Sponsored by:

My Spec Box getting a Deman heart transplant

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Awesome Rick.
Was it a bear to install in the confines of a 986?
Looking forward to track report.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

The original used 3.4 that I had installed was making some bad noises so after some soul searching Rick and I decided to go with a crate 3.4 from Porsche which is now in the car and appears to be running great.

Rick has been really great throughout this process and without going into any details he made everything right! The motor comes with the Porsche updated twin IMS bearing and Rick installed the X51 pan and the Motorsport AOS (hell, why not?).

I drove out to Monticello yesterday after working all night Thursday and Rick had the car all cleaned up and ready for my 'break in.' I put about 150 miles on the car that afternoon without any issues. The power is fantastic and I'm already 9 seconds faster than with the 2.5. I'm certain in drier conditions there would be another 2 seconds on the table.

In my last session I was on a best lap and gunning against the clock. Bad idea. I lost it in the carousel at about 80 mph. I did a spectacular 1080 and left skidmarks that were impressive.....there were also some pretty good skidmarks on the pavement.

The car seriously needs an LSD now. In the tighter turns I can really light up the inboard wheel which if I was a drifter would probably be a cool thing. As Rick has pointed out, I would benefit from more rubber on the car now that it has 50% more power.

My wife and I were planning on driving Sunday but the forecast is calling for nearly a foot of snow there today. YIKES!

Last edited by Coochas; 10-29-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:51 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you ever get a cause of death on the original 2.5?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Did you ever get a cause of death on the original 2.5?
No post mortem but the coolant came out with the oil suggesting a cylinder wall failure. I believe Rick said there was also metal everywhere.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
......The car seriously needs an LSD now.....
So I'm guessing Irene knows what to get you for Christmas.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Maybe to finance the LSD, you could start seling joy rides at NHMS?

Glad to hear that Rick is a stand up guy and made everything right. If I had a (Paw)Boxster, I know who would be putting in my bigger motor!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:16 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
The car seriously needs an LSD now. In the tighter turns I can really light up the inboard wheel which if I was a drifter would probably be a cool thing. As Rick has pointed out, I would benefit from more rubber on the car now that it has 50% more power.
5sp or 6sp?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
5sp or 6sp?
It's a 5 spd.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread. I think that almost anyone who has made the conversion from 2.7 to 3.4 or like me the 3.2 to 3.6 has seen and dealt with all of these issues. Knock on wood, I've had the smoke but no fire.

You mentioned Rick stated running lower oil levels to help with the original AOS issues. I adapted that idea back in 2008 with the 3.6L That keeps the smoking to almost zero. I have the x51 pan baffles with the J3 Racing metal doors. I don't have an e-dipstick but I run the dip stick oil level at the bottom notch. I'm also able to log engine oil psi throughout a session via Motec and while the oil psi at this level fluctuates it seems to stay high when your on the throttle. Only dropping when you are off throttle, braking and turning. Then builds when you get back to power.

I'd love to put the motorsports AOS in as I've read, as well, that its a great fix to the issue.

Rick's is a little too far for me to run, I might try installing the MAOS at home over the next month or so for the 2012 season.

Quick Reply: My Spec Box getting a Deman heart transplant