Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM
959fan
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can also see how steady the lateral G holds. Leh is pretty much at the limit all the times. a lot of it has to do with how the car is setup too. notice how when most of the he is working the steering wheel the throttle is either off, or he was modulating it. he is balancing the car with combination of steering and throttle.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 959fan
you can also see how steady the lateral G holds. Leh is pretty much at the limit all the times. a lot of it has to do with how the car is setup too. notice how when most of the he is working the steering wheel the throttle is either off, or he was modulating it. he is balancing the car with combination of steering and throttle.
I noticed that too. In my view, the closer to the limit the driver is keeping the car, the bumpier and more undulating the circuit, the more variable the surface grip, the stiffer the suspension and tires, and the less electronic chassis controls are doing the driver's work for him - the more actively the driver has to be working the controls (both pre-emptively and reactively) to get the most out of the car.

Ideally, always putting in just as much as is needed, but no more - as Scott pointed out nicely earlier:

Originally Posted by winders
You saw as much as you have too. What looks like a busy mess from inside the car looks smooth and fast from outside.....and that is what matters!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 PM
959fan
Advanced

you used the keyword there - preemptively. truly talented drivers get accustomed to a car's handling characteristics and can predict the car's behavior based on the combination of his inputs (gas, brake, steering) and his experience from previous laps. you really can't teach this level of stuff it is mostly natural.

so sometimes guys like Leh seem to saw the wheel a lot but it is because he already knew how the car will probably react in that corner and he's neutralizing it before it happens, or neutralizing in real time. this will allow the maximum G circle possible.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:49 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truly talented drivers get accustomed to a car's handling characteristics and can predict the car's behavior based on the combination of his inputs (gas, brake, steering) and his experience from previous laps. you really can't teach this level of stuff it is mostly natural.

so sometimes guys like Leh seem to saw the wheel a lot but it is because he already knew how the car will probably react in that corner and he's neutralizing it before it happens, or neutralizing in real time. this will allow the maximum G circle possible.
I'm hoping some of the coaches here will weigh in with their experience, but whatever sensitivity and talent is there can be developed IMO. Autocross and rallycross, for instance, pretty much force the learning of some prediction and preemptive correction skills, which can then be dialed down and finessed into someone's track driving too.

Once sensitized, even just basic practice during normal public road driving helps too I reckon. OK, that's not normally near the grip limit, but we can still aim to smooth Gs over bumps, potholes, and pavement transitions. This may sound silly, but I am lucky enough to have a few curved bridges on the 50 and 60 MPH sections of my commute, with their large and recessed steel expansion joints cutting across the lanes in the bends. OK, legal requirements and common sense mean we are usually only doing maybe 4 or 5 tenths on the commute, but for many years I've been using those joints to help develop my timing and feel for the minimum input required to smooth out the G and yaw variations when crossing them under lateral G. At first I was over (pre-)correcting, but have now pared it down to a momentary relaxation of steering lock through about an inch of steering wheel travel. It's very brief, so the effect lasts for not much more than a car-length or two as we traverse those metal grooves, but that little input smooths out most of the lateral judder as we cross, and moves us less than half a foot or so across our lane.

Yes, I've done my share of autocross and even had a dab at rallycross, but practicing those simple touches on my commute every working day for years - at least a dozen times a day (plus at least as many simple mid-bend pavement transitions) - seems to be helping develop my sensitivity and timing for 'pre-corrections' generally. The ongoing challenge of course is to pare my inputs down to the optimum, but no further.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,049 Likes on 1,789 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I'm hoping some of the coaches here will weigh in with their experience, but whatever sensitivity and talent is there can be developed IMO. Autocross and rallycross, for instance, pretty much force the learning of some prediction and preemptive correction skills, which can then be dialed down and finessed into someone's track driving too.

Once sensitized, even just basic practice during normal public road driving helps too I reckon. OK, that's not normally near the grip limit, but we can still aim to smooth Gs over bumps, potholes, and pavement transitions. This may sound silly, but I am lucky enough to have a few curved bridges on the 50 and 60 MPH sections of my commute, with their large and recessed steel expansion joints cutting across the lanes in the bends. OK, legal requirements and common sense mean we are usually only doing maybe 4 or 5 tenths on the commute, but for many years I've been using those joints to help develop my timing and feel for the minimum input required to smooth out the G and yaw variations when crossing them under lateral G. At first I was over (pre-)correcting, but have now pared it down to a momentary relaxation of steering lock through about an inch of steering wheel travel. It's very brief, so the effect lasts for not much more than a car-length or two as we traverse those metal grooves, but that little input smooths out most of the lateral judder as we cross, and moves us less than half a foot or so across our lane.

Yes, I've done my share of autocross and even had a dab at rallycross, but practicing those simple touches on my commute every working day for years - at least a dozen times a day (plus at least as many simple mid-bend pavement transitions) - seems to be helping develop my sensitivity and timing for 'pre-corrections' generally. The ongoing challenge of course is to pare my inputs down to the optimum, but no further.
I have found your experience to be very valuable, and true.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 AM
959fan
Advanced

Originally Posted by 996tnz

Yeah I always tell my students it is mostly just seat time. We can all get there eventually... well maybe not all the way there but most students can do way better than they think they can initially. But the natural talents have better instincts and gets there faster than the average people. Some way faster than others. And others are either stubborn in the ways to adapt or some simply don't have the desire to go really really fast they are more than happy to drive around 7 to 8/10th and have a good jolly time and call it a day. Nothing wrong with that either.

Out of hundreds of students I've work with since year 2000 only 1 truly stood out and it was a girl about 18 back in 2005. Her dad is really cool dude he raced in Baja (and still does). I helped him out at Street of Willows back then at some random event and he liked the way I instruct so he asked to to teach his daughter. She was a super fast learner and every thing I told her to do she adopted and executed perfectly pretty much immediately. That left me quite an impression... too bad she wasn't really serious with HPDE or racing though, she just had fun. Later on in her life she actually got into motocross and off road dirt biking. Perhaps not competitively but still pretty awesome as a hobby...

Autox is a fantastic way to train. Relatively expensive as well the only draw back is you pretty much spend an entire day for like ~10 minutes of seat time. But those 10 minutes are intense and you learn a lot. Usually I recommend doing those Evolution schools (I did level 1, 2, and back in late 1990's when the school first started). Highly valuable and during the school and special practice days you get way more seat time. I know plenty of autox hot shoe and that move on and become awesome at road racing. But never road racers that go and win autox (become national champs, anyone know of any?). Autox is very hard. People who never try it seriously tend to underestimate how hard it is to shave a 10th or two... and in USA we have some seriously good autox champs... super competitive.

I call seat time = calibration of our own internal G butt meter. :P

Rally is even better way to understand and feel the dynamics of your car. I haven't got a chance to try rally. Couple of my friends did the DirtFish rally school and loved it. Ice driving also seem fun as heck. Audi club has it in the winter times. It's called Winter Driving School or something.

Rain training is also awesome but one thing annoying is the mandatory both windows down requirement in USA HPDE (thanks to the stupid lawsuit happy American mentality). You can go like at low speeds and slide around and everything happens in slow motion. A great way to learn. I think that's a hugely underutilized training method. I wish more tracks would have water sprayer and have a section of track available for wet training.... that would be awesome.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,245 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Rain training is also awesome but one thing annoying is the mandatory both windows down requirement in USA HPDE (thanks to the stupid lawsuit happy American mentality). You can go like at low speeds and slide around and everything happens in slow motion. A great way to learn. I think that's a hugely underutilized training method. I wish more tracks would have water sprayer and have a section of track available for wet training.... that would be awesome.
Some drivers avoid a wet track. I was at an event recently where it rained all day on the first day. During my sessions, I was the only one out there ...
Old 04-10-2017, 08:49 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

I have often wondered if European club racers are better than Americans because they spend so much time racing in the rain. Here in California you can get away with only knowing how to drive your car at 7/10 since it's unlikely you'll ever have a racing weekend where it's raining.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:37 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

If you want a little slick surface just get some old corvettes or retired NASCAR race cars and they will inevitably blow up and make the track nice and greasy for you.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:06 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Good thing that never happens to Porsches...

Old 04-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Haha cough 944 Turbos cough ...
Old 04-12-2017, 09:17 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
If you want a little slick surface just get some old corvettes or retired NASCAR race cars and they will inevitably blow up and make the track nice and greasy for you.
I was instructing at MSRH when the Boxter in front of us blew the motor so bad that I instructed my student *very* strongly to drive off track. "Go left! Go left!" "In the grass?" "Yes, in the grass!".

It started with a small puff of smoke, and then escalated quickly. I could clearly see metal bits, oil, and coolant pouring out of the rear wheel wells. Cleanup took a long time.

-Mike
Old 05-09-2017, 03:02 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Default Using berms

Just wanting to get others thoughts on riding up berms at the apexes of slow corners.

I was at Buttonwillow this weekend and was using the berms in all the slow corners. It really upsets the car, but in a slow corner it feels like the right thing to do because being able to cut the apex seems to be a big advantage in a slow corner. I avoided doing this in fast corners.

That said, I wish I had had the time to try laps without using them and see what the difference in lap times is.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:07 PM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Rather than fast vs slow corner try to consider what percentage wider you are making the corner by using the apex curb. In other words, how much can you increase your apex speed. For example, although slow, in a tight hairpin, using the curb won't increase apex speed. Turn 3 at Road Atlanta is pretty fast, but using the apex curb can potentially increase your speed a fair amount because it's a short and narrow corner.

In general. look to use the curb more where the track is narrower, and/or the corner is short (in time). Chicanes normally benefit from curb use for these reasons.

Whether or not using the curb is faster varies based on car and setup too so there isn't an easy rule of thumb. I generally just recommend to look at what the fast guys in a certain car are doing as they have most likely worked out which is faster. Also sometimes using the curb may give you almost the exact same time as not using it. You widened the track but lost some grip so it ends up a wash.

In general, I typically avoid curbs unless they are clearly faster. You may gain .05 by bouncing over the curb just right, but could lose a good bit more by bouncing over it just wrong.

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Just wanting to get others thoughts on riding up berms at the apexes of slow corners.

I was at Buttonwillow this weekend and was using the berms in all the slow corners. It really upsets the car, but in a slow corner it feels like the right thing to do because being able to cut the apex seems to be a big advantage in a slow corner. I avoided doing this in fast corners.

That said, I wish I had had the time to try laps without using them and see what the difference in lap times is.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I concur with Adam.
Also depends on the character of the curbs themselves. Some look inviting but can be ugly in certain cars. Examples are 1 and 9 at COTA

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH