Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Cayman Interseries crash at Connecticut PCA DE

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I've found that if you properly mow the lawn that the wife will then cut the grass.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

We are all in this sport due varying levels of passion. While I am wading into the deep end here, (sans water wings) and I am only an intermediate level driver, (not in black, no race license), how does posting someone's misfortunes on the internet do anything to promote sportsmanship? I am passionate about my driving and have a very long way to go to move forward and upward and try real hard to learn form those ahead of me......with more skill, regardless of their machine......I, for one, look at all your tail lights and ability as seasoned, skilled drivers as statesmen.......I learn a quite a bit by osmissis, I also ask questions and listen to gain insight...this is based upon skill, technique and respect for the better driver. Posting of other's misfortunes does nothing to promote sportsmanship or the camaraderie that I have come to enjoy, regardless of the rules, the nature of the venue or the perceived morality. Now, if you want to talk about an unfortunate event (i.e, shunt) with the hopes of learning, hey bring it on.....but, posting the misfortune of a fellow driver doesn't seem to serve that purpose...just my .02
Old 07-01-2011, 06:50 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I've found that if you properly mow the lawn that the wife will then cut the grass.
Oh dear....
Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Heres a pic of it all going wrong during one of my last mowing sessions, mower was unhurt, and the tractor had to be towed off the course. In discussions afterwards it appeared that he came in to the tall fescue carrying way too much blade and had his deck height all off. Once you're in the tall grass at that speed your are just a passenger. I was glad he had the right safety equipment as the grass there is much harder than it looks.

This kind of incident is almost enough to make a guy go back to a reel push mower, but once you have this in your blood its hard to give it up. I just don't understand they guys into weedwackers and leafblowers, just going around the edges all day long.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Heres a pic of it all going wrong during one of my last mowing sessions, mower was unhurt, and the tractor had to be towed off the course. In discussions afterwards it appeared that he came in to the tall fescue carrying way too much blade and had his deck height all off. Once you're in the tall grass at that speed your are just a passenger. I was glad he had the right safety equipment as the grass there is much harder than it looks.

This kind of incident is almost enough to make a guy go back to a reel push mower, but once you have this in your blood its hard to give it up. I just don't understand they guys into weedwackers and leafblowers, just going around the edges all day long.
I have a pic of that tractor after the crash but I'm not going to post it.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
With the weed-wacker????
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes that would be in bad taste without asking but he said it would be good to get the word out. The ensuing grass fire burned down the garage and a fence, I think he's still dealing with the insurance company, as Lawn Mowing Education Events are somewhat iffy on the coverage side of things. it was good the corner workers were fast to the scene...

I think this just underscores the inherent danger in Lawn maintenance and to always be ahead of the mower and not get complacent. He still isnt exactly sure what went wrong, we're trying to analyze the data and the onboard.

Unfortunately with the extended delay in cleaning up the yard the rest of the session was canceled...
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2011, 10:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Did he get the 13?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Best post ever on this forum
Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And we all know that when you lose it on grass, the car picks up speed. I saw that on a NASCAR special on SPEED last night. Really.

And with mower racing, it's always on grass, so the speeds are virtually infinite.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And we all know that when you lose it on grass, the car picks up speed. I saw that on a NASCAR special on SPEED last night. Really
Car cannot accelerate when you lose it on grass unless Newton's laws of physics don't apply there. What you are feeling, is the difference in the rate of DECELERATION.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he was poking fun at the NASCAR commentators .

This thread needed to be derailed - some good stuff up there, thanks to all.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Nope Rick, I heard that Nascar crew chief say that Dale Earnhardt pickuped up speed when going sideways in the "pass in the grass" (Newton be damned). Dale passed Isaac at the apex.

Besides, we had dinner with Andre last week, and by the time coffee came, I think he was trying to prove you pick up speed on wet grass. And he's a mathematician.

Last edited by mhm993; 07-03-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:36 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Car cannot accelerate when you lose it on grass unless Newton's laws of physics don't apply there. What you are feeling, is the difference in the rate of DECELERATION.
<I know. Was kidding.>
And I did hear it on a NASCAR special last night discussing the "Pass in the Grass." No doubt, when the rate of deceleration decreases it feels like speeding up but it's not.

PS: That video makes mower racing look pretty much like SRFs, except it cost less to run in front!

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Cayman Interseries crash at Connecticut PCA DE