Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:10 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Coach!!!

In your professional and and experienced opinion, should I buy Hankook Ventus, BFG R1S, or Hoosier R7 for my track car? I'm a novice driver, just looking for the most grip, but would like them to last 2 event weekends...
Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 PM
bldn10
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

In have run 1 set of new R7s and several sets of takeoff Hankook C51s. There is an inverse relationship between grip and longevity. Hankooks are cheaper and will last maybe an additional event but even the Hoosiers will get you 3. Nitto NT-01 most bang for the buck.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:14 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanZ06
Hey Coach!!!

In your professional and and experienced opinion, should I buy Hankook Ventus, BFG R1S, or Hoosier R7 for my track car? I'm a novice driver, just looking for the most grip, but would like them to last 2 event weekends...
In my non-professional, but slightly experienced opinion, you should not be looking for the 'most grip', but that's just me. Problem with too much grip for a self-avowed 'novice driver', your words not mine, is that it might hide some driving shortcomings.

Sorry, not preaching, but just had to say that.

I have no experience with the Hankooks, but can say that you will do a lot more than 2 events with the BFG's; those things last forever.

Have fun.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:20 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Hey Coach!!!

As a novice, you don't need the most grip. You need a predictable tire that will hold up (not chunk) and likely need something that won't break the bank.

Hankook Ventus isn't enough of a description as there are (among others)
  • Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
  • Hankook Ventus RS-3
  • Hankook Ventus Z214 C51 (Roadrace)
  • Hankook Ventus Z214 C71 (Autocross)

Of the 'kooks, the V12 is a good introductory tire for a street/track car. Good in the wet. As speeds and your skills go up they will start chunking and you will need to find something else. The RS-3 is a step up and is fairly immune from chunking. With tread depth it is decent in the wet, but gets poor in the wet rather quickly with wear. The Z214 C51 is a wonderful tire on my M3. As you down that list, the cost goes up and lifetime goes down. The Z214s will heat cycle out in about 18 sessions.

I like the Nitto NT01 as a DE tire because they are reasonably economical, do not chunk, and are good down to the cords, so they don't heat cycle out. NT-01s are poor in the wet. I use a set of Nitto NT05s as wets. NT05s also make for a good novice tire as they don't chunk even with hard use. Wet traction is good until almost all the tread is gone and they are okay in the dry down to the cords. NT-05s are also cheap and I'd rate them above the V12s. The NT01 is a DOTR, but behaves very much like a street tire.

There are other tire choices available as well. Some of that rubber you listed gets rather pricey. I personally don't like to buy speed - I'd rather just get better myself.

-Mike
Old 07-15-2016, 09:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Haha hi Ryan!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Haha hi Ryan!
Uh oh, I suspect there is something more going on here...

-Mike
Old 07-15-2016, 10:01 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36

-Mike
Yeah, did we just get 'punked', lol.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:00 AM
RyanZ06
Racer

As a novice, you don't need the most grip. You need a predictable tire that will hold up (not chunk) and likely need something that won't break the bank.

• Hankook Ventus RS-3

Of the 'kooks, the V12 is a good introductory tire for a street/track car. Good in the wet. As speeds and your skills go up they will start chunking and you will need to find something else. The RS-3 is a step up and is fairly immune from chunking. With tread depth it is decent in the wet, but gets poor in the wet rather quickly with wear. The Z214 C51 is a wonderful tire on my M3. As you down that list, the cost goes up and lifetime goes down. The Z214s will heat cycle out in about 18 sessions.

I like the Nitto NT01 as a DE tire because they are reasonably economical, do not chunk, and are good down to the cords, so they don't heat cycle out. NT-01s are poor in the wet. I use a set of Nitto NT05s as wets. NT05s also make for a good novice tire as they don't chunk even with hard use. Wet traction is good until almost all the tread is gone and they are okay in the dry down to the cords. NT-05s are also cheap and I'd rate them above the V12s. The NT01 is a DOTR, but behaves very much like a street tire.

There are other tire choices available as well. Some of that rubber you listed gets rather pricey. I personally don't like to buy speed - I'd rather just get better myself.

-Mike

Thats a lot of typing
Old 07-16-2016, 12:04 AM
RyanZ06
Racer

-Mike
I see you bought "THE" M3 that the COACH used to own. Have you managed to get the smell of urine and arrogance out of the seat?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:57 AM
TXE36
Drifting

I see you bought "THE" M3 that the COACH used to own. Have you managed to get the smell of urine and arrogance out of the seat?
That was easy to fix, I put in new seats! I even was able to sell the old driver's seat to some unsuspecting person at the TWS going out of business sale.

-Mike
Old 07-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 07-17-2016, 03:48 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

• Hankook Ventus RS-3

-Mike
IMO, you could consider Dunlap Direzzena tires for your car and appropriate speed rating. These tires were recommended by race engineers as a tire that is appropriate for new to DE driving and provide excellent feedback (bum or a**) for car control. You learn more if you get feedback from how the car is handling and then make the appropriate corrections. After learn and master control, then you move confidently to the next level of "sticky" tires. If you end is to be a proficient race or DE driver, the means to the end is more important than early fast times and never get to maximum outcome of the driver/car combo.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

A quick unsolicited advert for Dave...
I spent the day with him at HPR this past Friday. I'm not a slouch behind the wheel, but there was/is definitely room for improvement. And man oh man did we find some improvement. I've never felt as confident and comfortable in the car - picked up a couple of seconds/lap from where I've been this year.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Steve, thank you very much for the kind words and sentiment. It truly was a pleasure working with you & riding as your passenger! And yeah, we did find some things that really elevated your driving. I look forward to doing more with you!
Old 07-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Steve, thank you very much for the kind words and sentiment. It truly was a pleasure working with you & riding as your passenger! And yeah, we did find some things that really elevated your driving. I look forward to doing more with you!
I'll get some potential dates to you soon.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH