Received 335 Likes on 195 Posts

Not me.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by finally!
928? and 944 off the track... Red one might be a 968?
I was there with a different team, that is a 968. There were zero 928's at Mid-Ohio this past weekend. At least I didn't see any.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Those pictures are the aftermath of the incident discussed in this thread. The red car is a 968, and the white car on its roof is a 944 S2.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Banned from the 928 Club for mistaking a 968 for a real Porsche.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to read you are ok Mike. Same for the other driver of course.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I wouldn’t want anyone to conclude from this thread that NASA tolerates contact or that cars are more prone to damage in a NASA race than with other sanctioning bodies. At fault contact results in a DQ in a NASA race. The definition of “at fault” is very clearly spelled out in the NASA rule book for almost every conceivable incident (they have diagrams). The GTS series also uses a 13/13 rule, however, all series are policed by a points system that identifies and deals with repeat offenders rapidly.

Cars are not required to pit after contact in SCCA, NASA, or most other independent sanctioning body races. There’s nothing wrong with a series requiring a pit in, but standard operating procedure the world over is that racers are permitted to continue at their discretion after contact.

I’ve raced with NASA Midwest and Great Lakes for 2 years. I’ve been to several PCA club races (as a DE participant) and IMHO the carnage rate is similar.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So, what if any penalties were administered over this wreck?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hard to believe the driver of the white car was a rookie. Somebody from NASA should have a serious sit down discussion with him. I'd be seriously considering a ban.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He may not be a rookie. He has lots of racing videos on his Vimeo page.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Per the CCR:

"13.3 Provisional License Revocation
The Race Director or the Event Chairman may revoke a Provisional License for any reason."

I assumed he was a rookie because he still had the R on his car.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

better be careful here guys, we've been down this road before; seems like a clear culprit, but we haven't heard his side yet.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Speedtoys
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 623 Posts

Mike:

Im acting in RD and Tech Chief roles at NASA Nats this year...stop by tech and say hi!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Speedtoys
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by KLR
FWIW, I wouldn’t want anyone to conclude from this thread that NASA tolerates contact or that cars are more prone to damage in a NASA race than with other sanctioning bodies. At fault contact results in a DQ in a NASA race. The definition of “at fault” is very clearly spelled out in the NASA rule book for almost every conceivable incident (they have diagrams). The GTS series also uses a 13/13 rule, however, all series are policed by a points system that identifies and deals with repeat offenders rapidly.

Cars are not required to pit after contact in SCCA, NASA, or most other independent sanctioning body races. There’s nothing wrong with a series requiring a pit in, but standard operating procedure the world over is that racers are permitted to continue at their discretion after contact.

I’ve raced with NASA Midwest and Great Lakes for 2 years. I’ve been to several PCA club races (as a DE participant) and IMHO the carnage rate is similar.

"At fault contact results in a DQ in a NASA race."

There are three levels of 'contact' that involve NASA penalties.

-Any contact causing deviation, with no damage, but loss of a position: Reposition.
-Any contact resulting in “damage” as defined by these guidelines: One (1) race suspension.
-Any contact resulting in a “punt” as defined by these guidelines: Disqualification.
-Any contact resulting in damage and punt: Disqualification and one (1) race suspension.

I DQ'd a racer this last weekend over contact/damage with loss of position..but I was overruled in an appeal where other evidence was presented, which is fine...we take it seriously, and if a region isnt taking it seriously, National Office needs to know about it.

Requiring a pit-in is a bad idea..because that affects the race. You deal with issues -after- a race, because its far too easy to be wrong up in the tower during the race. Observing the racer contact reports, in-car video, and viewing where the contact was on both cars..helps tell the larger story you really cant get most of the time from the tower.

One of the very few pit-in penalties that exists, are jumped starts requiring a stop & go.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Looked like you both were on the grass to the right by the time his car pops out in front.

What's up with those wings. Someone told me "all the guys in Ohio were running a big wing" He wasn't kidding!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
Glad they were both ok.

BMW got blacked flagged.

Race ended under FCY - worked out ok for some
I am glad that there was not a one lap blast to the checker like the one mid ohio race we had last year. That was nerve racking.

Ed

Quick Reply: Wild ride at Mid Ohio