Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horner to Webber: Our team. If you don't like it there are others that want the seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,724 Posts
Default Horner to Webber: Our team. If you don't like it there are others that want the seat

Horner accuses Webber of 'thinking only of himself'

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has angrily criticised Mark Webber for having 'absolutely unnecessarily risked a crash' in last weekend's British Grand Prix at Silverstone - and with it, potentially, his 2012 seat at the team...

It is still far from forgiven-and-forgotten and all sweetness-and-light at Red Bull Racing in the aftermath of last weekend's contentious British Grand Prix, it seems, with Christian Horner hitting out at Mark Webber for having selfishly and 'absolutely unnecessarily risked a crash'.

After Webber homed right in on the back of second-placed Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel with barely a handful of laps left to run at Silverstone on Sunday, the feisty Australian was instructed by his team over the pit-to-car radio to hold station – an order that he ignored 'probably four or five' times [see separate story – click here], proceeding to attack the current runaway F1 2011 World Championship leader for the runner-up spoils.

Team principal Horner has repeatedly stressed that the cautious tactic was adopted 'since we would have looked pretty stupid if they'd both ended up in the fence' given that his responsibility 'is to ensure that the team optimises its results' [see separate story – click here] – and he has angrily criticised Webber's disobedience.

“He risked the second place of Sebastian, his third place and 33 points for the team,” the Englishman told German newspaper Bild. “I understand that he's racing, but he also absolutely unnecessarily risked a crash. If all 500 people in the team thought only of themselves, we could never achieve our goals.”

Horner promised to hold discussions with Webber in private to clear the air – not the first time such talks have had to be conducted behind closed doors at Red Bull – and when asked about whether Webber's actions had similarly 'risked' his chances of retaining his seat at the Milton Keynes-based squad next year, he was evasive, conceding only that 'we will meet in late August and take a decision together'. Prior to the Silverstone weekend, the six-time grand prix-winner had looked to be edging increasingly closer to a contract renewal.

Horner reiterated that any team-mate to Vettel 'must bring harmony to the team', and concluded: “We don't have a driver problem; everyone in the pit-lane is already beating on our door, and we have time...”
Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Hire Rubens,he has this role down pat.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
5:04
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Weebber, but I want to see Kobayashi at RBR
Old 07-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark was not really faster than Seb. Seb backed off because of the gap between him and Fernando, which allowed Mark to catch up. The team asked him to back off because Seb had backed off.. and had Seb still been driving 100%, Mark would not have caught up. So really we had a completely unnecessary race going on.

Originally Posted by Autosport
Red Bull boss Mateschitz says Webber will stay on next year

By Gerhard Kuntschick and Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 11:12 GMT

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz says there are absolutely no doubts that Mark Webber will stay with the outfit next year, even after the team orders controversy.

The team was involved in a row after asking Webber to 'maintain the gap' when fighting for second place with team-mate Sebastian Vettel in the latter stages of the British Grand Prix.

Webber admitted after the race that he had ignored the orders and that he was not happy about them.

Despite the row, Mateschitz says Webber will get a new deal.

"Mark Webber will re-sign with us," Mateschitz told AUTOSPORT. "This will happen for sure. He is very popular within the team, he feels very comfortable and it is an excellent relationship. He knows this and we know it.

"To be honest, Mark has no better choice than the fastest car and we have no better choice for a fast driver."

The Red Bull boss also admitted he was fine with Webber having tried to overtake Vettel despite the order given to him.

"This is no problem for us," Mateschitz said. "Sebastian realised that Fernando Alonso was gone and could not be caught anymore, so he backed down. This let Mark close in. He would be a very bad racer had he not tried to attack and gain a position."
Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Clearly Sato is the perfect #2 at RBR.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I think they must ALWAYS have to have some drama in F1.

For starters neither Vettel or Webber were going to run down Alonzo and the RBR crew knew that. So they hold their position and maybe Alonzo breaks or
something. Vettel backs off to hold the lead. And now Webber attacks. Great IF he was going to run down Alonzo but obviously he was not. So they say just hold what we got. And he ignores it. It might be different IF they were tied, or close, etc. But he has had 9 races and about 50 laps to get ahead there.
Wrecking a couple of the RBR cars wont help Webbers frustration.

Team stuff has always been like this. You know it when you sign on. And then it begins. First guy you have to beat is generally your team mate. Then things like set up and parts come up. The team wants you to run something. You dont want to do it as it might not work. He runs it and then beats you. Then you say they crapped on you. These are grown men right? Then you use it and you dont win. Again the teams fault?

I dont reckon Webber going anywhere. I mean he is 2nd or 3rd. He just has to beat one guy. But that guy is going better at the moment. Happens like that.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont remember Horner having the same stance when Seb risked the same and took himself out. Webbo was leading the race at the time. Double standards???
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I dont remember Horner having the same stance when Seb risked the same and took himself out. Webbo was leading the race at the time. Double standards???
Double Standard? Maybe ... or how about "Lessons Learned".
Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Hire Rubens,he has this role down pat.
I totally agree, Rubens is the perfect second banana, just ask Schummy or Button
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Double Standard? Maybe ... or how about "Lessons Learned".
Only time will tell. We would need a Webbo leading Seb to see that. For now, his stance was very different for Seb than it is for Webbo.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Horner could have advised Vettel " Mark is clearly faster . . .let him by".
If he was in fact- avoiding possible crash.
But its more fun when drovers ignore team orders and they end up in big pile
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Horner could have advised Vettel " Mark is clearly faster . . .let him by".
+1 again.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

I think Webber bellyaches too much. He had a shot at the title last year and came up short. Vettel delivered by crushing Webber and Alonso at the last race in 2010. And he has dominated this season. So he has earned his #1 status. Webber needs to accept that or go somewhere else where he can be number one.

I'd like to see Kimi, Kobayashi, or Di Resta in that seat next year. Kobayashi led F1 in most cars passed on the track last season. He's earned himself a shot in a podium car.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I dont remember Horner having the same stance when Serb risked the same and took himself out. Webbo was leading the race at the time. Double standards???
The question marks are appropriate. Maybe there is a double standard, maybe not. Let's consider the circumstances - In last year's crash, both drivers were competing heads up w/o either having a significant points lead. Not so this year. Also, where were they in the race? Last year they were in the middle of the race with nothing decided. At Silverstone, it was the last few laps of the race and positions were already decided, assuming each driver maintained their current pace. No one was going to overtake FA. Why not maintain position and score points with both cars?

Horner is speaking as an employer. I imagine he fells dis-ed by Mark disobeying a direct order and then bragging about it the media.

And at the end of the day, even with Seb backing off, Webbo was not able to overtake him.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hilarious ... the owners must be laughing .....................

Quick Reply: Horner to Webber: Our team. If you don't like it there are others that want the seat