Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by kespiritu10
Been lurking the forums since I plan on either a Cayman GT4 or 997 GT3/or RS in the future. I'm currently doing NASA right now (started in 2015 w/two events), but I had a few questions. 1.) The reason I chose the GT4 is I don't want to purchase a car that is above my driving limits. I realized power isn't everything after a a few trackdays. 2.) I'm still learning the ropes, but how can you truly tell where the limits are of a tire? I'm currently using a set of Yokohama Advan AD08R's. I've been told, you can feel it and hear it. I'd rather not push myself to a point that I make a mistake and end up crashing. I have a few videos if you don't mind me posting? Thanks for your input. Just trying to play it safe and avoid causing injury to myself and others on the track.
Get someone really capable, like a good coach, to drive your car with you as a passenger, on track.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 853 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Be NICE, Scott!
Hey, I just pulled up a chair to watch the show!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:36 PM
kespiritu10
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere in this thread. Probably not the best first post. Here are a few videos.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Night DE? That takes things up a notch.

-Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 11:13 PM
kespiritu10
AutoX

Originally Posted by TXE36
Night DE? That takes things up a notch.

-Mike
Yup, first one. I had a few months hiatus till this track night. I ran this same course in the day time. The biggest thing I noticed is how much different it is hitting the apex and same line. It was a learning experience, but I felt like I had improved. I was much slower in the beginning.

What'd you think though? Decent for my second track day?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:07 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Yup, first one. I had a few months hiatus till this track night. I ran this same course in the day time. The biggest thing I noticed is how much different it is hitting the apex and same line. It was a learning experience, but I felt like I had improved. I was much slower in the beginning.

What'd you think though? Decent for my second track day?
Sure, I'd call it decent. Smooth inputs and it appeared you hit a lot of the apexes, but big caveat: I'm not familiar with the track and with the darkness it was hard to make stuff out. I suspect the darkness makes looking ahead more challenging than during the day.

I've never driven on the track in the dark and I'm just a weekend volunteer PCA instructor. Perhaps one of the coaches will offer something up.

I guess that's a great way to beat the heat in Arizona.

-Mike
Old 05-19-2016, 01:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

At two track days, how you are doing isn't particularly relavent to how you may do in the long run. It's too early to worry about it. Get some seat time and instruction. Have fun. Worry about how you "are doing" down the road.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:10 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Dan Clarke and Grant Maiman are both excellent and in that general area of the country.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
And any good coach will travel wherever clients need him/her. Those are both fun tracks!
Thank you for the information!

I'm not sure if it would be worth it for me to cover someone's trip out here. I'm just a hobbyist and the level of in-car instruction I can receive is severely limited by a substantial hearing loss (hopefully this is going to change thanks to a new helmet w/integrated electronics).

Being an engineer, I'm fascinated w/the thought of getting to analyze data from a pro in my car.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
At two track days, how you are doing isn't particularly relavent to how you may do in the long run. It's too early to worry about it. Get some seat time and instruction. Have fun. Worry about how you "are doing" down the road.
Agreed
Old 05-19-2016, 02:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,049 Likes on 1,789 Posts

Originally Posted by dgm8138
Thank you for the information!

Being an engineer, I'm fascinated w/the thought of getting to analyze data from a pro in my car.
I think either Dan (former IndyCar driver) or Grant (former Red Bull USA finalist) could provide you with reference data (a reference lap) that could keep you learning for YEARS... Plus, they're cool to hang out with. Both these guys are pretty fluent with data and VERY good with in-car video.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-19-2016, 03:37 PM
kespiritu10
AutoX

Originally Posted by TXE36
Sure, I'd call it decent. Smooth inputs and it appeared you hit a lot of the apexes, but big caveat: I'm not familiar with the track and with the darkness it was hard to make stuff out. I suspect the darkness makes looking ahead more challenging than during the day.

I've never driven on the track in the dark and I'm just a weekend volunteer PCA instructor. Perhaps one of the coaches will offer something up.

I guess that's a great way to beat the heat in Arizona.

-Mike
I appreciate the feedback. Yeah, it was better than driving during the summers.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:38 PM
kespiritu10
AutoX

Originally Posted by mglobe
Thanks Mike for the feedback.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:39 PM
kespiritu10
AutoX

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agreed
Thanks as well Veloce Raptor. I just feel like there is something I can improve upon even if it was a small area.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:55 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Been lurking the forums since I plan on either a Cayman GT4 or 997 GT3/or RS in the future. I'm currently doing NASA right now (started in 2015 w/two events), but I had a few questions.

1.) The reason I chose the GT4 is I don't want to purchase a car that is above my driving limits. I realized power isn't everything after a a few trackdays.

2.) I'm still learning the ropes, but how can you truly tell where the limits are of a tire? I'm currently using a set of Yokohama Advan AD08R's. I've been told, you can feel it and hear it. I'd rather not push myself to a point that I make a mistake and end up crashing.

I have a few videos if you don't mind me posting?

Thanks for your input. Just trying to play it safe and avoid causing injury to myself and others on the track.
Regarding feeling the limits of grip, something that helped me was car control school (skidpad, etc.) where you can slide and spin safely. Anything similar in your area? Maybe check with your PCA region. Other options are Porsche Sport Driving school at Barber MSP and the Porsche center in Atlanta. Those programs are a bit expensive but very good. Best of luck.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:01 PM
kespiritu10
AutoX

I'll be back in Atlanta next year so I've been planning on that driving experience they offer.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH