Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 05:22 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the most common mistake that you see in this corner? If a driver complains of understeer, I suppose he or she could be turning in late and then jumping hard on the gas as they are turning in.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Coming off the brakes too soon and too dramatically and then as the nose lifts, jumping on power, which further lifts the nose and shrinks the front contact patches
Old 07-21-2017, 04:01 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS, IMO suffers from poor grip almost everywhere and turn three is no exception. I use all of the lower curb at the apex and trackout, but be careful in the morning as there's dew and that paint is like ice.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Here's a great question/answer on Speed Secrets about picking up .1-.2 seconds per corner. It's in the brakes! https://speedsecrets.com/ask-ross/ho...tenths-faster/
Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Good stuff, Matt, thanks!

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 07-28-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:25 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Here's a great question/answer on Speed Secrets about picking up .1-.2 seconds per corner. It's in the brakes! https://speedsecrets.com/ask-ross/ho...tenths-faster/
Thanks for posting this. I've got one more shot at beating 2 min at TWS before the opportunity disappears forever.

-Mike
Old 07-28-2017, 05:34 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Thanks for posting this. I've got one more shot at beating 2 min at TWS before the opportunity disappears forever.

-Mike
you can do it!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
you can do it!
+1 !!!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:34 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1 !!!
So, just before I move back to Texas, TWS is gonna be gone? They really mean it this time? Bummer!
Old 07-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yeah. Truly sucks
Old 08-10-2017, 12:17 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Yet another reason to look ahead

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

Apparently on some things I'm a slow learner. Been driving and instructing for a while now and by far the best tools in my tool kit are those that improve vision. The car goes where the eyes go, the farther you look, the more time and things you can do to alter the car's path, etc...

So last Tuesday I was trying some of the tips reference above and making some good progress. Part of that was being extra vigilant on vision and then this happened at ~19 sec:

There are a lot of guys I share the track with who do this kind of car control practically without thinking about it and it also does not bother them. Even after so many years, my common first reaction to this is a lump in the pit of my stomach - I usually also lift. What is unique about the above is neither of those things happened. Caught the stepout, no lift, no lump, no drama. At the time it happened, my eyes were out the left side window and I was looking waaayyy down the track.

In thinking back, the engineer in me reasons that by looking farther down the track I was much more in tune/aware of the car's rotation and thus, more in front of the car. The key to catching an oversteer event is being far enough in front of it that the controls still have authority. Seeing the event sooner also reduces the surprise effect, which I know my brain does not like. Think you are standing at the hub of a huge wheel and you are trying to judge differences in its speed of rotation - it is a lot easier to do if you are looking out at the rim than if you are looking down at your feet. The eye can sense the car's rotational speed is higher than it should be and combined with the data coming from the butt the brain can take corrective action.

This is probably the overthought version, but that's the way my brain is wired. I envy the people that can do this so well without thinking apparently about it.

-Mike

P.S. No didn't get to 2:00, but ran a nice tidy set of 2:03s with a 2:02 in there in 97 degree heat in a single session.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Apparently on some things I'm a slow learner. Been driving and instructing for a while now and by far the best tools in my tool kit are those that improve vision. The car goes where the eyes go, the farther you look, the more time and things you can do to alter the car's path, etc...

So last Tuesday I was trying some of the tips reference above and making some good progress. Part of that was being extra vigilant on vision and then this happened at ~19 sec:

Drama-less step out.

There are a lot of guys I share the track with who do this kind of car control practically without thinking about it and it also does not bother them. Even after so many years, my common first reaction to this is a lump in the pit of my stomach - I usually also lift. What is unique about the above is neither of those things happened. Caught the stepout, no lift, no lump, no drama. At the time it happened, my eyes were out the left side window and I was looking waaayyy down the track.

In thinking back, the engineer in me reasons that by looking farther down the track I was much more in tune/aware of the car's rotation and thus, more in front of the car. The key to catching an oversteer event is being far enough in front of it that the controls still have authority. Seeing the event sooner also reduces the surprise effect, which I know my brain does not like. Think you are standing at the hub of a huge wheel and you are trying to judge differences in its speed of rotation - it is a lot easier to do if you are looking out at the rim than if you are looking down at your feet. The eye can sense the car's rotational speed is higher than it should be and combined with the data coming from the butt the brain can take corrective action.

This is probably the overthought version, but that's the way my brain is wired. I envy the people that can do this so well without thinking apparently about it.

-Mike

P.S. No didn't get to 2:00, but ran a nice tidy set of 2:03s with a 2:02 in there in 97 degree heat in a single session.
Underlined, FTW!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 PM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You reminded me of this video I saw last year. Might find it useful.

Drama-less step out.

-Mike

Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Good job, Mike!
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 PM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Did you remember that after the session or not until you watched the video? If the latter, then congratulations - I suggest that you are at the point of instinct and not even conscious where you are looking; your body sensed the rear tires losing traction and the hundreds or thousands of laps you have done allowed your brain to make the correction w/o you even your being aware of it. I've gotten good at catching slides but I too often do a little lift when a quick steering input is all that is needed. Gotta work on that.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH