Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Cayman Interseries crash at Connecticut PCA DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011 | 01:26 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

I received a PM from someone who was quite upset by what they thought I was condoning. I want to make this clear, I will not post a video or photo of a track "event" without the expressed permission of the person(s) videod or photographed, and really can't envision wanting to post something dramatic anyway.

I have a concern when organizations impose what constitutes censorship of something that is a protected right. When we are in public I feel that it is within an individual's right to photograph or video an "event".

I got this way after visiting my kid in New Hampshire - Live Free or Die
Old 06-30-2011 | 02:35 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

At a private track rented by a private entity, you are not "in public". If you took a pic of an incident on a public street and posted it, that would be different.
Old 06-30-2011 | 02:45 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisc
I have a concern when organizations impose what constitutes censorship of something that is a protected right. When we are in public I feel that it is within an individual's right to photograph or video an "event".

I got this way after visiting my kid in New Hampshire - Live Free or Die
If you decided to post pictures of an incident here at New Hampshire Motor Speedway I promise you we would exercise our right to decline your application to any future NCR PCA event.

Old 06-30-2011 | 02:53 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by winders
Yeah. I don't get what the hoopla is all about. If you wreck your car you wreck your car. Hiding it from view doesn't change that fact. The only time I would get pissed for someone taking and posting a picture is if they had malicious intent.

Scott
I agree. What's the big deal.. people are too sensitive.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2011 | 03:10 PM
M758
Race Director

My NASA region asks that we not take picture of crashes or post them on the net. I have no issues respecting my NASA regions wishes as I can see how those involved may not apperciate it. No need to get legal on me about it. They request it and I chose to comply.

Last edited by M758; 06-30-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2011 | 03:22 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Since when has belonging to PCA or any other sanctioning body been a right and not a privledge.
As such, if you want that privledge( and we are damned lucky in this country to have that opportunity) then there are usually rules that are expected to be followed.
What was it about Pete Trempers dialogue that some of you didn't understand?
10 pages of BS amongst supposedly intelligent and grown up people.
Get off the damn computer and go out and cut the lawn . It will prove to be alot more productive.
Tom B.
Old 06-30-2011 | 03:32 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Get off the damn computer and go out and cut the lawn . It will prove to be alot more productive.
Tom B.
How did you know my lawn needed mowing?

btw......agree with you 1,000%
Old 06-30-2011 | 04:01 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

[/U]
With all due respect, you're sounding childish. Show a little respect to the folks who work tirelessly to make these events happen. If you don't want to play by their rules, then go play somewhere else. It really is that simple.
Old 06-30-2011 | 04:01 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Since when has belonging to PCA or any other sanctioning body been a right and not a privledge.
As such, if you want that privledge( and we are damned lucky in this country to have that opportunity) then there are usually rules that are expected to be followed.
What was it about Pete Trempers dialogue that some of you didn't understand?
10 pages of BS amongst supposedly intelligent and grown up people.
Tom B.
Tom,

All I said is I don't understand what all the hoopla is about.

I raced motorcycles for many years and our shunts were often captured "on film" by photographers. Proofs of these images would be on their web sites for all to see if they cared to look. A major race publication even had a section where they showed sequences of some of the more spectacular shunts. Almost no one would publish photos of shunts where someone was badly injured or killed.

We are all adults. People are not immune from making mistakes. Sometimes we do so in our cars while driving fast and we have a shunt. People are going to hear about it. If you can't handle that, maybe you shouldn't be driving on the big track.

Now, I said I wouldn't care if someone posted a photos of a shunt of mine as long as they were not being malicious. I stand by that. I am not saying I am going to go out and take photos of someone else's shunt and post them. I have better things to do. But, if I have a shunt, I am not going to be particularly concerned if someone gets a picture of my banged up car. Yes, I probably made a mistake. I know I will be taking photos of my car if I damage it to remind me to not make that mistake again.

Pete Tremper used terms like "strongly discourage filming" and "request that any available film not be posted on the Internet". That's fine. Like I said, I won't be taking photos and I certainly won't be posting them. But, people certainly have gotten too sensitive.....

Finally, maybe you should stick to telling yourself what to do and not to do.

Scott
Old 06-30-2011 | 05:33 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shiners780
With all due respect, you're sounding childish. Show a little respect to the folks who work tirelessly to make these events happen. If you don't want to play by their rules, then go play somewhere else. It really is that simple.
I am sorry, I am wrong and have changed my opinion. I didn't intend to show disrespect to anyone and even said I would personally not take vids or pics but felt that making that a hard and fast law was wrong too. I have to go now to see if the wife was able to start the mower.
Old 06-30-2011 | 05:36 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I have to go now to see if the wife was able to start the mower.

Yer a good man...
Old 06-30-2011 | 05:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I have to go now to see if the wife was able to start the mower.
LOL! I have met your fine wife. You in some trouble, bwah!
Old 06-30-2011 | 05:50 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by shiners780
I would just say to be careful with those do it our way or the highway threats. Isnt PCA the ones trying to get people from outside of PCA now to run in their events because of lack of participation? Be careful of what you wish for.

We're all adults here, like mentioned numerous times. One's feelings may be hurt from photos, but these things happen. Move on.

Some say these photos are some kind of a threat to DEs and insurance. What insurance underwriter doesnt already know about the risk of crashes? Somehow by PCA not posting wreck pictures, it absolves them from risk? Pictures around the internet from other organizations somehow dont count? It doesnt make sense.
Old 06-30-2011 | 06:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by magnetic1
I would just say to be careful with those do it our way or the highway threats. Isnt PCA the ones trying to get people from outside of PCA now to run in their events because of lack of participation? Be careful of what you wish for.

We're all adults here, like mentioned numerous times. One's feelings may be hurt from photos, but these things happen. Move on.

Some say these photos are some kind of a threat to DEs and insurance. What insurance underwriter doesnt already know about the risk of crashes? Somehow by PCA not posting wreck pictures, it absolves them from risk? Pictures around the internet from other organizations somehow dont count? It doesnt make sense.
Taking pictures is one thing. Publishing them on the internet without permission is quite another.
Old 06-30-2011 | 06:42 PM
jcrist
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Taking pictures is one thing. Publishing them on the internet without permission is quite another.
Are we not clear on the rights to a photo in this situation? There must be enough lawyers on this forum to be able to straighten this out for you girls. SO many posts referencing the legality, makes no sense. Can so many "smart" folks be wrong?

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Cayman Interseries crash at Connecticut PCA DE