the HANS post/anchor system. Just need to get the new webbing for the changeover.
I bought mine (Hybrid Sport) over a year ago and I had the choice of anchors. Since I already had the HANS anchors I went that route for simplicity..
Old 01-03-2017, 05:46 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

I'll call Simpson again. I was told they would not accommodate a Schroth attachment which is different from HANS. I love the Schroth neck restraint and don't want to go back to my HANS. Both attachments are similar in how they operate but the shapes are proprietary and one doesn't work with the other.

Thanks for the info. I'll report back
Old 01-04-2017, 01:50 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I think the shroth flex comes with the posts to connect to helmet.

When I bought my Roux helmet Linda from apex removed the Hans posts and mounted the posts for the schroth on the helmet.

both posts use the same bolt size (m6 ??)
Old 01-04-2017, 11:09 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure if I clearly articulated the issue.

Yes - the Schroth Flex came with all necessary hardware/attachment/posts to install on the helmet.

The Simpson Hybrid comes with all necessary hardware.

The problem is that the Schroth attachment is shaped slightly differently than the Simpson.

I want to switch back and forth between the two - using the Simpson while instructing in cars with three point belts, and then switching to the Schroth Flex when in my car, or any car with harnesses.

The posts for Simpson do not work with Schroth and vice versa.

This means I must either choose one device over the other - or have two helmets: each accommodating the proprietary hardware of the devices.

Currently I have an Arai helmet that has the Schroth Flex hardware installed.

I had an old Bell that was fitted for my HANS that would work with the Simpson Hybrid - but it's a 2005 so it's no longer "legal".

I just spoke to Simpson. The answer is no. They will not sew anyone else's hardware onto their tether. Has to do with SFI regulations and of course they will not "mix" systems.

I already asked Schroth and they said no.

Unless anyone has another idea - it looks like my choice is to have a helmet for each device, or go back to my HANS which doesn't work nearly as well for me.

HANS will be for sale shortly.

Thanks all for your input.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 01-04-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I think you will need two helmets. Either that or just go with one H&N system. Then you would probably need two seat inserts for the Simpson. Keep one in your car and move the other to student cars.

Now if it was the Simpson Hybrid Sport, there might be a way to use a longer bolt and attach the D-ring under the Schroth anchor. Of course, the Hybrid Sport isn't certified for 3-point belts, so that wouldn't really help either.

I just got a Necksgen and, of course, it uses yet another proprietary connection system. For me, the Schroth was too uncomfortable - really dug into my clavicle. The one place I'm not well-padded! LOL

Maybe get an open face helmet with built-in electronics for instructing?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:47 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Are the tethers the same length? You could just buy a set of new tethers and just use shroth tethers on your simpson, or vice versa. Or you could swap out the helmet posts every time. Or buy 2 helmets.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

The OP said, "I just spoke to Simpson. The answer is no. They will not sew anyone else's hardware onto their tether." Such a move would likely open them up to liability.

But YOU or someone you hire could do that sewing step and then you'd be good to go, yes? Just be sure to do good sewing.

Just a thought. (no flames pls; it's just a thought.)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:15 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

^ I could do that - but I'd be altering a proprietary tested system which I'm reluctant to do. I'm paying for the safety they claim they are providing. If I change the system in any way I could possibly compromise the safety, and I'd rather deal with two helmets than risk reducing the safety unknowingly.

A change would certainly invalidate the approvals, and while I don't race (at this point) - I may want to in the future and the device is too expensive to mess with.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The obvious answer is to use the Hybrid all the time. put a cover over the rub spot on the LWB.

It's arguably a better device at offset impacts than the schroth.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:21 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The obvious answer is to use the Hybrid all the time. put a cover over the rub spot on the LWB.

It's arguably a better device at offset impacts than the schroth.
I am presuming it won't be as comfortable as the FLEX. You make a good point about offset impact.

I'll try the Hybrid S "full time" at my first event which is three days, before getting the second helmet, and see how it goes.

Thank you.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I've used them all and in car the difference between them has been negligible. With the R3 being the exception if you didn't use the insert that it came with.

Quick Reply: Do I need two helmets?