Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 AM
htron435
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
People keep posting this, but it's somewhat useless advice. Because just like cars & scooters, you can also spend a lot of money for really no added value. I bought a nice R&R aluminum open trailer for $4k, and would I "get what I pay for" by instead buying the similar Featherlite costing $8k? No way.

So like other products, there's certainly a sweet-spot for value. Is Hurricane a Yugo or a Chevrolet? That's the relevant question IMHO. Many of us are fine with the Chevy; we don't need the Benz.
Just do your research -- make sure you're getting the Chevy and not the Yugo. That was kind of the point. If the company has been around a while, there's a better chance that it's the former. Ultimately its about the construction. Avoid hatpost walls and ceilings, cheap axles and bias tires. And don't sacrifice structure for weight.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
Sounds to me like Pace got bought by a private "we'll take your equity" firm.
I'm going with mismanagement or absent management then, not bad sales.
Pretty much. Once the core group left we started looking elsewhere.
They apparently also lost a large contract with one of the box stores.

I'm very happy we picked up ATC.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Pace and would not buy another (if I could) - too many issues for a supposedly "quality" trailer.

Marc
Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by htron435
Just do your research -- make sure you're getting the Chevy and not the Yugo. That was kind of the point. If the company has been around a while, there's a better chance that it's the former. Ultimately its about the construction. Avoid hatpost walls and ceilings, cheap axles and bias tires. And don't sacrifice structure for weight.
Good info. That's what I liked about the Hurricane. You can choose from mild to wild on the options. This time around I went with insulated walls and ceilings with the A/C unit. At my last track event in Savannah with it being 90+ degrees outside, it was 64.9 degrees inside!!! My wife was telling people we had a cold storage freezer, not a trailer anymore

Nothing like being comfortable at the track!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I have a Pace and would not buy another (if I could) - too many issues for a supposedly "quality" trailer.

Marc
My business partner has a PAce Shadow GT which was very expensive but a nice trailer. The only issues so far has been a blowout which he ended up getting all new tires and the extension flap on the rear door rotted out because water was getting in from the top. As he drove his M3 into the trailer it just started splitting and cracking . . . It is 4-5 years old now.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Marc
What year, and what issues?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
htron435
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Good info. That's what I liked about the Hurricane. You can choose from mild to wild on the options. This time around I went with insulated walls and ceilings with the A/C unit. At my last track event in Savannah with it being 90+ degrees outside, it was 64.9 degrees inside!!! My wife was telling people we had a cold storage freezer, not a trailer anymore

Nothing like being comfortable at the track!!!
Amen to that. I have A/C in mine too -- I can't believe how I used to live without it. My coolshirt quit working in the first lap of a Spec Miata race @ MidOhio in August. By the time the race was over, I was cooked. It felt wonderful to pull down the soaking suit and sit in the "ice box" for ten minutes or so. In the long run, A/C is too cheap not to get, especially if you're from a warm climate. Just like buying the cool shirt system -- WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FFaust
What year, and what issues?
I'd better not say in case I want to sell it here.....

No, really, it is a Shadow GT (with Daytona package) 26' custom order I bought 18 months ago (2009) - since then I have re-done half the wiring, repainted both in-floor spare tire storage spaces with POR15 (rust! already!), replaced the loading lights, replaced the battery, repaired the electric jack,resealed where the water comes in if I drive through a puddle (crappy caulking), resealed the generator box (crappy caulking), reglued weatherstripping on the rear door (twice), etc.

All minor stuff but after forking out $25k for my "dream" trailer I was not happy to have to fix all these issues. It is all resolved now and I am finally satisfied but I would not buy one again.

Marc
Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

I'd better not say in case I want to sell it here.....

No, really, it is a Shadow GT (with Daytona package) 26' custom order I bought 18 months ago (2009) - since then I have re-done half the wiring, repainted both in-floor spare tire storage spaces with POR15 (rust! already!), replaced the loading lights, replaced the battery, repaired the electric jack,resealed where the water comes in if I drive through a puddle (crappy caulking), resealed the generator box (crappy caulking), reglued weatherstripping on the rear door (twice), etc.

All minor stuff but after forking out $25k for my "dream" trailer I was not happy to have to fix all these issues. It is all resolved now and I am finally satisfied but I would not buy one again.

Marc
That stinks . . . At least you got it squared away. My business partner has the same trailer but it is an 06 or 07.

My Hurricane trailer is outfitted like your Pace Daytona but no generator box. It does have fully insulated walls and ceiling and a 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach a/c system. It was almost half the price of your Pace and no issues. It is a lot of bang for the buck really.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah - they do sound like a deal. Mine is insulated and wired for a/c but not installed yet.

Marc
Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Yeah - they do sound like a deal. Mine is insulated and wired for a/c but not installed yet.

Marc
If you spend time at the track the A/C is one of the best add ons!!! You can also get an air curtain from Pit Pal to go over the side door. Once you get it you will never have a trailer without it!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:36 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

@ Marc

fellow pace daytona owner check your curbside door and front shiny bits. Mine were held on with sticky tape, not kidding. Side door literally came off and landed on me, then driving back from Sebring I noticed flashing in my side mirror. Thought it was a cop but it turned out to be the stainless polished corner pieces flapping about causing other damage. The only thing keeping it on was a thru-hull fitting I had for other purposes thankfully. That piece could have cut a biker in half. Now both the door and corner bits have true mechanical fastners. Purchased new and I am orignal owner, never again.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow! Thanks for the heads up - mine is smooth sided so I think the whole thing is held together with 3M double-sided tape.

Marc
Old 11-24-2011, 11:00 AM
CT03911
Banned

It's screwed everywhere else too. Wonder why they'd skip that area?
I do wonder about the whole screwless deal.
Every truck I've seen- since I've paid attention just recently- has screwed sides.
The screwless sides look clean but I wonder about long term adhesion.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CT03911
It's screwed everywhere else too. Wonder why they'd skip that area?
I do wonder about the whole screwless deal.
Every truck I've seen- since I've paid attention just recently- has screwed sides.
The screwless sides look clean but I wonder about long term adhesion.
All the new big rigs are using this new 3m technology to keep the cabs together. The new Kenworth K700 series Aerodyne was the first. Myt 2011 trailer did not have it, even as an option but my 2012 Hurricane does offer as an option so I got it. 6 year warranty to any issues and it looks beautiful.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailers