Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping rain out of race car when open trailering...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:33 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keeping rain out of race car when open trailering...

I have a Spec Boxster that I haul with an open trailer and am looking for a good solution to seal up the windows for hauling when it’s raining. I have a car cover, but it nearly ripped off at speed, even when strapped down pretty well. I’m planning to buy some plexiglass to cut into a window shape, but some test-fitting with cardboard shows that there will be lots of sealing issues (the door doesn’t have a top rail over the window to help hold the plexiglass in place, the door seals have been removed, the fiberglass top has no seals, etc). If I use plexiglass, it looks like I'll have to use a lot of weaterstripping. I’m curious what other solutions you’ve seen for race cars on open trailers?

Thanks in advance…

Kevin
Old 10-08-2011, 11:41 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

That is a real problem. I have seen on rare occassion open trailers with box tubing attached to them like a stake bed truck. A marine type heavy tarp was placed over the box to make a towable semi-enclosed trailer. The cool thing it the convertability and small size to still fit in a home garage.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Make some plexi windows, and then use wide painters tape to seal the edges if you end up facing rain. It won't be perfect, but it will do a good enough job.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

We use cardboard covered in copius amounts of racer tape, taped into the window openings on our 914. Not the best system, but it works to keep about 95% of the rain out. When the car isn't moving, we have a tonneu cover of sorts for the cockpit.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 AM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

body shop use a clear wrap to protect vehicles out in the yard. very sticky. might work.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Friend of mine came up with this, works great. Make thin plastic windows (I got the plastic from Home Depot) using the glass as templates. Hold in place with two rubber door stops on each window. Keeps the weather and critters out of the car.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem. My plan is to have a canvass cover fabricated by a local outfit that makes boat covers. It will cover just the windshield, side and rear windows. I've seen boats tooling down the road with no trouble, so I figure it should work for a car.

This is my plan but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, so if anyone else has tried this I would be interested in hearing about your experience.

Michael
Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

My car cover works perfectly. I have front and rear toe hooks (rather than securing through the wheels). The tie down strap anchors go right over the fabric of the car cover. Then when I crank them down, the anchors make a small hole through the cover, firmly securing front and rear. I then open each door, stuff a segment of the cover under the lower edge of each door, and gently shut the door, securing it on each side. I trailered it back from Daytona in monsoon conditions, and it stayed perfectly.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:41 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Removable Plexiglass windows - very easy to make with Home-Depot material, or get someone to do it for you. I use them on my Interseries Cayman.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:15 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Break down and buy an enclosed trailer. Unfortunately that is what I am thinking of doing. Also excellent storage for all the bits of stuff you only use for the track.

Last edited by rlm328; 10-09-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: caint spil
Old 10-09-2011, 04:56 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

At the next race you can use other SPB's polycarbonate windows as a template and see the ideas they used to keep them in place. I know there will be 4 cars with plastic windows at ECR in a couple weeks. But yeah, they all look like they leak. I used to use crashwrap before getting an enclosed.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlm328
Break down and buy an enclosed trailer. Unfortunately that is what I am thinking of doing. Also excellent storage for all the bits of stuff you only use for the track.
This ^^^
Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good ideas everyone - thanks. One suggestion I got was to use the sticky clear carpet protection film sold to protect carpets from paint and mover damage. Looks like it is similar (but not as thick) as the crashwrap mentioned above. I picked some up today at Lowes (24" wide roll) and applied it to the car and it made a really nice, water tight, clear barrier across the window. If it will hold up at speed, it might be the easiest solution. Just not sure if hundreds of miles of wind buffeting will start to tear it off or if it will eventually puncture.

Has anyone done this and does the adhesive hold up to the road? I could easily double coat it for extra strength if need be...

Last edited by longhorn911; 10-09-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
That is a real problem. I have seen on rare occassion open trailers with box tubing attached to them like a stake bed truck. A marine type heavy tarp was placed over the box to make a towable semi-enclosed trailer. The cool thing it the convertability and small size to still fit in a home garage.

Wow that is a really good idea for someone that can't have an enclosed trailer...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I was just going to say the same thing, quite ingenious...

Quick Reply: Keeping rain out of race car when open trailering...