Sponsored by:

Is this blocking or just being wide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The BWM driver needs to learn how to pass, and the 911 driver should be taken out and shot. If he knew how to drive that car, he would have run away and hid.
LOL, yes I do.

Im the BMW driver. Yes, I was frustrated. I didnt complain about blocking and actually went to talk to Christian Maloof (red 911) after the race. Ive made my car equally wide before so I know what was going on. This was my first time racing against him, so I was trying to get a feel for what he was doing.

I did try to setup some passes, but hard to take advantage with his defense and with what appeared to be better P-car gearing. Our cars were matched close. I definitely could have done better and been more assertive. Part of my strategy was being all over him trying to force him into a mistake.

Yes, I should have made the 4:20ish pass stick, but what you cant see is the car washed out under braking. I messed up and he went under me and took the position back.

And YES, DUH, the brake/throttle is swapped. Capt. Obvious there :P

Sunday race fared better, but this time I got frustrated from getting chopped. Ended up making a pass stick coming under the Honda bridge:

Old 07-22-2011, 02:15 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

now, i want to hear from porsche driver!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:16 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Blue BMW I feel you, amazed that you didn't hit him at all!
Red911 was not only blocking, what annoyed me most was he was braking too early and his racing line was totally mysterious? WTF!!!
However, there were some chances to pass him... IMO.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

a few instances, red 911 may have been a little blocking or too wide. but overall, he's very defensive not necessarily blocking.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I thought it was just racing. Sure he could let him by and maybe let the BMW pull him around the track. But the BMW could back up and get a run going maybe. But then maybe he would have to have pressure on him too from behind.

It was great to hear from Magnetic. I like it that you are up in there and that you were able to keep working on him. Good racing.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by TexasRider
But the BMW could back up and get a run going maybe. But then maybe he would have to have pressure on him too from behind.

It was great to hear from Magnetic. I like it that you are up in there and that you were able to keep working on him. Good racing.
There were a few times where I did lose momentum, but the majority of the time I stayed close and still had my run, it just wasnt enough. Trust me, if I knew I could get a better run, I would have backed off more.

What I SHOULD have done was not pop out so early. Hindsight is great. I also think I should have tried a couple other moves into madness. I'll have to see in August when both of us will be racing together again at MidOhio.

Anyhow, at VIR NASA Heat Wave now. Hopefully I put some of the suggestions in this thread to use this weekend
Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr. W, I did not know that you were on this forum or I would have consulted you before posting. I was behind your little battle before my engine let go on lap 10 and spun in my own oil at Madness (before being hit because there was apparantly no flag).
Old 07-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Mr. W, I did not know that you were on this forum or I would have consulted you before posting. I was behind your little battle before my engine let go on lap 10 and spun in my own oil at Madness (before being hit because there was apparantly no flag).
The Wonger is everywhere

I enjoy close racing and have on occasion made my car fairly wide, but that usually only occurs on the last few laps. The Sunday video shows just how wide the 911 is when there are 4 faster cars lined up behind it but unable to pass. IMO, that is uncalled for that early in a race.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by disasterman
HA! No worries, Im not sensitive to people posting videos or pictures of me

Sorry to hear about your car. Saw you over there and yes, the flags were a bit late on that one. Not only late, but varying.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know Eric, I though that was you. Maybe if I had read the caption on the video better.

Anyway, the 911 had so much more grip and power (based on what I saw in the video) that if the guy had just driven the car properly he should have motored off into the distance. His lines were so bad, he was certainly driving his mirrors, AND he was staying with the Cayman!!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

it bugs me whe folks see some great racing and then bash on the guy in front as a "blocker". he is not blocking. he is in front and has the right to drive narrow, or sloppy or whatever. if you are so much faster, pass him!!

your start was subpar, as 5 cars blew by and the red 911 was one of them (kind of further back too!), when you edged out to the dirt, with no room, just because you got a little jump on the flag. all you needed to do was to get on the red BMW's bumper and hang with him from the start,then the 911 would have been following you the entire race, posting on the BMW boards about how YOU were blocking.
sometimes the race is won at the start. we had a lot of close races , where who ever got the lead at the start and didnt make any mistakes would take the win. all our times were almost identical in qual.

all joshing aside, he has a slightly faster car, you are better under braking and the guy has the advantage of "figuring" out the leading car. you need to study more, figure out his weaknesses and then pounce. see how easily the 944 got by under braking? see how close you got under braking on that one turn where in the last race, you didnt get it done? those are you advantage spots. you dont do yourself any service by riding his bumper, taking bad lines and giving up throttle to keep from hitting him. you need to back off a little , do more of the sizzor manuvers and get off those turns with confidence with full throttle and go for it!
thats some good ole racing. i wouldnt say or feel a thing negative to the red porsche. blocking is making two moves before a turn, as in, going down low to take a early apex, and then as you are tryingt o pass, the guy, darts out in front to "block" and then take the traditional line.. or down a straight, going back and forth to keep you from passing.

Originally Posted by magnetic1
LOL, yes I do.

Im the BMW driver. Yes, I was frustrated. I didnt complain about blocking and actually went to talk to Christian Maloof (red 911) after the race. Ive made my car equally wide before so I know what was going on. This was my first time racing against him, so I was trying to get a feel for what he was doing.

I did try to setup some passes, but hard to take advantage with his defense and with what appeared to be better P-car gearing. Our cars were matched close. I definitely could have done better and been more assertive. Part of my strategy was being all over him trying to force him into a mistake.

Yes, I should have made the 4:20ish pass stick, but what you cant see is the car washed out under braking. I messed up and he went under me and took the position back.

And YES, DUH, the brake/throttle is swapped. Capt. Obvious there :P

Sunday race fared better, but this time I got frustrated from getting chopped. Ended up making a pass stick coming under the Honda bridge:

http://vimeo.com/26564998
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Blocking or not, to me it's not much fun to race this way for either car when it's from lap 1, it's frustrating and somewhat lame to have to defend or deal with for an entire club race...unless there's some close points race or $$ involved. I usually just let them go.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 832 Posts

Mark, you think that was "great racing"? Wow...
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Blocking or not, to me it's not much fun to race this way for either car when it's from lap 1, it's frustrating and somewhat lame to have to defend or deal with for an entire club race...unless there's some close points race or $$ involved. I usually just let them go.
It's the drawback to 13/13 club racing. If this was the pros, the red 911 would have been punted out of the way after the first few blocks. He got away with it because he could.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:27 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
it bugs me whe folks see some great racing and then bash on the guy in front as a "blocker". he is not blocking. he is in front and has the right to drive narrow, or sloppy or whatever. if you are so much faster, pass him!!

your start was subpar, as 5 cars blew by and the red 911 was one of them (kind of further back too!), when you edged out to the dirt, with no room, just because you got a little jump on the flag. all you needed to do was to get on the red BMW's bumper and hang with him from the start,then the 911 would have been following you the entire race, posting on the BMW boards about how YOU were blocking.
sometimes the race is won at the start. we had a lot of close races , where who ever got the lead at the start and didnt make any mistakes would take the win. all our times were almost identical in qual.

all joshing aside, he has a slightly faster car, you are better under braking and the guy has the advantage of "figuring" out the leading car. you need to study more, figure out his weaknesses and then pounce. see how easily the 944 got by under braking? see how close you got under braking on that one turn where in the last race, you didnt get it done? those are you advantage spots. you dont do yourself any service by riding his bumper, taking bad lines and giving up throttle to keep from hitting him. you need to back off a little , do more of the sizzor manuvers and get off those turns with confidence with full throttle and go for it!
thats some good ole racing. i wouldnt say or feel a thing negative to the red porsche. blocking is making two moves before a turn, as in, going down low to take a early apex, and then as you are tryingt o pass, the guy, darts out in front to "block" and then take the traditional line.. or down a straight, going back and forth to keep you from passing.
You are one very confused driver. Arm chair coaching the video doesn't help anyone. Eric is a good racer, and I've never seen you "battle" another car on track Mark. Post some video?

Going defensive is one thing, usually doesn't require more than 1-2 car widths off the normal line. If you are having to brake that shallow and apex that early to keep a car behind you....something else is wrong.

That was not great racing, that was multiple blocks per lap. As said, in a non-13/13 series he would have been punted. Using the 13/13 rule as a weapon on track is shameful, you have to respect the other racers around you.

Quick Reply: Is this blocking or just being wide?