Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 830 Posts

Ryan, very nice driving as usual. That motor in that car is really a monster!

OK, so here are some small suggestions based on things I am seeing where there is some time, in no particular order:

After the bridge, start bending the car into 3 a tiny bit sooner. This will straighten the car out more between 3 and 4, and allow you to remain at WOT a bit longer, and brake less for 4

Get on a bit more throttle sooner before the gantry & second apex of 6 to pull a bit of the weight off the LF tire, reduce understeer, and increase velocity

Use way more apex of 7 and then let the car out...release way more steering...let the car track all the way out. Don't worry about setting up for 8. If you let the car out, you'll be along the white line all the way track right at the 7 track out, where lots of grip comes back. Then just drive straight up the hill into the braking zone of 8 and start straddling the curb way sooner. Remember, 8 is sort of a connector between the 1-7 segment and the 9-11 segment. Get it done with as quickly and efficiently as possible to set up for 9, using the hill to aid braking. There is a ton of time here. I worked a bunch last weekend on that segment with my 991 Cup guy and we picked up huge time here.

Use way more apex rumble strip of 11...this allows you to straighten the wheel sooner and keep from using so much track out rumble, which does not aid ecceleration

Apex about 1' later in 12, for the same reason

Add a bit more steering half way around the apex of 19 to get a better track out trajectory, whhich allows wheel straightening sooner

Same in 20...you're early and it's hurting exit speed

Old 10-06-2016, 09:01 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I can't say I've driven a lot of tracks (TWS, MSRH, HHR & COTA), but of those, COTA is the only one that consistently fools me into turning too early. The visual presentation for all those tracks but COTA is sufficient to put the car in the right place, but for me, COTA requires the vision, and a bit of thought.

And Ryan, that was a nice, tidy lap.

-Mike
Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ryan, very nice driving as usual. That motor in that car is really a monster!

OK, so here are some small suggestions based on things I am seeing where there is some time, in no particular order:

After the bridge, start bending the car into 3 a tiny bit sooner. This will straighten the car out more between 3 and 4, and allow you to remain at WOT a bit longer, and brake less for 4

Get on a bit more throttle sooner before the gantry & second apex of 6 to pull a bit of the weight off the LF tire, reduce understeer, and increase velocity

Use way more apex of 7 and then let the car out...release way more steering...let the car track all the way out. Don't worry about setting up for 8. If you let the car out, you'll be along the white line all the way track right at the 7 track out, where lots of grip comes back. Then just drive straight up the hill into the braking zone of 8 and start straddling the curb way sooner. Remember, 8 is sort of a connector between the 1-7 segment and the 9-11 segment. Get it done with as quickly and efficiently as possible to set up for 9, using the hill to aid braking. There is a ton of time here. I worked a bunch last weekend on that segment with my 991 Cup guy and we picked up huge time here.

Use way more apex rumble strip of 11...this allows you to straighten the wheel sooner and keep from using so much track out rumble, which does not aid ecceleration

Apex about 1' later in 12, for the same reason

Add a bit more steering half way around the apex of 19 to get a better track out trajectory, whhich allows wheel straightening sooner

Do I have to pay pal you now? Is that how this works?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Haha! You can buy drinks!
Old 10-08-2016, 06:33 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 172 Posts

So how did it go?
So, interesting day yesterday. When I left the track I was really frustrated because I didn't think I was making any progress because I wasn't getting near my personal best.

But when I came home and started digging through the data I realized that while my quickest laptime wasn't dropping my average lap times are. The quickest lap/personal best has always been somewhat of an outlier time (and sort of has to be by definition somehwat of an outlier) but my average lap is getting closer to my personal best and I guess I should be quite pleased with that.

As for your notes, I focused on opening up through/after 4 and the line through 6-9 and didn't spend any time on trailbraking into 3 because I wanted my entry to 4 to be consistent with what I've done before. I think it went well. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Fantastic observation! In fact, I agree with you, when personal bests are outliers, it's more accidental. When we can drive a bunch of laps very close to our PB, that consistency shows that we are significantly improving our driving. And IMO this is where TBL's (theoretical best laps, provided by some data systems) are of real use.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:06 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
So, interesting day yesterday. When I left the track I was really frustrated because I didn't think I was making any progress because I wasn't getting near my personal best.

But when I came home and started digging through the data I realized that while my quickest laptime wasn't dropping my average lap times are. The quickest lap/personal best has always been somewhat of an outlier time (and sort of has to be by definition somehwat of an outlier) but my average lap is getting closer to my personal best and I guess I should be quite pleased with that.
Same here. I keep telling myself I need to look at the data while at the track, but never seem to find the time. Yep, PBs tend to be outliers, a moment of brilliance, but very difficult to repeat. I've learned to watch my average laptimes as well.

Another factor is conditions change. There has to be some contribution to a PB based on them. What I've taken to is observing my place in my pier group so I note where I run in the instructor run group. Climbing that ladder is actually more satisfying than a PB. "Hey, I'm faster than him now." "That guy still gets by me, but I can keep in in sight now for a few laps rather than him just being by and gone." etc...

Another thing worth noting is can you run the same PBish lap times with less drama?

-Mike
Old 10-09-2016, 02:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,843 Posts

THIS is the problem with being "a prisoner to a lap time."

When drivers don't do a "new" personal best, sometimes they take that as a setback, when there are MANY more variables in play that affect the ability to DO that...

The average is a MUCH better way to track progress. Also, WHEN and how quickly you settle into a good average is important, too.

It's not enough to look at (and boast of) TBL's. They are a valuable indicator of potential, because they're based on what you DID, broken down into smaller pieces. Drivers MUST work on working out WHY some sectors are better than others, WHICH sectors show the greatest variation, and design (and execute) a plan to implement, in a much more targeted way, smaller achievements. THEN, they can put it together... And set that PB on a more regular basis.

A lap time is a sum total of dozens, sometimes hundreds of individual skill (and task) executions.

Improve the quality of the skills, as well as increase the accuracy and detail of the task, and the lap time will improve.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

^ yep ^
Old 10-27-2016, 04:57 AM
959fan
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Coach, great Q&A throughout this thread. I have a question for you. People seem to hate GR, what exactly is wrong with him and how do we keep guys like him away in our club?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Hi, Frank
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 959fan
Hey Coach, great Q&A throughout this thread. I have a question for you. People seem to hate GR, what exactly is wrong with him and how do we keep guys like him away in our club?
By having you go back to wherever you came from?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

When drivers don't do a "new" personal best, sometimes they take that as a setback, when there are MANY more variables in play that affect the ability to DO that...

The average is a MUCH better way to track progress. Also, WHEN and how quickly you settle into a good average is important, too.

It's not enough to look at (and boast of) TBL's. They are a valuable indicator of potential, because they're based on what you DID, broken down into smaller pieces. Drivers MUST work on working out WHY some sectors are better than others, WHICH sectors show the greatest variation, and design (and execute) a plan to implement, in a much more targeted way, smaller achievements. THEN, they can put it together... And set that PB on a more regular basis.

A lap time is a sum total of dozens, sometimes hundreds of individual skill (and task) executions.

Improve the quality of the skills, as well as increase the accuracy and detail of the task, and the lap time will improve.

One thing I'm trying to get my mind around right now is how to break down and plan to close the gap between either PB or Avg lap time and my virtual best lap time. Currently I've got what seems like a huge difference between the two (4s in a 1:25s lap).

I've been concentrating on building consistency and it's helped a lot by reducing my variations lap to lap, but I've still got that big gap between actual best lap and virtual best. Any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2016, 11:04 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 172 Posts

Fantastic observation! In fact, I agree with you, when personal bests are outliers, it's more accidental. When we can drive a bunch of laps very close to our PB, that consistency shows that we are significantly improving our driving. And IMO this is where TBL's (theoretical best laps, provided by some data systems) are of real use.
Originally Posted by ProCoach

Follow up!

Went out for what is probably my last event of the year. By shifting my focus to execution and fundamentals I've dropped my average lap time by about 1.5 seconds and ran 5 laps yesterday under my previous personal best time. Of course my GoPro and the universe conspired to fail to record exactly 5 laps yesterday, one of which is my new personal best.

Look ahead, be quick but smooth in and out of the brakes, get onto the throttle once and smoothly but still rapidly, look ahead some more. Well how about that, you drive quicker.

Thanks to Peter and Dave for participating in this forum and the other members who try and get everyone here to be better and do better. A special thanks to Manifold who spends too much time thinking about how I can get my crapbox Miata around a track more efficiently.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Awesome! Congrats!

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH