Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not just another towing thread: Cultural Relativism?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not just another towing thread: Cultural Relativism?

Since time immemorial, or at least in the ~10yrs I've been on RL, towing threads are among those most likely to draw a wide range of strongly worded opinions. There are some out there who think it is reckless, irresponsible, even immoral to tow with less rig than a twin axle 24' featherlite and a diesel crew cab.

At the Oulton Gold Cup historic races in NE England last week, I was struck by how different the paddock 'kit' was compared with an equivalent US event. Although the cars represented the cream of British motorsports, the haulers and trailers were more likely to be small to average estate cars or SUVs pulling open or lightweight clamshell trailers than heavy duty trucks and toters.

See some representative photos. My favorite is the Jag D-type on a steel trailer behind a Range Rover. I don't think there are any D's left worth less than ~$3M, yet this rig would be below average at a typical US DE.

Now, the UK is very different than the US. Small, narrower roads, fewer highways, tight spaces. But I have to confess I found the more-with-less attitude really refreshing and challenging.

Love to hear from others in different cultures: what do your paddocks look like?
Attached Images    
Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great point of discussion Brandon. Nothing easier to deal with than our trailex and SUV.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I should have taken pics at the SCCA event at Barber last weekend. Some of the "rig's" were quite interesting and very low budget.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

How many 5+ hour tows with 4000+ ft mountain climbs does the average English vintage club racer do in a year?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting and nice to see some different rigs. Reminds me of the Bentley & Bugeye package on BaT recently. (Grey Poupon not part of the deal.)
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months back I went to drive a open testing day at the Nurburgring and the day before there was a VLN race (that Pat Long won by the way) but what struck me was the more laid back attitude of the racing crowd in Europe. I felt much more welcomed there than a lot of the tracks here. Also to your point I was struck by some of the towing set ups. Here's a pic I took of a guy towing his 996 cup that he just finished racing in the VLN race. His tow rig? A benzo!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:00 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived in the UK most Caravans (bumper pull Travel Trailers) were pulled with sedans. I've always thought of the disconnect between the 2 cultures. On the other hand pickups were almost unknown - the cargo carrier of choice would have been the Van (Bedfords normally).
Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
How many 5+ hour tows with 4000+ ft mountain climbs does the average English vintage club racer do in a year?
How many 5+ hour tows with 4000+ ft mountain climbs does the average US vintage club racer do in a year?

Maybe the Brit doesn't do as many as here but still it can be plenty, especially the historic guys who travel between different countries.

But like already said, it's in the culture, it's definitely more laid back, grass root and way less "pros" within track day folks.
You have track days with practically any type of cars, no corner workers and for a 50 euros, you get to drive for 8 hrs as much as you want...
Nobody take it wrong but here in US the attitude often is: bigger & more is better with guys pulling a 911 with a dually F-350 and a 40 foot enclosed trailer maybe 4 times a year to the track...

P.S. Before you read my sig, see that I own a F-350 and start a campaign, I know I own a F-350.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

When I raced in England I noticed the same thing. As has been noted, the tows there are shorter (if not quicker) over narrower roads. Some of the roads I took to the track were 1½ car wide with tall hedges flankking the surface and frequent turnouts for overtaking. I cannot imagine towing even a small trailer on those roads and happy I had arrive and drive deals. The "big" rigs are trucks, some tractor trailer trucks but many not. At the VLN there are plenty of bigger rigs, too. That said, the racers I know in England are envious of our 28' trailer with a/c pulled by a diesel crew cab pickup, and they are eager to try some of our tracks for serious endurance races.

Off topic, but what I miss most are the substantial endurance races in Europe. It's so much more time efficient to have a 4, 6, 12 or 24 hour race than three 30-minute races on a weekend! Maybe it just suits us old and slow guys better.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A big reason I tow a 24 ft trailer using 2500 pick-up is due to stuff I bring. When I started 10 years ago I towed using a Jeep Cherokee on a open trailer. I carried one tool box and that was all.

Now I carry 2 sets of tires in addition to the set on the car. I carry the same medium size tool box ( one just small enough to lift with both hands and carry to a truck/table), as well as an additional one handled tool box, 6 jack stands, 1 jack, 6 crates for spare parts and a spare gearbox. Plust I often carry 4 5 gallon gas cans along with standard race gear. I also carry two shade cannopies 10x10 each and chairs to sit on. Plust now a bicycle to get around the paddock quickly. I don't see these guys carrying all that stuff to the track?

Do I need it? Last time out I ran one set of tires and then changed one rear tire. Then changed to new set. Carrying multiple sets allows me to get max life out of each set since I don't need to arrive with one tires I guess will last the weekend. Spare parts and tools are handy if I have problem. I can fix it there and not lose and entire track weekend. Now with the enclosed trailer I can camp overnight in the trailer saving hotel costs.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

its funny you bring this up because yesterday i was reading Autosport magazine and in the back they have some cool trailers, i wish they had some of them over here.

I know alot of people love the trailex and suv but where do you put tools and spares? I am just wondering because i am looking at some trailers for my 997 and looking to see the smallest i could go (been there done that with go bigger and bigger and bigger when i drag raced). The open trailer looks so much easier but just wondering about the other crap you need (tents, chairs, tools, coolers, etc..)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
...tents, chairs, tools, coolers, etc...
See maybe here's the problem, how many of yourself is there (me, myself and I?) since you need to bring tents, chairs and coolers rather than just a tent, a chair and a cooler for yourself...?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

A friend of mine pulled a ladder out of his trailer to use in putting his awning on. If I have to bring a ladder to the track.. I quit.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is something to be said for traveling light. I always bring my chairs and tent and I end up using it for 5 minutes.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
A friend of mine pulled a ladder out of his trailer to use in putting his awning on. If I have to bring a ladder to the track.. I quit.
I have 24" push broom in my trailer. Good for pushing sand dirt out of the trailer. Remember I live in the desert and sand/dirt is a constant around here. No ladder though.....

Quick Reply: Not just another towing thread: Cultural Relativism?