Watkins Glen Cayman Interseries crash at Connecticut PCA DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Courtesy maybe, but its not a requirement and those that choose to post a pic should not be chastised for doing so.
What's wrong with reminding folks that it's rude to post photos of other's misfortunes?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonmacs22
2. What the heck are you talking about with this comment? You would not want pics of your car posted without permission? Photos of an object in public are not yours to approve prior to public viewing. Really?! Maybe you were kidding and I just missed that somehow...
I'm going to guess that you've not had the misfortune of stuffing your car into a wall/armco/tree... yet.

I'm not too bad of a driver (others can attest), but it's happened to me. I can tell you it's not a lot of fun at all. On top of being out a lot of money, you question your skills. You feel like a dumbass. If you wreck, and are not embarrassed, if you don't question your skills and/or judgement, I'm not sure I want to be on the same track with you.

When you do wreck, having someone else post pictures, thereby giving the entire interweb the chance to evaluate your abilities for you will not be a good experience. Trust me.

After my recent wreck, my friends got my car off the wrecker, and stowed it away under cover so that gawkers couldn't come by and take pictures. They didn't ask me if they should do it. They took care of it while the medics checked me out. It told me a lot about the quality of the folks I hang with.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Thinking you are good has nothing to do with it. I was involved in an incident because of a mechanical, there is a video on youtube that shows it. I wasn't upset when I saw the vid, it happened and there is nothing I can do about it.

If you are being up front with your insurance company, then why would you care if they do their due diligence and researching the issue. Again, that person assumed the risk when they entered on a race track, if its insured that's an extra risk they are assuming.

Courtesy maybe, but its not a requirement and those that choose to post a pic should not be chastised for doing so.
Bull****.

And in your case, YOU weren't upset. that's fine. That's you.

You don't get to make that choice for someone else. No one else should either.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A picture on a flatbed does no good for anyone. If you want gore just watch the news
Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 92 Posts

Mr. Raptor - You are 100% correct.

And I don't recall a driver's meeting this season, where the topic wasn't explicitly mentioned. Saying it seemed quite unnecessary to me - like spitting into the wind or tugging on superman's cape.. But I guess I was wrong.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
The thread starter seems to have a thinly veiled hidden agenda.
Originally Posted by NJcroc
The photo and subject are unfortunatly just to draw views to an otherwise negative agenda.
Agreed, and in his attempt to discredit the host region he posts his fellow driver's misfortune on the internet for all to see. Not cool.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Also, FYI, race tracks are NOT "public settings". they are private property, rented by an organizing group. The organizing group is the only one thhat has "rights" in that setting.

Good grief.
Not really. If you can go in with nothing more than signing a waiver it's 'public' in regards to rights for photos the only ones that an organizing group 'might' have is commercial rights and even then outside of top organizations (NASCAR, GrandAm, etc.) it's a grey area.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Gator Bite
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J richard
Good to hear he's ok.

Most of the local groups here specifically ask that you not take or post pictures of incidents, or you will be asked to leave and not come back. Not because it's trying to hide the inherent danger of the sport, or the accident or anything else, just common courtesy. Imagine trying to talk to your insurance company when all they have to do is google your name and come up with hits complete with pictures and assumptions/discussions of what you did wrong to cause the crash...not really good for anyone involved including the club.

And how many of you guys think you are so good that you will never have an incident? I'd quit right now if you think you're that good...
Well put. I agree 100%. Posting that picture is beyond bad form. Put yourself in his shoes. What if this were your friend....? What if it were you....?

For the most part, every time I've been at a DE I've felt an incredible sense of camaraderie and friendship among attendees that comes from sharing the passion with others. Then I see this post of Wayne's busted up car and that all goes out the window. I was there and I wouldn't even dream of taking a picture like that. It's just lousy.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
What's wrong with reminding folks that it's rude to post photos of other's misfortunes?
You think its rude, others may not.

IMO, I hate when people go crowd around a wrecked car at a driving event. But, its not my place to try and force what I think is rude on other people.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Bull****.

And in your case, YOU weren't upset. that's fine. That's you.

You don't get to make that choice for someone else. No one else should either.
Exactly right, just as if people want to post pics of a car after an incident. YOU don't get to decide if the picture taker is wrong or right.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
What about despite the fact that I have a PCA club racing license? Two years ago I towed 7 hours for a DE to learn a prominent track with a prominent PCA region before an upcoming club race. I was assigned to the "Intermediate" White group. At first I thought no big deal; I've never seen so many GT2s and 3s in my life and the region has a stellar reputation. And then I had, by far, the two most frustrating track days of my life. Despite MULTIPLE instructor check-off rides (remember I have a PCA racing license in good standing), the PCA region refused to move me. The black group was "full." Evidently they don't move anyone during a weekend. "Sorry, we'll make sure you're in the Black group next time." It was a huge waste of money and I vowed then to never ever do another DE again.

Funny how when I showed up for the club race 5 months later, PCA allowed me to race without any "check-off rides."

Sorry... I've kept that bottled in now for two years... I feel better now.

Think again. Don't do it.
The fact that you have a racing license doesn't tell the CDI that you have the mentality and civility to behave properly in a DE setting. Racing and DE's are not the same thing, and folks coming in from the racing world have to conform to the DE environment. As a CDI, I would not put someone I didn't know out in the top run group without first having an instructor in the car with him to observe his behavior, regardless of his racing credentials. I've seen examples of experienced racers totally disregarding DE rules when they were let out on the track sight unseen.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We just had this exact argument two weeks ago!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Connecticut PCA threw all of the solo drivers, regardless of ability or car speed, into one big group yellow/white/orange and turned them loose. It was the worst example of speed-skill differential I have ever seen in a DE and created one frightening moment after another. Several of us from outside the Connecticut group asked for check rides into the black run group and were told that we would need SIX logged on-track sessions with instructors before we would be considered for advancement....despite the fact that most of us ran Black in our home clubs. I sure hope Wayne's car wasn't totaled because of slower traffic.
Just dealing with the facts here about the event, not Wayne's incident (he's fine BTW)
CVR had 45 drivers combined in the yellow solo/white run group at WGI (not yellow, orange (yellow solo) and white) as stated. Most regions run a combined yellow solo and white run groups at their events, and Wayne's incident had nothing to do with this. I gave the yellow solo/white classrooms both days and the only issue that was brought up, were point by's or lack of them....Like every region, we had drivers in everything from a 914-4 to GT3RS's and Turbos in this run group...
Regarding checkout rides: CVR has a two checkout ride policy...first checkout ride is for the run group you're in, and if you pass, second is in the next higher run group. I did one checkout ride for a out of region driver, and I wouldn't advance him as he was fast, but not smooth, very inconsistant, didn't hit the apex's and gave a potentially dangerous point by on the wrong side going into T9. Like every other region, we have our criteria for advancement and our criteria for advancement from white to black is:
Minimum of 12 days in White including 4 sessions with instructors plus 2 checkout rides, not the 6 logged in sessions with instructors as stated.
I also know that Wayne's incident had nothing to do with slower traffic and guess what? We all have to deal with slower traffic.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Agreed, and in his attempt to discredit the host region he posts his fellow driver's misfortune on the internet for all to see. Not cool.
Wicked poor taste by the OP. I've run with CVR for the past 7 years, instructed with them for the past 5, and have found their events to be well run, fun, and safe. Unfortunately, **** happens on the track. Not exactly sure of the OP's agenda, but karma is a bitch.

Mike
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA has issued a directive to the regions to discourage posting for the public photos or video of crashes. Regarding the right of taking and or posting photos in general, this is not a public event, this is a private event because you have to pay to attend and sign a waiver to enter the property. so its a private event on private property. The region hosting the event can impose any rule it would like relating to photos and posting. so if a club said you can't do it and you do, then they would be free to ban you from future events. If they posted a fine for the violation of a posting rule and you signed up for the event voluntarily agreeing to that condition "a contract" a fine would be upheld.
now besides the legal issue, I think its a matter of professional courtesy to withhold photos.Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two kinds of people...those who genuinely help and respect the privacy of others, and then there are those voyeuristic ******** who simply sit on their keyboards to post pics of others' misfortunes!!!

Which one do you want to be???

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Cayman Interseries crash at Connecticut PCA DE