Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:10 PM
htron435
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ironic thing to me is the number of people here who wouldn't be caught dead driving a Ford Taurus (which is a dull but quality car), yet are willing to put their faith in theses obscenely cheap trailers that you see come and go on Ebay, etc. It's what's inside that matters most.

Okay, my rant is over now
Old 11-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

htron435 is correct.

I'm a former Pace dealer and current ATC, Trailex and Bravo Trailers (all the good Pace people) dealer.

You do get what you pay for no matter the product. Trailers are no exception.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have experience with Look Trailers?
http://www.looktrailers.com/
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

I have a fully outfitted Hurricane cargo 26ft V-nose (24 box) with the Racer 2 Package. It came with the new 3M adhesive to secure the outside walls, similar to how they assembly tractor trailer cabs. The outside is so smooth with none of that ripple effect. I've had zero problems with it and it pulls beautiful. Was it cheap, no, but it is an affordable option. Hurricane is one of the middle to middle-high quality trailer companies. It does come with a 6 year warranty and the frame is completely coated. Dry weight of my trailer with cabinets and A/C is 4150. I use a Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax so weight is not an issue.

Hurricane has been around for a while and since they basically sell factory direct, you are not paying a middle man. Hence the better prices.

My business partner has a 24ft Pace GT and it does not tow as nice (flat to V nose I guess) and it has SO MANY screws on the outside . . . Don't get me wrong, it is a quality piece but for what that cost new compared to mine, I would not spend the difference.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by htron435
Trailers are kind of like cars or scooters in that you get what you pay for. ...
People keep posting this, but it's somewhat useless advice. Because just like cars & scooters, you can also spend a lot of money for really no added value. I bought a nice R&R aluminum open trailer for $4k, and would I "get what I pay for" by instead buying the similar Featherlite costing $8k? No way.

So like other products, there's certainly a sweet-spot for value. Is Hurricane a Yugo or a Chevrolet? That's the relevant question IMHO. Many of us are fine with the Chevy; we don't need the Benz.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

What happened to Pace? Seems like everyone used to have one...

c.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
People keep posting this, but it's somewhat useless advice. Because just like cars & scooters, you can also spend a lot of money for really no added value. I bought a nice R&R aluminum open trailer for $4k, and would I "get what I pay for" by instead buying the similar Featherlite costing $8k? No way.

So like other products, there's certainly a sweet-spot for value. Is Hurricane a Yugo or a Chevrolet? That's the relevant question IMHO. Many of us are fine with the Chevy; we don't need the Benz.
Hurricane is a nice GMC/Chevy HD truck. Not the prettiest but durable as hell.

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
What happened to Pace? Seems like everyone used to have one...

c.
Pace is out of business. Look Trailers bought them out.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 PM
CT03911
Banned

I agree with Eric. Sometimes there is a good reason to pay more. Like buying a Porsche
Sometimes I think it pays to find out more info and make an informed decison, especially when buying an item that does not require rocket scientists to build, just good solid construction and parts.

Pace is gone but will supposedly be re-incarnated and still supported. Hmm.
Hurricane is not a NATM member. I wonder why?
Gator and United are two that have my attention right now.
I cannot afford a high end all aluminum enclosed.
I don't need the inside to rival my kitchen.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I personally did not see the value in buying high end on a product that I will use 12 times a year.

It comes with 5200lb dexter axles which seem to be the standard in trailers. After one full year of use I am happy with the Hurricane product . I guess we'll see if it holds up or not.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
I meant why are they out of business. I have one and they are quite durable I think...

Like my new GMC pick-up

c.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM
CT03911
Banned

Cut and paste from an internet newspaper post:

Three of its creditors petitioned for Pace American to enter Chapter 7 bankruptcy on Aug. 31, listing $1.28 million that the company owed. The request was granted Monday in Northern Indiana's U.S. District Court, giving Pace American officials a week to proceed with the bankruptcy. The process liquidates a business' assets and repays creditors with the sale proceeds.

So, it sounds like they were insolvent. Bad sales, bad management or both would seem to be the options.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO

Not exactly.

Pace was bought by a private equity firm awhile back (1-2 yrs.) and was subsequently forced into bankruptcy protection at the end of August.

Look trailers bought the trade name, intellectual property and limited assets of Pace American. http://rvdailyreport.com/news/id/165...-pace-american I believe the head guy at Look trailers was the son of a founder of Haulmark trailers.

Most of the core group at Pace went on to Bravo Trailers.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CT03911
I agree with Eric. Sometimes there is a good reason to pay more. Like buying a Porsche
Sometimes I think it pays to find out more info and make an informed decison, especially when buying an item that does not require rocket scientists to build, just good solid construction and parts.

Pace is gone but will supposedly be re-incarnated and still supported. Hmm.
Hurricane is not a NATM member. I wonder why?
Gator and United are two that have my attention right now.
I cannot afford a high end all aluminum enclosed.
I don't need the inside to rival my kitchen.
Hurricane Cargo owns Gator Trailer. Gator is their entry level trailer company. I met the owner at an event here in Florida. They had a few trailers on display and we talked a bit.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Not exactly.

Pace was bought by a private equity firm awhile back (1-2 yrs.) and was subsequently forced into bankruptcy protection at the end of August.

Look trailers bought the trade name, intellectual property and limited assets of Pace American. http://rvdailyreport.com/news/id/165...-pace-american I believe the head guy at Look trailers was the son of a founder of Haulmark trailers.

Most of the core group at Pace went on to Bravo Trailers.
Thank you, I stand corrected
Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 PM
CT03911
Banned

Sounds to me like Pace got bought by a private "we'll take your equity" firm.
I'm going with mismanagement or absent management then, not bad sales.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailers