Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Cayman Interseries crash at Connecticut PCA DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
that will be the first time anyone accused VR of being sensitive....
LOL! No, I didn't "report" the post. I simply agree with TRT41. Common courtesy would give a reasonable person pause before posting a picture like this w/o the car owner's permission.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Time for a "not this again" palm plant, VR.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

...oh and i hope he's ok. It looked like a nice car. It blows to have an off, even worse to have a crash. either you've had one and know how much it sucks or you are going to...best to be courteous about posting pics, lest it be you with you're pride an joy wrapped around the armco...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,004 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Connecticut PCA threw all of the solo drivers, regardless of ability or car speed, into one big group yellow/white/orange and turned them loose.
Was this at the end of the day/weekend? If so, that's pretty common with a lot of clubs as the number of entrants diminishes because people leave early.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
Time for a "not this again" palm plant, VR.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Oh, knock it off, Sean.
There is no right to privacy in a public setting. We all accept the risk when driving on a race track, one of the negatives is crashing. I'm sure many subjects in the "owned" pics you used probably didn't want their failures publicized across the internet.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

It's not about "rights". It's about common courtesy.

Also, FYI, race tracks are NOT "public settings". they are private property, rented by an organizing group. The organizing group is the only one thhat has "rights" in that setting.

Good grief.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

The driver is okay. He had his "bell rung" but the cage did it's job.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The thread starter seems to have a thinly veiled hidden agenda. Hope the pilot is OK.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
I sure hope Wayne's car wasn't totaled because of slower traffic.
At an HPDE, you will have slower traffic (esp. if you're driving that car!) and you should (but you may or may not) get a point by.

You want foot-to-the-floor HPDE action at the Glen? Get a non-turbo 944! ;-)

Glad to hear the driver is OK.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Good to hear he's ok.

Most of the local groups here specifically ask that you not take or post pictures of incidents, or you will be asked to leave and not come back. Not because it's trying to hide the inherent danger of the sport, or the accident or anything else, just common courtesy. Imagine trying to talk to your insurance company when all they have to do is google your name and come up with hits complete with pictures and assumptions/discussions of what you did wrong to cause the crash...not really good for anyone involved including the club.

And how many of you guys think you are so good that you will never have an incident? I'd quit right now if you think you're that good...
Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Several of us from outside the Connecticut group asked for check rides into the black run group and were told that we would need SIX logged on-track sessions with instructors before we would be considered for advancement....despite the fact that most of us ran Black in our home clubs.
What about despite the fact that I have a PCA club racing license? Two years ago I towed 7 hours for a DE to learn a prominent track with a prominent PCA region before an upcoming club race. I was assigned to the "Intermediate" White group. At first I thought no big deal; I've never seen so many GT2s and 3s in my life and the region has a stellar reputation. And then I had, by far, the two most frustrating track days of my life. Despite MULTIPLE instructor check-off rides (remember I have a PCA racing license in good standing), the PCA region refused to move me. The black group was "full." Evidently they don't move anyone during a weekend. "Sorry, we'll make sure you're in the Black group next time." It was a huge waste of money and I vowed then to never ever do another DE again.

Funny how when I showed up for the club race 5 months later, PCA allowed me to race without any "check-off rides."

Sorry... I've kept that bottled in now for two years... I feel better now.

Originally Posted by race911
I'm more bothered by statements I continually read about how PCA DEs are run. Especially when you're running out-of-region.

Sometimes I think "wouldn't it be nice to tow the car around the country and try different tracks".
Think again. Don't do it.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I did a DE recently to shake down the car and dust off the cob webs. In the instructors meeting and I assume drivers meeting, they basically told us if you photograph someone else's wrecked car and post the photos without permission of the owner, you would not be welcomed back.

What is the point of the photo in the original post?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The photo and subject are unfortunatly just to draw views to an otherwise negative agenda. Most groups discourage posting photos, since they are forever subject to search engines year later.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Good to hear he's ok.

Most of the local groups here specifically ask that you not take or post pictures of incidents, or you will be asked to leave and not come back. Not because it's trying to hide the inherent danger of the sport, or the accident or anything else, just common courtesy. Imagine trying to talk to your insurance company when all they have to do is google your name and come up with hits complete with pictures and assumptions/discussions of what you did wrong to cause the crash...not really good for anyone involved including the club.

And how many of you guys think you are so good that you will never have an incident? I'd quit right now if you think you're that good...
Thinking you are good has nothing to do with it. I was involved in an incident because of a mechanical, there is a video on youtube that shows it. I wasn't upset when I saw the vid, it happened and there is nothing I can do about it.

If you are being up front with your insurance company, then why would you care if they do their due diligence and researching the issue. Again, that person assumed the risk when they entered on a race track, if its insured that's an extra risk they are assuming.

Courtesy maybe, but its not a requirement and those that choose to post a pic should not be chastised for doing so.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Cayman Interseries crash at Connecticut PCA DE