Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate PCA class for spec boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Alternate PCA class for spec boxster?

I have a friend running a spec boxster in the southeastern races, and the turnout has been low. Is there another class he could run in without making major changes?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason, unknown to me, that class has not caught on in the SE. The cars could run in GTS with NASA. I imagine PCA has a GT class they could slot into as well.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Given that PCA rules now allow the removal of interior trim and carpet, along with door glass, I would think he could run the car in E class. The SPB rules don't allow any mods to the engine, gearbox, brakes etc, that are not allowed in stock class. Will have to add ballast since 97-99 Boxsters in E have to weigh 2905. Put a passenger seat and harness in, then throw some Hoosiers on and go. I would be interesting to see if it would be competitive in E.

For a definitive answer, he could contact one of the PCA Club Racing stewards. Maybe Bruce Boeder (Steward B) will chime in.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

The problem is (probably) going to be the fiberglass top. That is not allowed in E class, so the car would have to run GT where I doubt it would be competitive due to the "spec" limitations.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Unless he's using a factory hardtop which some guys in Spec Box are.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Good point on the hardtop. Probably would have to be factory even though it doesn't say either way in the rule book. And I agree with Adam about the car not being competitive in GT.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:09 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If run at 2800 pds with driver it should be slot in gt-5s. With an agreesive tire set up and a good driver. it may be competative on lower hp tracks. Records from these two classes are about 3 seconds apart. Hoosiers > 150pds. so while not best in classs. could be fun and potential podium, depending who shows up
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

I'd suggest that anyone who has specific rule questions which can't be answered by reading the rule book (posted as a PDF on the club racing section of PCA.org) contact the national rules chair, Walt Fricke at: walterfricke@msn.com

SpecBoxsters clearly fit into GT classes and I believe NJcroc is correct in terms of weight to get them into GT5 but I have to confess I haven't done the math to confirm that.

As to whether a fiberglass top gets them bumped out of the stock class, I'd have to ask Walt.

This may fall under the "if the rules don't say it- don't do it" rule, at least in terms of running in stock class but I'd email Walt for confirmation, if I were the car owner.

My bet is there are going to be a bunch more Spec Boxsters showing up in PCA CR shortly in different parts of the country, as they are a fun and reasonably affordable car to race.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to think about is that it's hard to grow a class waiting for others to show up. Cars in class breed more cars. If you like the Spec Boxster concept, run in class, spread the good word about how much fun your having, and the class will grow around you. Someone's got to champion the class down there if it is to grow.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Excellent advice.

And the second advice would be to try to convince a few of your buddies to build similar cars.

Around the country we've seen pockets of specific class cars show up and its largely because a group of friends or fellow DE participants have seen a driver or two having fun in a specific class car and purchased or built those cars.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:10 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Excellent advice.

And the second advice would be to try to convince a few of your buddies to build similar cars.

Around the country we've seen pockets of specific class cars show up and its largely because a group of friends or fellow DE participants have seen a driver or two having fun in a specific class car and purchased or built those cars.
That being said, I have a really nice one for sale that one of your friends should buy and that would get the ball rolling!!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That really stinks....great class to run in and great idea. I was looking forward to running it in the future. Haven't done much this year though. Question: In the SE, what seems to be the most dominant classes to run in? (most participants)
BTW, GLWTS Tim!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Question: In the SE, what seems to be the most dominant classes to run in? (most participants)
Though far from a spec class, I think E class is still the biggest class anywhere in the country. And it's not all fluff either... many of the best club racers in PCA race in E. Getting on an E class podium is not easy at any track.

Quick Reply: Alternate PCA class for spec boxster?