Sponsored by:

VIR report

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 AM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default VIR report

Perfect weather at VIR this year!! Sunny, high 80's and a nice breeze. The only problem is the paddock is pretty empty. Only about 80 racers, down from 110 last year and 155 two years ago. Not a sustainable business model with ongoing discussions about combining the event with another group. Maybe a BMWCCA Club Race, maybe a Continental series test day, 944 Cup Race....
Any ideas on how to get you here next year are welcome.
Gotta go to the grid!!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Is the Zone 2 Club Race at VIR this weekend?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:56 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Potomac DE at watkins glen is great as well!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 AM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Yes - Zone 2 Club Race and DE at VIR this weekend - sprint races in a couple of hours. Field is way down from last year though and concerns about this event happening again next year unless we can figure out how to get more racers here.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They should move VIR about 7 hours north.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
mbranning
AutoX

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a way to hold it in April or early March (between Sebring and Road Atlanta).
Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mbranning
Find a way to hold it in April or early March (between Sebring and Road Atlanta).
Early March can be very questionable too, cold and rainy has high probability, but even snow can occur. Heck, I was there for an event first weekend of April this year and the cars were covered with frost in the mornings, got up to about 58F by 3pm. March & April is the rain season here, I would suggest Sept and Oct as the weather can be gorgeous then.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I went down for the Fall Fing a few years ago and it was a great weekend. You just never know. Maybe Late October or early November...
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 AM
FilthyF14
Instructor

The weather at VIR for the Club Race this weekend could not have been better. Highs in the 80's, partly cloudy, nice breeze. Actually chilly in the mornings. The record breaking heat last year was just that - a record breaker. Track conditions were great, the VIR staff and corner workers very accomodating, and great enthusiasm from the racers and DE folks that showed up. Even the food at the Saturday night dinner of steak and shrimp was awesome. Great support from the sponsors; expecially Penske Shocks, Bob Woodman Tires and OG Racing for coming through with awards.

Lots of discussion about the low turnout. Weather should not be the reason not to come to VIR. Would like any feedback on increasing turnout givet the fact of the late June; date since a date swap is not a realistic option. What about a two day event (including a VIR sponsored Test & Tune on the preceeding day) vice the traditional three day event? Combing with BMW CCA Club Race or some other sanctioned event with as NASA or SCCA?

Something needs to change to keep this race on the PCA calendar.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I concur. Absolutely perfect weekend. Temperature nice with cool breeze. The folks that came played very nicely IMHO. It was one of the best races I've been to. I frankly can't explain the low turnout. You guys put on a great race and seem to seem to increase driver "goodies" as turnout permits. VIR is a super track. I like NASA and RA August race, but have opted for this race and will continue to. RA is always hotter and too crowded, which doesn't explain why folks don't come to this race. If I could think of something else you could do I would tell you.
Thanks for a great weekend!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow,you guys sure are lucky with the weather ... Second DE track weekend in a row at Le Circuit Mont tremblant,QC with the Rennsport Region where we had more rain than dry track conditions,although we still had over 120 cars entered !
Great support from Speed Merchants who threw a BBQ and beer event on Saturday !

Still priceless,even in the rain ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

anyone going to post result sheets?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
The weather at VIR for the Club Race this weekend could not have been better. Highs in the 80's, partly cloudy, nice breeze. Actually chilly in the mornings. The record breaking heat last year was just that - a record breaker.
You got lucky on the weather. Next weekend the forecast temp is 98F. The good weather made prepping my car for Chin on Jul 4-5 a lot less draining, but I'm now praying that it won't be blistering hot for our event...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great weekend, perfect weather and tons of track time for us DE participants. Couldn't have asked for better. I wonder if time trials might be interesting for attracting more participants. We run TT with Nasa and it's a lot of fun and doesn't typically require the amount of preparation and expense as racing. You could easily find time to run it by shortening DE sessions, 25 minutes instead of 45 would probably be acceptable to most drivers.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
Weather should not be the reason not to come to VIR.
It's the same problem with the Road Atlanta race in March. For at least two of the last three years, there has been torrential rain at Road Atlanta. I'm sure many people don't attend because of the almost 100% possibility that at least part of the weekend is going to get rained out. If the Road Atlanta race was in Sept/Oct there would be over 200 people signed up for sure.

Mid Ohio in May (also rain) is getting a bad reputation too.

With the economy and PCA schedule the way they are, I'm sure a lot of racers are making tough decisions about which races they will attend based on the (likely) weather.

Quick Reply: VIR report